Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM

228 posts, read 908,842 times

Advertisements

First off, Ani, you crack me up as usual! :-)

And second, seriously..."They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!"

I am pretty sure I am very busy here in Charlotte. I travel all over, am constantly on the road, on a plane, running from here to there, trying to balance a professional and social life. I STILL find time to smile and say hi to people I pass. It's called common courtesy, being friendly, not being a ....(put in any expletive you choose).

I was brought up and taught to treat others with resepct-a positive attitude will be met with a positive attitude. I go out of my way to hold open the doors to hold the doors for the elderly, disabled, those with children, etc. Does that mean I am not busy? On my way to an important meeting? NO! There are many times when I am running late but I take those 30 seconds out of my day to smile and say hi to those passing me.

Bad karma is what I say. If you treat people the way you have responded on this board it is no wonder that you are miserable. With that attitude you will probably me miserable anywhere you go.

And by the way...my best friend lives in NYC...MANHATTAN. While visiting this weekend he smiled and said hi to people that passed and did the same. You're right, people in NYC are not generally rude, mean, mean-spirited, etc. Perhaps it is just you. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM

20 posts, read 48,250 times
Hi everyone. I've only posted on this board a few times and haven't browsed it in a while, but when I visited today, Sunnyd27's post caught my eye, and I couldn't help but add my thoughts to the thread. My husband and I have been in Charlotte about 2 months now and getting our feel for the city. We came to North Carolina from NYC a couple of years ago while he went through a masters program. I'm in my 30s, grew up in KS, but also lived in a couple really desolate small town areas of the Southwest for a while, and have moved a lot in my adult life. After having spent a few years living in the city, there is definitely no place like it; I loved living in NYC, and this comes from a girl who grew up on a farm in KS. But, I've realized a couple things with all the moving in my 20s and so far in my 30s. The first thing being, having a few people you can call good friends really makes a place home. It just helps brighten your outlook - or at least mine. The second thing is that it usually takes 1-2 years before you really get those kind of connections established. Many of my friends have had to relocate quite a bit also, and we've talked about this subject a lot. Moving some place can be really isolating at first without that network of family and friends; it may not necessarily be problems with physical place of Charlotte for you, but more the mental place just feeling isolated in a place which doesn't yet feel familiar and you don't know many people. But give it some time those connections do develop and things start feeling more familiar. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
I suppose using points of ellipsis rather than periods allows one to bill more hours.
Yes . . . just another way to d r a g things out . . . I s'pose.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,753,217 times
sleepygirl, you hit the nail on the head here and worded something perfectly..."it may not necessarily be problems with physical place of Charlotte for you, but more the mental place just feeling isolated in a place which doesn't yet feel familiar and you don't know many people. But give it some time those connections do develop and things start feeling more familiar." I have been here for 9 months. Moved from Ohio where I had deep roots- family, friends, good job. I was unhappy here for about the first 8 months. But I knew all along it had NOTHING to do with Charlotte. I missed everyone and hadn't made friends yet. Things are getting better every day. I love Charlotte. I have loved it since I got here. One word I use often to describe Charlotte is...beautiful. It simply is beautiful here.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:14 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,663,461 times
Default Bored,Boring, very Bored and Nothing to do.

All too often there are posters that are so bored in CLT they come here to tell us they are "bored".(fills in the gaps of their boring lives I guess)

I was searching this morning for a "wine meet-up" group in CLT with 10 miles of a particular zip code. Well you know how it is with surfing. This led to that and on and on. There is TOO MUCH to do in Charlotte. If I was to devote my time to "play" I would need someone to put me up in their house as I would have NO time to earn a living.

For those that think there's "nothing to do" or can't make friends I suggest, as I have suggested before, do a google search for "meet-up groups in Charlotte". Then select your subject matter. Bingo!
Have fun and stop B & Moaning,
j

Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,018,291 times
Well, I'm with the OP in not liking Charlotte. And believe me, we tried. We lived in the area for 7 years before fortuitous layoffs changed our home to the Winston-Salem area, where we are very happy. For some people it just has to be a sense of place. There was no one reason I could pinpoint for not liking the city, it was just the vibes.

We had no preconceived notion of what life would be like here; no "I hear it's cheaper/friendlier/a better climate"; our former employer told us we had to relocate to Charlotte or lose our jobs. Coming from the St. Louis area, we thought "well, it'll be something different, let's give it a try." It wasn't until we started exploring the state, going even farther and exploring up and down this part of the country - ranging up into the history and beauty of Virginia and gawking at the old plantations and Low Country to the south, that we were able to settle and tolerate Charlotte. It was more that we fell in love with this area - I still loathed the city

So, for the OP to say "I hate Charlotte, I want to move back to NY" is being pretty narrow-minded. There's more to this part of the country than Charlotte. It shouldn't be dismissed simply on the view of one city.

Last edited by silverwing; 10-02-2008 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 07:13 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,051,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
All too often there are posters that are so bored in CLT they come here to tell us they are "bored".(fills in the gaps of their boring lives I guess)

I was searching this morning for a "wine meet-up" group in CLT with 10 miles of a particular zip code. Well you know how it is with surfing. This led to that and on and on. There is TOO MUCH to do in Charlotte. If I was to devote my time to "play" I would need someone to put me up in their house as I would have NO time to earn a living.

For those that think there's "nothing to do" or can't make friends I suggest, as I have suggested before, do a google search for "meet-up groups in Charlotte". Then select your subject matter. Bingo!
Have fun and stop B & Moaning,
j
John, I hope this is not off topic, but maybe you can suggest some sites that have active meeting groups here in Charlotte. I've been looking, but haven't come across many that fit my profile.

Last edited by MommyV; 10-03-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,864,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY, but tons of New Yorkers are apparently moving here.. and I just don't know what all the hype is about Charlotte!! The house prices are low, so what? House prices are low in Idaho.. so why is everyone going to Charlotte? For a nicely priced spacious house, I just don't think it's worth it to move here because the area itself is not that great. I think the crime is out of control.. I have NEVER felt unsafe in new york.. most of the crime that people think is there is just some outdated stereotype that is untrue, but here?? It's awful! And if you want to live in the safest richest neighborhoods, you're going to pay 800,000 for a house so why bother leaving NY anyway! I hate watching Fox Charlotte because all I hear about are murders, shootings, etc; uptown is pretty darn lame; the north side of charlotte is so barren.. even with all that northlake mall stuff, I am just bored and my husband and I can't wait for our lease to be over.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt similar.. because I honestly just don't understand the hype!

I don't know what part of L.I. you are from, but HELLO!! Long Island is not New York City either. Glad to see that you are leaving. I am sure that you and your husband are just sweet and friendly people that are highly admired and will be really missed by your neighbors. LOL!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM

56 posts, read 156,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You could not pay me enough to live anywhere within 100 miles of NYC. It's dirty, ugly, and the people are unbelieveably rude - at least during my visits to my sister who lived there for many years, that's what struck me. I don't even like to visit any more. Good luck to those who want to go back.
Now how is this better than the OP bashing Charlotte??? There is no need for the name calling. I am a New Yorker who is NOT RUDE, and who happens to love Charlotte.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,663,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
John, I hope this is not off topic, but maybe you can suggest some sites that have active meeting groups here in Charlotte. I've been looking, but haven't come across many that fit my profile.

Don't know too much about "your profile" so it's hard to answer your question.

I am kinda LOL at some of the things I can say here BUT the posts wouldn't last more than 10 minutes so I better not. All I can say is keep trying.There's something/someone for everybody.
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte