Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM

53 posts, read 153,973 times

Advertisements

We just bought new construction in Union County. In the area we were looking it made absolutely no sense to do anything else. You could get a big house with tons of upgrades and a great yard for a great price. We had to go a little further out than we would have with a resale but it was well worth it. For anyone looking at resales I would STRONGLY suggest going to a couple of new construction communities and asking about what they can do for you. We found that when we were on site at the new communities they would offer us fantastic deals. Right now if you are willing to add a few more minutes to your commute you are much better off buying new construction. Especially if you can find something in a community that is at least 50% built out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
New Construction isnt for everybody, also remember your taxes will be higher....Resales offer those who need it also a great value depending on what their needs and wants are....People also dont have extra money for fencing, landscaping and other things that will be needed eventually on a new construction. Also remember New Construction gets old also and one day it will be a resale, the other thing people need to know is that builders will give the kitchen sink away to sell a house now with no doubt but what is that going to do to the value of someone who bought lets say 6 months ago, I know they havent gone up that much so while the prices are great right now and so are the incentives, you need to look at it from both angles regarding New and Resale. I know people that bought New in certain communities and have lost money due to the constant lowering of prices or giving xyz amount of the purchase price plus certain incentives...so as someone new coming in yes its great but again what does that say for the resale value of and with the economy the way it is I dont think homes will be appreciating all that quickly whether it be new or resale..however on that note congrats on your purchase and lots of happiness in your new home....

Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,961 times
Citi is not moving its retail banking HQ to Charlotte.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
Let me know what you think when you are trying to sell.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Transplant View Post
We just bought new construction in Union County. In the area we were looking it made absolutely no sense to do anything else. You could get a big house with tons of upgrades and a great yard for a great price. We had to go a little further out than we would have with a resale but it was well worth it. For anyone looking at resales I would STRONGLY suggest going to a couple of new construction communities and asking about what they can do for you. We found that when we were on site at the new communities they would offer us fantastic deals. Right now if you are willing to add a few more minutes to your commute you are much better off buying new construction. Especially if you can find something in a community that is at least 50% built out.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,196 times
DH and I are going to buy a resale home for two main reasons:

1. Location - we prefer to be more centrally located. Our jobs are in the SouthPark area (for me) and near uptown (for DH). With gas prices the way they are, we don't really want to add to our commute.

2. Size of house - since it is just us and a 35 pound dog, we don't really need a large house, nor can we furnish one! It seems that many of the newly constructed homes are just too big for us. They are great for folks with children, but for our situation, we just don't need that much space.

So bring on the re-sales!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Let me know what you think when you are trying to sell.

Dawn
Well, I have built one house . . . all the rest were re-sales. I got the best value on the re-sales. If I had $1M to spend, I would still buy a re-sale, LOL. Why?

I don't like being in a neighborhood w/ construction going on. I am an empty nester now, but if I had children, I would want to be in a neighborhood w/ a very stable school district and here in CLT, my preference in schools dictates that I would have to be exactly where I bought. One of the reasons I bought here was b/c of re-sale in the future - I wanted to be able to market the school district.

I prefer more mature landscaping and larger lots. Every re-sale I have bought (w/ exception of one) had upgrades that the previous homeowner had done . . . As Berry mentioned, those things have ranged from additional decking, fencing, upgraded kitchen appliances, flooring, fixtures, finished off basements or bonus rooms . . . This house I am in now has a heavily wooded lot and a creek at the back . . . wh/ we really enjoy (and no, it does not flood, LOL).

I am less than 3 miles from everything I need - most conveniences are w/in 1.5 miles of my doorstep. Saves on gas! Plus, if I had a commute uptown, we are about 12 miles away.

So it all depends on what you want. A home that is 5 to 15 years old is not an "old" home. Here is how I looked at it. I built a new home in KCMO, and when I moved here, I bought another home that was built almost exactly the same time ours was built in KCMO. Psychologically, that seemed totally reasonable to me. My carbon footprint had not changed.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Citi is not moving its retail banking HQ to Charlotte.
Just curious... where are you getting your information from?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

81 posts, read 182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Just curious... where are you getting your information from?
I was wondering the same thing.

You cannot always believe what the media reports, but that is supposedly what Citi said.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM

338 posts, read 896,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
.... on that note congrats on your purchase and lots of happiness in your new home....
I must say, berry, that you have a very pleasant attitude (not that I'm biased to fellow New Yorkers)!

PS: Happy New Year!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
I must say, berry, that you have a very pleasant attitude (not that I'm biased to fellow New Yorkers)!

PS: Happy New Year!
Thanks London, I think everyone should be happy wherever they choose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte