U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 03:14 PM

54 posts, read 204,875 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up a lot on water birth, and while I don't yet have kids.. of course I want to in the near future and i've heard nothing but positive reviews about water birthing and without drugs! Has anyone ever had one here in Charlotte whether at home or in a charlotte hospital? how was your experience? Is this allowed on this forum? lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,333,443 times
it's a two part question....the water birth would probably better answered at http://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/

my wife wanted to do everything natural, and read all kinds of books to do so. she ended up going to hospital screaming for a epidural lol.

the 2nd time...she waited too long, and gave birth before they could give her the epidural

3rd time (in feb 2009) we dont know.

my sister-in-law had a midwife for her first, and she really enjoyed it.

if you have insurance then i would go to the hospital.
At least at the hospital they have people taking care of you, AND feeding you.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM

628 posts, read 1,857,405 times
Sound's kinda messy!!!

"my sister-in-law had a midwife for her first, and she really enjoyed it" She enjoyed giving birth??? WOW!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,333,443 times
i suppose every woman does after carrying a heavy load for 40 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Sound's kinda messy!!!

"my sister-in-law had a midwife for her first, and she really enjoyed it" She enjoyed giving birth??? WOW!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM

876 posts, read 3,485,222 times
yeah, i think my wife will be sticking to the traditional and sterile hospital environment.

Sorry can't help much, just kinda weirds me out.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM

41 posts, read 104,155 times
I was living in virginia at the time, but I had a wonderful natural home birth. If you let your body do what the human body has done for eons, you can have a fast and natural birth.

Modern interventions performed in hospitals are often what leads to the need for more interventions. You need to be able to feel the pain in order to push. Otherwise, you will need the help of forcepts, suctions, epitosomies, and c sections to get the baby out. And then both you and the baby will be on drugs and unable to truly enjoy the experience, which is beautiful, and the most special one you will ever get a chance to have in this lifetime.

Don't let other people's fears influence your decision to give your child a drug free birth. I encountered all the horror stories out there from family, but refused to succum to thier pressure. Now, they are believers!

As far as the water birth goes, I did spend most of my labor in the tub. But got out and my daughter was born in my bed. She came out with her eyes wide open and wasn't very upset about the experience at all (unlike all the baby shows on tv). And no, it wasn't terribly messy. You buy a homebirth kit a head of time that has protective sheets for the bed and put down something over the carpet.

As far as sterile goes, hospitals now have super germs that do not even respond to antibiotics. And people go there to die, not a great place to have a vunerable little baby.

You can message me for any more support. I am expecting my second child this month, and am planning another wonderful homebirth.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
There was at least 1 bad outcome of a waterbirth that I read about, the man who founded Young Living Farm (herbal supplements) had his baby drown at birth. But the guy is a few rocks short of a load and I don't know the circumstances (how well were they prepared, etc.). Getting out for the actual birth seems like the safer method, as noted above.

While woimen have been giving birth for milennia w/o hospitals, they were also women who worked hard and were in better physical condition than most of us. Good musculature is essential.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-01-2008 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM

509 posts, read 1,644,351 times
Midwives in North Carolina are not legally supposed to assist with homebirths, but there is an underground movement and there are ways to connect with midwives who will. I would suggest joining some of the local mommy sites to start with

North Carolina does not have many (or any?) birthing centers like those in other states where there is a staff and support for water birthing. From what I have seen/read, it can be very safe.

Whatever you end up doing, I would suggest being close to emergency support if needed. Normally giving birth goes fine, but when things go bad, they can go bad in a hurry.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
After 25 hours of labor and an emergency C-section, I can attest - things can get tricky very quickly. Some women have babies w/o any sort of complications, but even those women usually wait til baby # 2 or # 3 to try something outside the realm of traditional birth center settings.

However, since you asked: Carolina WaterBirth

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,450,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Sound's kinda messy!!!

I had a midwife as well (though she was late) and I enjoyed birth as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or