U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

79 posts, read 192,974 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have good luck with tulips here? There is nothing like seeing beautiful red tulips in the spring but they seem to struggle here. Are there certain types that do better than others? I know I will have to use blood meal and probably dig them up to refridgerate in the fall next year. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,616,717 times
It a good time to plant tulip bulbs before the first frost which can be in October (watch the 7 day forecast to know when it coming.

I have had great luck with tulips and Iris if you want the best recommindations call or stop by the Mecklenburg County Cooperative Extension. They may even have bulbs to buy. Phone number on the home page

If you are not in Mecklenburg try this site to pick your county in NC. North Carolina Cooperative Extension: County Centers

After you plant them cover them with chicken wire to prevent squirrels from eating the bulbs.
Also use a mixture of Bone Meal .

Good luck and show us on this forums photos of blooms next spring on this forum.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Sunny gave you great advice! I would only add an emphasis to the chicken wire to keep squirrels out. I have lost literally dozens of bulbs due to squirrels. I planted 3 dozen beautiful Stella D'Oro bulbs when we first moved here and three came up. The squirrels dug them all up! We found one coming up out in the woods, LOL, where one of the little critters had evidently stashed it!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:41 PM

21,986 posts, read 27,287,306 times
In the spring, spread some human hair around the bulbs. You can ask a hairdresser or barber for it. That will deter the rabbits & squirrels from eating the flowers.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In the spring, spread some human hair around the bulbs. You can ask a hairdresser or barber for it. That will deter the rabbits & squirrels from eating the flowers.
will dog hair work I can get plenty of that on this sheltie after one brushing.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
will dog hair work I can get plenty of that on this sheltie after one brushing.
It just might, Sunny. Give it a try. The human hair retains a scent that scares them off. I've done it for years. I would think that sheltie hair would do the same, especially since shelties love to chase them around.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,454,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hi Southbound. Just want to add that this trick really works and even more so, than any of the store bought stuff. If you have a patch that is grown for vegetation and not show, than you can leave a worn t-shirt and the human smell will deter the deer, fox, rabbit, etc.. In the flower beds, the hair works best. Of course, the best solution is to send DH or DS out after dark to "leave" a scent and lightly water. That keeps them away for alot longer than hair.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-29-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: fixed the quote

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Hi Southbound. Just want to add that this trick really works and even more so, than any of the store bought stuff. If you have a patch that is grown for vegetation and not show, than you can leave a worn t-shirt and the human smell will deter the deer, fox, rabbit, etc.. In the flower beds, the hair works best. Of course, the best solution is to send DH or DS out after dark to "leave" a scent and lightly water. That keeps them away for alot longer than hair.
Thanks for the back-up Doorway! I've taken a tall kitchen trash bag to my hairdressers who were happy to fill the bag for me, for free.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 PM

another tip

Around this area in this state our weather can fluctuate.
We may have a cold snap in November and a warm snap in December (football, bocce kind of weather) and in January your plants may begin to sprout use fabric and not plastic to cover your tender plants. Fabric breaths , plastic smothers

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
another tip

Around this area in this state our weather can fluctuate.
We may have a cold snap in November and a warm snap in December (football, bocce kind of weather) and in January your plants may begin to sprout use fabric and not plastic to cover your tender plants. Fabric breaths , plastic smothers
Great points Sunny. The plants get really confused when it's freezing cold the 2nd week of December & you're walking around barefoot New Years Eve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte