Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,320 times

Advertisements

You don't get to necessarily choose. There are neighborhood schools, you can go to the Union county website and see exactly by plugging in a street address or looking at the district map where things stand right now. My daughter goes to elementary school about 3-4 miles away from home and my son goes about 2 miles down the road. The schools they go to are good, some ppl don't like them based on how they look but they are safe, clean and good schools with good teachers. Visit the schools, contact the principal and talk to them. Some ppl will not like certain schools, some will, but they ar enot you so you will definitely need to footwork on your own behalf. Research and listen/read other views, narrow and investigate for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 02:05 PM

217 posts, read 890,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
There is no bussing in the traditional sense of the word in Union County. You are zoned for the school that is deemed closest to you - i.e. your neighborhood school. Now, your kids may have to take a 40 minute bus ride to get there depending on where you live relative to the school but they are zoned for the closest school and are not bussing kids across town to diversify or anything like that.
Ok that is what I was wondering.For example if we were in Waxhaw he would go to school in Waxhaw? Now, does teh quality of the schools vary with in the counties? for example are the schools in MAtthews better tahn some of the other CMS?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
You don't get to necessarily choose. There are neighborhood schools, you can go to the Union county website and see exactly by plugging in a street address or looking at the district map where things stand right now. My daughter goes to elementary school about 3-4 miles away from home and my son goes about 2 miles down the road. The schools they go to are good, some ppl don't like them based on how they look but they are safe, clean and good schools with good teachers. Visit the schools, contact the principal and talk to them. Some ppl will not like certain schools, some will, but they ar enot you so you will definitely need to footwork on your own behalf. Research and listen/read other views, narrow and investigate for yourself.

I could care less how they look. as long as my kid is safe and getting a quality education.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debct View Post
Thank you you, now would i be able to choose what school he goes to? I may just go ahead and talk to someone. I find sometimes the best thing to do is get things straight from the horses mouth!
Again, I'm not sure why we had a choice between two different schools. I never asked. And incidentally, my boy does not attend either school (but this was a personal decision that had nothing to do with the school choices we were given).

If your neighborhood school is over capacity, you can opt to have your child sent to another school, as long as it is not also overcapacity. I don't know the particulars about how this works but, I know it can be done and I don't believe it's a complicated process (at least not how it was explained to me by a school official).

I think if I were you I would start by deciding which towns interested me. Is it Waxhaw? Indian Trail? Etc.

Then, I'd narrow it down to neighborhoods that interested me.

Then, I'd find out which schools service those neighborhoods, check out the stats online, visit the schools and talk to the principal, teachers, walk the halls, etc. (We were allowed and encouraged to do all of the above.)

I'd also ask for opinions and insight from parents in the housing developments that interest you.

Remember, some schools are too new for meaningful stats and others are experiencing serious growing pains. I think most schools have learning cottages (um, trailers -- which in my opinion upset parents more than the children) due to extreme growth patterns. Others schools have great scores but are housed in older buildings. Some schools have uniform policies (this one still confuses me a bit) and there are schools on traditional calendars and schools on year-round calendars. You have to decide what matters most to you and your family. Whatever you decide, I doubt you'll go wrong. Overall, I believe UCPS is doing a great job, especially under the circumstances. The county is building schools as fast as it can. Not easy to keep up with the explosion in population.

Again, best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

SL

Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I could care less how they look. as long as my kid is safe and getting a quality education.
I couldn't agree more! But I have been humored more than once upon reading here that a parent would not send their child to a school that was so "old" (meaning appearance)!!! Such posters usually admit that the scores at these schools are good but, with so many new schools to choose from ....

Coming from Jersey, I've never seen such an infatuation with all things new in my life. We moved from a house that was 104-years-old into a 3-year-old resale -- which is more than new enough! If I had to guess, I would say that most schools in Jersey were built in the 50s, and the building itself (as long as it is structurally safe and comfortable) usually have far less on the children's learning capabilities than the parents involvement, the skills of the teachers and the students eagerness to learn.

SL

Old 02-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Ok that is what I was wondering.For example if we were in Waxhaw he would go to school in Waxhaw? Now, does teh quality of the schools vary with in the counties? for example are the schools in MAtthews better tahn some of the other CMS?
Yes, qualities of individual schools within a county can vary. Check out greatschools.net

SL

Old 02-10-2007, 05:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I couldn't agree more! But I have been humored more than once upon reading here that a parent would not send their child to a school that was so "old" (meaning appearance)!!! Such posters usually admit that the scores at these schools are good but, with so many new schools to choose from ....

Coming from Jersey, I've never seen such an infatuation with all things new in my life. We moved from a house that was 104-years-old into a 3-year-old resale -- which is more than new enough! If I had to guess, I would say that most schools in Jersey were built in the 50s, and the building itself (as long as it is structurally safe and comfortable) usually have far less on the children's learning capabilities than the parents involvement, the skills of the teachers and the students eagerness to learn.

SL
I am 100% with Sara. I don't know what the appearance of a school (with great scores and feedback) has to do with anything. It is the quality of the education that is being taught inside that counts. A few of the folks too will tell you that the parents who have issues with the more run down schools or schools using trailers are actually more upset about it than the kids themselves who are attending. Better quality of life is certainly not achieved by having the "finer" things IMHO. Good luck with your decision and your move. We have been researching like crazy for over 6 months and are just waiting to take the actual physical steps to relocating. Our current home is about 108 years old so to use something built in the 60's would be new...LOL. Best of luck

Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Again, I'm not sure why we had a choice between two different schools. I never asked. And incidentally, my boy does not attend either school (but this was a personal decision that had nothing to do with the school choices we were given).

If your neighborhood school is over capacity, you can opt to have your child sent to another school, as long as it is not also overcapacity. I don't know the particulars about how this works but, I know it can be done and I don't believe it's a complicated process (at least not how it was explained to me by a school official).

I think if I were you I would start by deciding which towns interested me. Is it Waxhaw? Indian Trail? Etc.

Then, I'd narrow it down to neighborhoods that interested me.

Then, I'd find out which schools service those neighborhoods, check out the stats online, visit the schools and talk to the principal, teachers, walk the halls, etc. (We were allowed and encouraged to do all of the above.)

I'd also ask for opinions and insight from parents in the housing developments that interest you.

Remember, some schools are too new for meaningful stats and others are experiencing serious growing pains. I think most schools have learning cottages (um, trailers -- which in my opinion upset parents more than the children) due to extreme growth patterns. Others schools have great scores but are housed in older buildings. Some schools have uniform policies (this one still confuses me a bit) and there are schools on traditional calendars and schools on year-round calendars. You have to decide what matters most to you and your family. Whatever you decide, I doubt you'll go wrong. Overall, I believe UCPS is doing a great job, especially under the circumstances. The county is building schools as fast as it can. Not easy to keep up with the explosion in population.

Again, best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

SL
Just being a bit nosey,are you homeschooling? Thanks for teh heads up on the year round calender. That would just make planning visits home tricky.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
I am 100% with Sara. I don't know what the appearance of a school (with great scores and feedback) has to do with anything. It is the quality of the education that is being taught inside that counts. A few of the folks too will tell you that the parents who have issues with the more run down schools or schools using trailers are actually more upset about it than the kids themselves who are attending. Better quality of life is certainly not achieved by having the "finer" things IMHO. Good luck with your decision and your move. We have been researching like crazy for over 6 months and are just waiting to take the actual physical steps to relocating. Our current home is about 108 years old so to use something built in the 60's would be new...LOL. Best of luck
Oh I could care less if it is a state of teh ar new construction or a trailer. as along as he is safe and learning . Good grief, people do get worked up over little things.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:46 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,320 times
That was the first I'd heard of that and it was on these boards As long as the school is safe, clean (for a school), and all the other previously mentioned things..I have no problem. The schools my kids go to were probably built in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte