U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Here are some of what CITI considers benefits to acquiring Wachovia:

Retail Banking Benefits:

Technology
Strong in-house retail and commercial banking platform
Highly scalable
Expect a 2-year time frame for migration to Wachovia platform
Strong Talent Pool
Integration capabilities
Successful track record of merger integrations
Opportunity to market in 3,346 Wachovia branches (e.g. Cards/Consumer Finance

Corporate and Investment Banking:

Top 3 largest domestic cash management services provider
Complements Citi’s global footprint
U.S. mid-market corporate franchise enhances Citi’s position

Not finding much to suggest what will happen w/ actual operations of overlapping products . . . nothing about absorption of jobs . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,476,536 times
Wachovia's Sale Could Mean Layoffs In Charlotte - Money News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM

To those asking about stock . . . things will rebound. Citi will be a good match w/ Wachovia.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Those of you quoting the 20K jobs.....the problem is that Citigroup only bought the banking portion, so how many of those 20K are actually banking or investing?

The rest of Wachovia is yet to be determined or bought out.

There is still a huge amount of uncertainty with much of that company.

The fall out from this could be well over what the Wachovia problem is. For example, my DH's firm audits Wachovia as their largest client in the auditing dept. in Charlotte. They may have to all go out of Charlotte. Thankfully, my DH isn't in that department.

We just don't really know yet what will happen.

Dawn
Well here’s my good news/bad news take…

Good news – As noted, the retail bank will still be headquartered here, and I’ve said many times before that any acquisition would see the acquirer keep a major portion of workers here. So with the retail bank here, that will insure a lot of jobs stay and even some execs. Also, as you’ve said, there is still a Wachovia. Evergreen will still be here and even though Wachovia Securities is headquarted in St. Louis, my understanding is that there are still several hundreds if not thousands of Wachovia Securities people in Charlotte. CNBC also just reported what I suggested this morning, that Wachovia Securities will look to consider buying some other bank in the future. So for all the Pat McCrory/Chamber types, the news that Wachovia as a corporation will still be here is good news, and the city is actually picking up a new corporate citizen in Citi.

Bad News – Groups like Commercial Banking and IT will move to New York, and with that, will see several job losses. Also ancillary services like local accounting and legal that supported those business units will more than likely see several job losses, rather internal or outsourced currently. But at the end of the day, I think Charlotte will come out much better than Wachovia locations in the Northeast like Philly, where there is overlap in retail and commercial clients

Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
To those asking about stock . . . things will rebound. Citi will be a good match w/ Wachovia.
Unless Citi's stock swirls further down the toilet. Who's interested in buying Citi these days?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
Is there anyway that the mayor and governor, senators, the people we have elected in our state, can do anything to persuade Citi-Bank to keep a large portion of the business here? If Charlotte loses a large amount of employees, it not only affects Charlotte, but the entire western part of N.C. Does anybody know if the mayor or governor has made any statement?

Of course they can persude them to stay: money talks! A few kajillion in tax credits ought to do the trick.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM

31 posts, read 95,225 times
Default Still value in Wachovia

Hi,

Here's a brief and more positive spin on the remainder of the company:

The New Wachovia - BusinessWeek

Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Unless Citi's stock swirls further down the toilet. Who's interested in buying Citi these days?
Morgan Keegan is saying Wach stock is probably worth $5-7 . . .

"I would say that what is left -- the retail brokerage and Evergreen -- is worth about $5 a share to $7 a share," said Robert Patten, a banking analyst with Morgan Keegan & Co.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 PM

161 posts, read 369,051 times
Quote:
Bad News Groups like Commercial Banking and IT will move to New York, and with that, will see several job losses

Can I ask where you got this information? I would hope indeed your wrong. I also hope smoke was not blown up my DH butt when he was told IT and infrastructure would remain in Charlotte.

The feeling there today, and I know it is early, is a restructure but not a major loss. Like any merger though, it will take months to work out. So fingers crossed!

I do agree this is a depressing thread!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,669,343 times
Wachovia's problems will seem miniscule if the bailout bill is not finalized in some sort of way! If there is still a lot of rancor over this, the Dow-Jones will be at 9000 by tomorrow afternoon. Those European banks seem to be just as shaky as ours! I guess they all took Gordon Gekko at his word - "Greed is Good". As I'm writing this the bill has failed! Hold on to your wallets and bankbooks, it's going to be a bumpy ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte