Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times

Advertisements

Is there an "undiscovered" charlotte? (less crime/less expensive)

Yes, it's called the Piedmont Triad and consists of the major cities of Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point and their surrounding towns and cities.

It's home to Wake Forest University, UNC-Greensboro, Winston-Salem State University, Elon College, Guilford College, Salem College, and High Point University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momandboys View Post
Also: are there a lot of mosquitos etc in the hot summer months?
No. Neither one of us have had a single mosquito or other bug bite in 12 years.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
spray your yard with Ivory Dish Detergent eat more garlic your mosquito issue will be resolved

psst superk keep it down that place is for natives

Call it the tarheel reservation if you will

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
spray your yard with Ivory Dish Detergent eat more garlic your mosquito issue will be resolved

psst superk keep it down that place is for natives

Call it the tarheel reservation if you will
Ivory Dish Detergent, huh? That's a new one to me! Gotta tell DH.

We've got the eat lots of garlic thing down pat already.

Sara

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM

221 posts, read 724,580 times
I think that the recommedations of Belmont/Mount Holly were great. I can vouch for Belmont's schools as my children attend them and we have enjoyed it here very much. You might get a little more home in MT holly then in belmont but they are both cute towns. Look at this link to see some of what Belmont has to offer Belmont Parks and Recreation Dept.

Coming from Fl I did not think that the mosquitos were out of control. We have not used nearly as much bug spray since living here.

If you have any questions about this side of town just DM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momandboys View Post
Hello!

I have been searching to relocate out of SF Bay area...single mom with 2 little guys on limited budget.

North Carolina looks pretty and seems to be very good for education (universities are cheaper, and it appears very proactive with good schools)

Charlotte looks beautiful from the pictures, and very very pretty houses!But, the desireable areas are a bit expensive for me ($140K is my approximate budget...my boys and I don't want a townhome...we want a pretty house and backyard in a desireable neighborhood with little crime.) and I am very saddened at how much crime/gangs are in the Charlotte area.

Is there a N.C. University county with less crime and hopefully less expensive?

Also: are there a lot of mosquitos etc in the hot summer months?

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 AM

37 posts, read 120,563 times
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all the great insight! I looked up Belmont...it has a YMCA for my boys and I saw a house for $45K! I could buy it and be a stay-at-home mother at that price! I could even continue homeschooling!

UC Berkeley is VERY expensive...

Due to some obligations, I may not be able to move immediately into N.C. so,
I may buy a house in N.C., rent it out and have it waiting for us for the future. I am an older mom, so I want to buy something for myself and my boys and we searched high and low in CA... too expensive. I am VERY uncomfortable about the economy, and since I have the cash, I would like to get my money out of the banks and into a home. I can't do this here in CA. I definitely believe the ecomony is going to get worse and worse, bail out or not. I would rather have my money in a home, even if i can't live in it right now.

I don't make a high income (my husband walked out on us for another lady and he was the money maker) so, I must do something.

Greensboro: I did research this...I was told I needed a minimum of $150K for a very small house to be in a safe area with good schools. Belmont seemed better...Thanks,

Mint Hill looked gorgeous...

I like the idea of a walkable town so my boys can walk/ride to a YMCA or pool or other sport-type area.

Any other advice, I would appreciate it. I will be taking a book out on Investing for Dummies...I would love to have a win-win situation with a renter until I can come out.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 AM

201 posts, read 804,199 times
I actually don't think the mosquitos are that bad down here. My husband and I have spent two summers here and were impressed by how few bugs there were compared to Michigan in the summer. Maybe it's just because we don't live right by the water or woods, but we haven't been bothered at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte