Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 AM

457 posts, read 1,376,884 times

Advertisements

Jim Brickman, whose simple, straightfoward solo piano melodies have made an extraordinary breakthrough onto soft-rock radio. I've seen him in concert before and it thoroughly enjoyable, he gets the audience into his music.

Jim Brickman : Calendar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Been to three Jim Brickman concerts! I am amazed - had not even checked his tour schedule - cause it used to be we went for Christmas every year in KCMO. So had you not posted . . . now I need to find out about tickets. Thanx, UNCGdad!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Anytime Ani, unfortunately, I'll be driving to NJ the 23rd, I'm bummed....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Anytime Ani, unfortunately, I'll be driving to NJ the 23rd, I'm bummed....
You are kidding. Oh yeah, so close to Christmas Day . . . we also used to do either Mannheim Steamroller or Trans-Siberian Orchestra but haven't been able to work out dates w/ either of those since moving here, either. Trans-Siberian was here in CLT on the 20th and that was not a good date for us . . . and Mannheim Steamroller was the 30th and that wasn't a good date for us, either. I hope we can work out the Brickman concert, tho.

Our DS and his g/f will enjoy the Brickman concert w/ us. That would really be a nice Christmas touch.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 AM

Oh well. They are sold out. The scalpers want from $290 to $380 per ticket, LOL. I should have checked this out months ago . . . looks like tickets went on sale in Sept.

Guess we will just be playing some Brickman CDs, LOL!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM

Oh no, I guess I should have checked that before posting the thread...I was listening to his christmas cd yesterday in the car...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Oh no, I guess I should have checked that before posting the thread...I was listening to his christmas cd yesterday in the car...
Been listening to it here, too! Well, it was worth checking out - and I am making a mental note that since Brickman booked a sold out concert here this year, maybe he will be back next year . . . so I will be looking at his schedule and buying tickets EARLY in 2009!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Just had to mention . . . since we can't get tickets I don't guess anyone would mind going off topic JUST A BIT . . . if you like Brickman, you have to check out Keiko Matsui (artist and composer). Sooo enjoyed her concert in the 90s (Kansas) and have been a huge fan since. Sadly, it seems she never comes to NC.

Keiko Matsui – Listen free at Last.fm

Right hand side - they have some music there you can sample . . . "Beyond the Light" and "Safari" amongst them . . . Safari is one of my faves.

I had a big adjustment when I moved back to NC, cause we don't have a decent smooth jazz radio station here. We had a wonderful station back in KCMO. Yeah, I am complaining. I listened to that station all day, every day. I really really miss having a good station here b/c I kept up w/ new and emerging artists this way, as well as enjoying favorites. They also played world music . . . celtic . . . tribal . . .As crazy as it sounds, missing my radio station made my adjustment here a lot more rocky than it should have been. Of course, I have my iPod and put together my own songlists, but that is NOT the same as having a DJ surprise you w/ new material. I can't believe there are not enuff of us out here who enjoy this type of music to warrant having a radio station that provides us our tunes, LOL. If we did, then we would draw more of this genre of artists here.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Ani, I like Keiko Matsui too, NY and Philly had pretty good smooth jazz stations I listened too, I am very surprised there's no jazz station here in Charlotte. How about live streaming a jazz station, have you tried that?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Ani, I like Keiko Matsui too, NY and Philly had pretty good smooth jazz stations I listened too, I am very surprised there's no jazz station here in Charlotte. How about live streaming a jazz station, have you tried that?
Yes, I do the live streaming but it buffers and hiccoughs a lot, LOL. I gave up a few years back and only occasionally do a live stream . . now I tune in some every day to TW's smooth jazz or whatever they call it on the cable.

Programming here is very lacking and I feel I can say that, being a native, and having complained about them since the 80s, LOL. Back then, I could catch maybe 3 hours a nite of space music - nada w/ smooth jazz (late 80s). I think it holds CLT back not to have a more sophisticated and eclectic radio station. The demographics surely are not being represented w/ the programming on stations here. They have managed to completely leave out a lot of us . . . I enjoy my classic rock, Indie, contemporary country, etc. too . . . but not to even have a CHOICE w/ smooth jazz . . .

I suspect some people don't even know what they are missing cause they aren't exposed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte