U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM

9,906 posts, read 9,279,067 times

Advertisements

1. Santa Land at Sears when it was located on Tryon St in town
2. Riding the escalators at Ivey's, Belk Brothers (as it was called then) and Efirds on Tryon St in town
3. Eating at Honey's Drive-In on Tryon St in town
4. Going into the Barringer Hotel lobby (think that was the name it was on Tryon St too) to get warm during the annual Carrousel Parade
This was all downtown Charlotte in those days, no malls then.
5. Pineville Dinner Theater way way out in the boonies
6. Going to a club ... it was like a basement because overhead was plumbing pipes, might have been called Undergound Charlotte just can't remember the name ... but do know we saw the O Jay's perform there.
7. Attended a party at the Zan Zi Bar Club and Morganna was performing.
9. The creme de'la creme of shopping on Tryon St was Montaldo's ... only place to buy Bass weejuns ... which was the really cool penny loafer everyone had to wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
1. Santa Land at Sears when it was located on Tryon St in town
2. Riding the escalators at Ivey's, Belk Brothers (as it was called then) and Efirds on Tryon St in town
3. Eating at Honey's Drive-In on Tryon St in town
4. Going into the Barringer Hotel lobby (think that was the name it was on Tryon St too) to get warm during the annual Carrousel Parade
This was all downtown Charlotte in those days, no malls then.
5. Pineville Dinner Theater way way out in the boonies
6. Going to a club ... it was like a basement because overhead was plumbing pipes, might have been called Undergound Charlotte just can't remember the name ... but do know we saw the O Jay's perform there.
7. Attended a party at the Zan Zi Bar Club and Morganna was performing.
9. The creme de'la creme of shopping on Tryon St was Montaldo's ... only place to buy Bass weejuns ... which was the really cool penny loafer everyone had to wear.
#6. As I was in the shower I had a 'brain storm' the club was the Cellar ... Atlanta had the Underground.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Was it located on South Blvd close to uptown I think near where News 14 is located now?

If so was it another club you are mentioning or was it Park Elevator?

Oh this made me think of Pterodactyl club the first time I saw mosh pitting.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
#6. As I was in the shower I had a 'brain storm' the club was the Cellar ... Atlanta had the Underground.
The Cellar is still located on Morehead at the cellar of the building after all those years.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Was it located on South Blvd close to uptown I think near where News 14 is located now?

If so was it another club you are mentioning or was it Park Elevator?

Oh this made me think of Pterodactyl club the first time I saw mosh pitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
The Cellar is still located on Morehead at the cellar of the building after all those years.
I do know the name of the place was The Cellar ... it could have been on Morehead or South Blvd I just don't remember. At that time South Blvd growth ended just past the old KMart and it was two lane road to Pineville ... Lance was the only thing on that road between Pineville and South Charlotte.

I know we went down steps into a basement (cellar) and after a few drinks a member of our group that worked at a plumbing supply house would go into great detail explaining all the pipes and connections over our head ... even their cost!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Carolinawoman, your comment about Lance reminds me of when my mom had a business on South Boulevard near Prichard Baptist Chruch (I believe that was it) and the wonderful smell that came from the Lance cracker company. It was wonderful.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Carolinawoman, your comment about Lance reminds me of when my mom had a business on South Boulevard near Prichard Baptist Chruch (I believe that was it) and the wonderful smell that came from the Lance cracker company. It was wonderful.
I had a friend that worked there when school was out during the summer ... to this day she can't stand peanut butter. Spending 8 hours with 'hot peanut butter' apparently the smell would get to you. Of course that was when she was in the cheese cracker area ... her second summer she was promoted to potato chips. LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,795 times
Born in Monroe, so a few from the southeast side. Coming to K-Mart on Ind. Blvd. Town and Country Ford was the edge of town. Crystal Place was half way to Monroe and it sure was dark and scary. The McDonalds at Ind. with the arches, Krispy Kreme on Ind. All the great shows at Ind. Arena and Ovens Aud. My Great Grandfather was offered that land for 500$ during the depression, when ask why he didn't jump on it, he answered that it was no good for farming. Cheerwine and moonpies at Huston's cotton gin and store. Fresh biscuits and grits. Everybody was friendly. Monroe hardware was the only place to get hardware, buying overalls in the basement of Belk where the poor people shopped. Outhouses. Big treat to come to Charlotte as we didn't travel much, summertime in the moutains or at the beach. Swimming in Lake Norman when it was a mudhole. Being proud of my Southerness, and having a thick accent.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,795 times
One more thing, FRESH BBQ and Fish Camps

Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigknine View Post
One more thing, FRESH BBQ and Fish Camps
Again ... long ago when Charlotte was surrounded by 'boonies' ... we went to a Fish Camp maybe over Monroe way or Matthews ... it was famous for it's fried oysters. I know we passed a glass house ... on Monroe Rd or out that way ... it was always amazing to me someone living in a glass house ... anyway driving through country we went under a railroad tressel and then on to I think the name of the fish camp might have been The Hideway(?).

Have you ever heard of that fish camp? Has anyone reading this post?

The oysters were sooooo gooood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte