U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM

44 posts, read 118,672 times

Advertisements

I moved here 3 years ago, and wouldn't move back. I am from PA.

I love it down here, beautiful weather, friendly people and I love my home. Granted I am not 'in' Charlotte, I am in Lake Wylie, but I spend a lot of time in the city and surrounding areas (Steele Creek, Pineville, Fort Mill & South Park)

I love it here, and Myrtle Beach is 3 hours away, Asheville is 2 hours. I live near a lake and everytime I come home I drive over it. Lots of shopping, restaurants and places to go.

Just look around, Charlotte is very pretty.

I am not sure where you are at that the crime is so bad, but it is not bad where I am at all. I feel safer here than I did in PA.

Every state and city has its good and bad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 02:36 PM

905 posts, read 3,064,852 times
Default Very useful info!

1: Start out going NORTHEAST on N TRYON ST toward E 5TH ST.
3.5 mi

* Map

2: Turn LEFT onto W SUGAR CREEK RD.
1.4 mi

* Map
* Avoid

3: Merge onto I-85 N toward CONCORD.
45.7 mi

* Map
* Avoid

4: Merge onto I-85 BL N/US-29 N/US-70 E/GEORGE S COBLE MEMORIAL HWY/US-52 N via EXIT 87 toward LEXINGTON/WINSTON-SALEM.
4.2 mi

* Map
* Avoid

Avoid............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

47: Take the I-495/L I EXPWY exit, EXIT 35, toward MIDTOWN TUN/EASTERN L I/48 ST.
0.2 mi

* Map
* Avoid

48: Merge onto I-495 E via EXIT 35E toward EASTERN LONG IS.
46.2 mi

* Map
* Avoid

49: Take the CR-19/PATCHOGUE-HOLBROOK RD exit, EXIT 61, toward HOLBROOK/PATCHOGUE.
0.2 mi

* Map
* Avoid

50: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto EXPRESSWAY DR S.
1.0 mi

* Map
* Avoid

51: End at Long Island, NY

* Map

Estimated Time: 12 hours 7 minutes Estimated Distance: 658.59 miles

Now take a deep breath and say there is no place like home, there is no place like home.......

Last edited by CRock; 09-29-2008 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,039,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY,
I hear it's the water.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM

27 posts, read 69,862 times
buh-bye; make sure you tell everyone back in NY how lousy it is down here

Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM

716 posts, read 1,908,026 times
There's no way on earth you can tell me that the news on EVERY network in the NY area has LESS stories about murders and shootings (and all crime in general) than Charlotte!!! It's a giant part of the reason I live HERE now instead.

Do us all a favor when you go back to NY:
Tell everyone else up there your story and how miserable they're going to be if they move here. Spread the word! It will really help us out.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,714,658 times
Quote:
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY, but tons of New Yorkers are apparently moving here.. and I just don't know what all the hype is about Charlotte!! The house prices are low, so what? House prices are low in Idaho.. so why is everyone going to Charlotte? For a nicely priced spacious house, I just don't think it's worth it to move here because the area itself is not that great. I think the crime is out of control.. I have NEVER felt unsafe in new york.. most of the crime that people think is there is just some outdated stereotype that is untrue, but here?? It's awful! And if you want to live in the safest richest neighborhoods, you're going to pay 800,000 for a house so why bother leaving NY anyway! I hate watching Fox Charlotte because all I hear about are murders, shootings, etc; uptown is pretty darn lame; the north side of charlotte is so barren.. even with all that northlake mall stuff, I am just bored and my husband and I can't wait for our lease to be over.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt similar.. because I honestly just don't understand the hype!

I can't believe that people move without knowing the area to which they are moving. It is great for many. For many it is probably a disapointment. Every person has their own tastes. If you prefer it in Long Island, good. Go to Long Island and stay there in your little world and be happy. Don't let the door his you on the @ss when leaving

Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM

841 posts, read 1,238,218 times
My wife's from LI and for a bit she felt the same as you but she's come to enjoy what Charlotte has to offer, instead of dwelling on what it is not. NY is not perfect, Charlotte's far from it, but then again no where will you find everything you want. It comes down to what you want. If it doesn't fit you then it doesn't but I would suggest giving it a bit more time, though it sounds as if your mind is already made up.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,238,218 times
And oh, on the "lameness" of uptown? My brother in law works in Manhattan and LOVES downtown Charlotte because of what it IS and not what it is not.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM

172 posts, read 528,009 times
Quote:
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY,
I love living here. I would never go back to Long Island. If nothing compares to NY, in my opinion it's because other places are better not worse. I don't miss LI at all.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,909,340 times
I think the general consensus is that you need to return to NY ASAP...and PLEASE, please, tell everyone up there how miserable it is here. We do not need more whiners. Those NYers who dont want to condem it here, WELCOME to your new home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or