U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,959 times

Advertisements

On this site, tehre is some discussion I have seen on Sun Valley Middle, they are FINE schools, they are not brand new and therefore not aesthetically pleasing to some people..which is fine. Sun Valley High is getting a new gym that is to be completed in 07 according to the article I read in the paper.
For me we looked at the scores, along other factors and factored in the communities which were districted to that particular school and thought about if someone was buying a 300,000 home ...and not just one someone..many someones probably are ok with the schools. We also heard from others that they were pleased with the schools as well. So far I am pleased...I will not find any schools that are absolutely perfect and that is where I as a parent step in, to close that gap. All I want my children to get is an education, the morals, character training etc are considered by us to be our responsibility.
The scores for MATH in Union County and about 1/2 of the counties in NC went down dramatically because they changed the test and scoring. Read some of the aritcles in the newspaper (observer and the Union County section of it) They are also to my understanding doing the reading as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,959 times
Maybe I think you are placing too much emphasis on numbers vs ppl who have kids in the schools? We like the Indian Trail area, like pp said it is close to all sorts of things without being "urban". Plenty of neighborhoods have great amenities, we are not too far from teh Siskey YMCA, close to Carolina Place Mall, SouthPark Mall, TONS of food, about 25 minutes from Discovery Place in the middle of downtown, close to Charlotte, there is ice and roller skating, a multitude of Targets/Lowes etc within a 20 min drive in either direction, 2 hours from the mountains (Boone) and 3 hours from the beach.

With the internet I have said before it is VERY easy to research yourself to death and know or think you know too much about an area, visit it, see if you like it , you should feel at home and comfortable, you can read statitics all day but until you visit you don't get a true feeling for the area. There were places in Charlotte..we stayed while visiting, I just didn't like, I didn't feel comfortable there and I knew I didn't want to live near the area.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 AM

197 posts, read 667,671 times
I agree with the pp. I think numbers can be misleading and what is good for someone may not be good for someone else. My son is dyslexic and he is in Weddington Schools and they have good scores but our biggest attraction to them is that they are good with LD/special needs kids. We have been very happy wtih Weddington and I have no issues with strict dress codes in the middle school - it keeps the focus on learning imo.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 AM

60 posts, read 112,466 times
construction has been underway and still going on Sun Valley High

Old 02-11-2007, 08:56 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,443,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
I agree with the pp. I think numbers can be misleading and what is good for someone may not be good for someone else. My son is dyslexic and he is in Weddington Schools and they have good scores but our biggest attraction to them is that they are good with LD/special needs kids. We have been very happy wtih Weddington and I have no issues with strict dress codes in the middle school - it keeps the focus on learning imo.
I agree! I also think that numbers can be misleading and I am the first to say (and have said many times on this very board) that test scores are not the only indication of how one's child will perform in school, or test schools don't define a school. And really, that was my point. However, I see it here time and again, test scores, test scores, test scores ... people seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this.

And, perception plays a big factor. It seems that a long time ago someone decided that certain schools were bad, and by golly they'll never live down that reputation, deserved or not. But I suppose that extends to multiple areas of life.

We had a Realtor insist that we needed to be in a neighborhood that fed into Porter Ridge schools. We're not. Does that mean the children in my neighborhood are doomed to lives of failure?

SL

Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 AM

743 posts, read 2,025,175 times
When I started researching last spring, there were no scores posted yet for Porter Ridge. On my first trip down here, the first thing I did before looking at houses was visit the schools. Where I moved from EVERY school had portables, more than one more like at least six per school in the county. I looked at Weddington schools and all I saw were portables. Yes they are building but who would know where my kids would end up. Last fall they did not know exactly where some parts of Wesley Chapel would end up and I did not want them in Monroe schools, city schools that is. I then went to Porter Ridge and saw the campus. That is one thing you will never get from the report cards. Visiting makes all the difference. It is a new campus, all three schools together, no portables or overcrowding, everybody was friendly and helpful, answered all my questions, directed me in terms of day care or after school care. Even today they are still helping out whenever I speak to their teachers in terms of getting familiar with the area. When my boys were struggling at first because of the change, they requested a conference immediately and we nipped it in the bud before it got worse. They helped them with the change. The curriculum here was a little ahead than where we came from. They had a parent helper work one on one with my oldest to get him up to par. And now he has no problems and right on track with the rest of the class. Of course I don't know everything about Weddington as the one visit stopped my research but I can tell you about PR and I highly recommend them. Yes the scores may be at or below the rest of the schools but you also have to look at the surrounding area. Indian Trail is still rural. And honestly when you get to rural areas, scores are a little lower. Just look at Parkwood.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM

235 posts, read 665,148 times
my head is spinning, I feel like tossing a coin and saying heads this area and tails this area..lol... I too liked the porter ridge and for me I am sooo tired of teachers teaching to tests. We have that here in NY and yes they score exceptionally well but HELLO where is SS and Science and everything that is not reading and math!! As for dress code, my daughter is in middle school here no dress code everyone wears jeans and sneakers and shirts its a sea of denim and their school had OUTSTANDING test scores, I don't think how one dressed influences them in how they sit and think and listen in school. I agree we should not allow our kids to come to school as if it were a beach or half naked....but I think uniforms are uncalled for it is just an added expense you still need at least 5 pair of pants and shirts....and regular clothes for when they come out of school!! Just my thoughts...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,443,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
my head is spinning, I feel like tossing a coin and saying heads this area and tails this area..lol... I too liked the porter ridge and for me I am sooo tired of teachers teaching to tests. We have that here in NY and yes they score exceptionally well but HELLO where is SS and Science and everything that is not reading and math!!
Unfortunately that is across the country, courtest of NCLB. Teachers hands are tied.

SL

Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 PM

197 posts, read 667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
but I think uniforms are uncalled for it is just an added expense you still need at least 5 pair of pants and shirts....and regular clothes for when they come out of school!! Just my thoughts...

There are only 3 years in Weddington that require it (middle school) and they are actually "normal" clothes and not a real uniform- they just have to wear khakis and blue or white shirts (or something to this effect) - they can wear those same clothes after school - its no big deal.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
the middle and hs just opened how can they be below already??? I find that hard to believe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte