Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,063 times

Advertisements

Just thinking out loud and not to be a negative ninny but Charlotte was a golden child last year now we are looking tarnished.

Prayers to all Wachovia employees! Especially since the Holidays are only 60-90 away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Just thinking out loud and not to be a negative ninny but Charlotte was a golden child last year now we are looking tarnished.

Prayers to all Wachovia employees! Especially since the Holidays are only 60-90 away!
Yes, prayers and support . . . this situation will affect ALL of Charlotte and hopefully, the impact will not be as dramatic as we fear.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Those of you quoting the 20K jobs.....the problem is that Citigroup only bought the banking portion, so how many of those 20K are actually banking or investing?

The rest of Wachovia is yet to be determined or bought out.

There is still a huge amount of uncertainty with much of that company.

The fall out from this could be well over what the Wachovia problem is. For example, my DH's firm audits Wachovia as their largest client in the auditing dept. in Charlotte. They may have to all go out of Charlotte. Thankfully, my DH isn't in that department.

We just don't really know yet what will happen.

Dawn

Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM

928 posts, read 3,851,638 times
I beleive when the new ceo stepped in they announced job cuts then. Are those job cuts included in those numbers that people are quoting on here, or are they additional job losses?

This is an interesting and scary journey for Charlotte Right Now!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:40 AM

257 posts, read 669,379 times
One thing that I would have concern about is what will this do to the "money" in Charlotte. It seems like the bank is going to be sold very cheap. I would assume many people in Charlotte have a lot of Wachovia stock. Is it now worthless or more diluted? I am not a financial genious but I would think that could have a huge impact over time. The old CEO should really get in major trouble for this. Also, I read where Steel may be in trouble b/c he went on CNBC last week and said everything was ok. The stockholders are really going to get screwed.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Default Merger Downsizing?

The last I read was up to 25% of Wachovia's current workforce based in Charlotte by 2010, but who knows? It's all speculation at this point.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times
Loves, you are correct: TAKE A DEEP BREATH PEOPLE!
Most of you are making it sound as though this is the is the fall of the Roman Empire.

Banking is not the only game in town!

Although I do feel for all local Wachovia employees, this thread is as depressing as reading the obituaries. Where are all the optimists when you need 'em?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM

74 posts, read 142,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
This is an interesting and scary journey for Charlotte Right Now!
Maybe this is the perfect time to show the country and the world just how strong Charlotte really is. Both as an economic strength and a community. Focus energy on what we still have and look for and invest in ways to make the city more diversified and better equipped to handle situations like this in the future. We shall come out stronger than we were before! Who's with me in this ideology??

Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Well my household are hoping for the best. At this point it is out of our hands and in someone else's. Worried yes! Concerned Yes! Going to make it? Yes!

I am just thankful my family have there health!

We are here Stmaarten

Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, prayers and support . . . this situation will affect ALL of Charlotte and hopefully, the impact will not be as dramatic as we fear.
Prayers go out to the people in Charlotte.

We are going through the same sort of thing here in Seattle with the loss of WaMu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte