U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 PM

197 posts, read 668,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
my head is spinning, I feel like tossing a coin and saying heads this area and tails this area..lol... I too liked the porter ridge and for me I am sooo tired of teachers teaching to tests. We have that here in NY and yes they score exceptionally well but HELLO where is SS and Science and everything that is not reading and math!!
Also, I can't speak for the other schools but Weddington has SS, Science, music, an awesome art dept., pe, spanish, computer - so they are all still there.

And if you like Porter Ridge the new Marvin Ridge Schools will probably be awesome for facilites and what they have to offer. A lot has to do wtih how much money the parents and surrounding area gives the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,453,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
Also, I can't speak for the other schools but Weddington has SS, Science, music, an awesome art dept., pe, spanish, computer - so they are all still there.

And if you like Porter Ridge the new Marvin Ridge Schools will probably be awesome for facilites and what they have to offer. A lot has to do wtih how much money the parents and surrounding area gives the school.
Oh I know the other subjects and extra curriculars are still there. It's just that NCLB limits teachers in that students must be able to perform well on standardized testing in order for the schools to receive federal funding.

Please understand that I am not knocking any one school. I believe PR, Weddington, etc are very good schools. I'm just baffled when I see some of the criteria used to determine what's a "good" school and what's a "bad" school. KWIM?

Now you've made a point I wasn't previously aware of ... certain schools within a county receive more funding than others? Now that confuses me. Back in Jersey schools are run by the city or township not the county. Thus, there are huge disparities between schools that sometimes neighbor one another because of the district line. But it looks like I made a very bad assumption here that since schools here are county run, that the county distributes an equal amount of funding per student regardless of what neighborhood the school is in. Am I making any sense here?

SL

Old 02-11-2007, 01:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,453,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
the middle and hs just opened how can they be below already??? I find that hard to believe....
Go to Union County Public Schools website and check out the schools report cards. Currently the schools mentioned have not met the goals established to make them compliant with NCLB. Please note that I am not knocking these schools, or judging them on this criteria alone. But I keep hearing a heavy emphasis on test scores here and the fact remains that schools that have been portrayed right here on this board as "bad" schools rate higher in some instances than the so-called "good" schools. Besides, as parents, we play an important role in our children's success too. It can't all be left up to the schools to do the job.

As parents, we all get to establish what's best for our children, what schools are in line with our priorities but, I don't like the assumption that some children are receiving a far lesser education because of where they live within the county.

SL

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,645,524 times
It may depend on demographics..I don't think that some schools re better funded in that respect, the ones in the west near Meck are growing fast so yes they would need more money, but others are VERY rural in the eastern part of the county and in Monroe according to stats, there is a lot of diversity and I didn't check the poverty levels but that can play a HUGE role in how schools test etc. Poverty doesn't mean you don't score as well, but sometimes they don't have as many resources (parents, education, money, transportation, school supplies) as other school areas may.
I haven't researched it that far but just some ideas.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,645,524 times
They have also changed math standards currently. The No Child Left Behind is a huge factor, it doesn't take into account disabled children who truly can't be on par with mainstream children plus children who are just learned English. Those all affect test scores. There are large populations in some parts of the CMS, Union areas that have children who have another language as a first language other than English and there are going to be dsiabled children. I just read an article about it, a child with CP who had to take the test, she felt so dumb she said..how sad is that?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM

235 posts, read 665,979 times
I wonder how well schools would do if we didn't place a HUGE emphasis on the test and just used them as a guide, to tell the teachers in what area the kids need more work, not to mention not everyone tests well and everyone has a bad day!! acckk stupid tests....why didn't they seem so important when we were kids??? Maybe if we let mommies run the schools they would do better...lol..here in NY the mayor and his friends run the schools and niether of them are parents.....brilliant...what do they know?? MEN!!!
LOL...

Old 02-11-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
They have also changed math standards currently. The No Child Left Behind is a huge factor, it doesn't take into account disabled children who truly can't be on par with mainstream children plus children who are just learned English. Those all affect test scores. There are large populations in some parts of the CMS, Union areas that have children who have another language as a first language other than English and there are going to be dsiabled children. I just read an article about it, a child with CP who had to take the test, she felt so dumb she said..how sad is that?

I know...my son is dyslexic and although the school is great about accomodating his needs that stupid standardized test requires him to read at at grade level when most LD kids are 2 grade levels behind by the very definition of LD...its just stupid...

Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,805,648 times
I agree both my kids test HORRIBLY as my dh and I did as well...I hate those standardized tests and I agree that its sad that these schools only use those tests for their scores...when I spoke to the Union County District they said the MATH TEST was twice as hard as the year before since they changed that test, that is why ALL THE MATH scores dropped tremendously...I think that parent involvment and administration and of course teachers is what makes a school what it is...I know that 2 of the schools im looking at are Honor Of Excellence...which is the highest...

just check ncreportcard.org

Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Now you've made a point I wasn't previously aware of ... certain schools within a county receive more funding than others? Now that confuses me. Back in Jersey schools are run by the city or township not the county. Thus, there are huge disparities between schools that sometimes neighbor one another because of the district line. But it looks like I made a very bad assumption here that since schools here are county run, that the county distributes an equal amount of funding per student regardless of what neighborhood the school is in. Am I making any sense here?
SL
I'm sure the schools do receive the same amount of money from the county according to the regulations but for example, I know my son has gone to Waxhaw Elementary and Weddington Elementary and Weddington by far and away blows Waxhaw away as far as fundraisers and the amount of donations they get from parent families, those parent's businesses etc. Just a lot more money pumps into schools in more affluent areas becasue the parents donate to money to the schools their kids attend via fundraisers

Old 02-11-2007, 10:20 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,805,648 times
according the scores wm your correct, the schools in Waxhaw itself werent for us that is why we leaned where we did..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte