U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Greensboro to Belgium to Michigan to Charlotte
109 posts, read 305,179 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are relocating at the end of October from MI to Charlotte. We lived in Greensboro, NC, for about 15 years, so I know NC, I just don't know Charlotte that well. I'm drowning in Trulia & Realtor.com looking at all of the south of Charlotte communities. I'd like to be somewhat informed before we meet with our relocation realtor. So, I'm looking for input, here are our stats:

* husband's office is near Weddington - and we travel to GA to visit grandparents alot, so we'd like to stay south of Charlotte
* 2 boys - ages 9 and 12 - into little league soccer & baseball
* would LIKE a school system that has an orchestra as part of the music program
* don't mind being in a smaller community, but it would be nice to have swimming pool/tennis access
* max amount we want to spend on a house is $350 or so
* we love older homes, but don't mind being in a new one either

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:42 AM
 
96 posts, read 176,690 times
Reputation: 38
Myer's Park and Dillworth if you can afford it! these places are awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheloveslife View Post
Hi everyone. We are relocating at the end of October from MI to Charlotte. We lived in Greensboro, NC, for about 15 years, so I know NC, I just don't know Charlotte that well. I'm drowning in Trulia & Realtor.com looking at all of the south of Charlotte communities. I'd like to be somewhat informed before we meet with our relocation realtor. So, I'm looking for input, here are our stats:

* husband's office is near Weddington - and we travel to GA to visit grandparents alot, so we'd like to stay south of Charlotte
* 2 boys - ages 9 and 12 - into little league soccer & baseball
* would LIKE a school system that has an orchestra as part of the music program
* don't mind being in a smaller community, but it would be nice to have swimming pool/tennis access
* max amount we want to spend on a house is $350 or so
* we love older homes, but don't mind being in a new one either

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone.
In your price range you'll have many options Sounds like western Union county is definitely where you want to be. You'll find everything you are looking for except perhaps orchestra. So on our real estate maps look at area 10. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRoverSnob View Post
Myer's Park and Dillworth if you can afford it! these places are awesome!
uh, the husband is going to be working in WEDDINGTON? Though I too love Dilworth and Myers Park, you can't really buy a family home in this person's price range there. Sorry to disagree with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
 
807 posts, read 2,041,880 times
Reputation: 459
If he is working in Weddington, you can live in Weddington or Waxhaw. Lots of homes in the area, best just to drive down here and get lost looking around. The choices will make your head spin.

I'm sure others can chime in on the band situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
 
55 posts, read 154,412 times
Reputation: 44
Waxhaw is probably a bit more economical than Waxhaw. My wife is currently working on a deal where her clients will be able to buy a new house, 3000+ sq ft, 5br, 3ba for under 300k. That will most likely include all appliances, window coverings and generous closing help. The house is in Waxhaw and includes child-friend amenities like a pool, bball court, clubhouse, etc. You have several options. Connect with a good real estate broker that knows the area and they can help you find a great deal. It's still a buyer's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
If he is working in Weddington, you can live in Weddington or Waxhaw. Lots of homes in the area, best just to drive down here and get lost looking around. The choices will make your head spin.

I'm sure others can chime in on the band situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
 
168 posts, read 430,749 times
Reputation: 29
We Live near Millbridge on Kensington Rd. Waxhaw. New elementary School down the road. Beautiful community. Lots of Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,311 posts, read 4,223,211 times
Reputation: 1088
You could consider Lancaster Co, SC, as well. It's not too far from Weddington. There are plenty of communities that are in that price range in that section of SC. Houses tend to be cheaper, and taxes are lower in SC. That said, I'd live as close as possible to work, for commuting and quality of life.
I'd agree with earlier posters that western Union County is probably your best bet. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case you hadn't thought of it. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
1,891 posts, read 5,546,369 times
Reputation: 749
Here are some places to start: Raintree, Landen Meadows, Providence Pointe in South Charlotte, and try Hunter Oaks, Somerset and the Reserve in Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
 
797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
Reputation: 211
Ballantyne if you want to be near all the nice restaurants etc. Waxhaw, Weddington if you want to be a bit further away from all the shops etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top