Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 13,559 times

Advertisements

I am very disappointed with the school systems in Charlotte. Today I received a letter from CMS stating the school system has missed Adequate Yearly Progress Targets in reading and math for the past two years. The letter outlined steps the district was going to take to improve the situation under the CMS Strategic Plan 2010. I must say that in the past I have shaken my head in disgust at CMS. I always felt it was more then a “little country”, but thought it would get better quickly. Today I realized that it is not get better until at least 2010 and maybe not even then. I also realized that I have lowered mine and my families expectations for education and values. This is really the part that bothers me, I let my family down by moving Charlotte thinking it was utopia, lower cost of living , cheaper housing, nice place between the mountains and ocean. When in fact the money saved was at the cost of my children and their future.

This may sound like a single event but here is the list of other issues that I have seen through the school district.

Over crowding- For instance, last year Lake Wylie, where my children go, was at almost 200% capacity for the number of students. Many students were packed into a large number of trailers in back of the school. Children ushered each other back and forth to the lavatory trailer in the trailer park which was not fenced in. Lake Wylie is not the only school in this situation!

Physical Education - The L.W. gymnasium was converted to a full time lunch room due to overcrowding of the students. The students have PE class in a small trailer in the back lot. I have been told that singing is now considered an exercise. Our children are very active in sports and the YMCA but this is at our expense and time. I feel terrible for the other children that do not have opportunity.

Recess - I recently picked my children up for a medical physical. Upon arriving at Lake Wylie, I found my daughter playing in front of the building next to the parking lot with the rest of the class. I inquired as to why they were out front of the building when there is a nice safe play ground and track out back. The answer was it is to far to walk. I watched with great concern as several vehicles traversed the u-shaped parking lot at 35-40 mph. I asked what happened if the children went into the parking lot. The response was they get in trouble if they go into the lot or touch the cars. Of course, I turn around and find three in the lot chasing a loose ball.

Security – As I mentioned above the kids attend classes in trailers and play near the parking lot. Supervision appears to my untrained eye to be poor at best. Last week we had an armed bank robber flea his car just a less the 1/8 of a mile from Lake Wylie Elementary. Police were on foot, in cars and helicopters for several hours at no time was the school locked down!

The students curriculum is based mostly on reading and little on math. The children can take advance placement tests but in many instances the teacher and room mom tell me the computers do not work or crowding is an issue.

The tax payers foot the bill for the schools and teachers salaries, but the parents are required to purchase supplies at various intervals with personal funds.

I know the “a little country” statement probably peeved some, but parading the children from class to other areas through out the school with one hand on your hips and one on your lips is a little much.

I did not think a school system in a city billed as progressive could be so backward and have such a failed system. My spouse and I grew in an area with a good school district. Yes, there were school taxes but there were no trailers, security was good, there were gymnasiums and we met national education standards. From there we went to several highly accredited colleges obtaining a BS, a BA, a MBA, a MS and numerous certifications. I know what a good education is, what is worth, why it is important and what it looks like. I do not see anything in the Charlotte area the resembles a system that is capable of providing a good education. Luckily, my spouse and I are family oriented and provide addition learning opportunities at home on a daily bases. I really hope you have read to this point of my rant. If you are considering moving to Charlotte for cheap housing please think twice if you value your children's education . As I mentioned above, I feel that I have let my family down by making this very decision. This spring we will be looking for better opportunities for our children and I fully expect that we will be moving back to the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 AM

146 posts, read 506,680 times
This is exactly the reason why we are choosing to wait until my daughter finishes high school in NJ, the schools here are terrific. Once she finishes up, we will then look to make NC our home. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:12 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3 View Post
I do not see anything in the Charlotte area the resembles a system that is capable of providing a good education. Luckily, my spouse and I are family oriented and provide addition learning opportunities at home on a daily bases. I really hope you have read to this point of my rant. If you are considering moving to Charlotte for cheap housing please think twice if you value your children's education . As I mentioned above, I feel that I have let my family down by making this very decision. This spring we will be looking for better opportunities for our children and I fully expect that we will be moving back to the northeast.
I'm really concerned about blanket statements like this as a persons first post and wonder if there isn't a hidden agenda somewhere.

My kids go to CMS schools and both made the 'A' honor roll this year. The schools they attend are much more progressive than the schools were in MA and the cirriculum is more organized.

Overcrowded, well, uh, yah.. We keep moving down here. My neighborhood will have 172 homes and borders the school property. Most every house has kids and as the neighborhood gets completed there are more kids being added to the school all the time. I'd rather see mobile classrooms than bussing.

For those who haven't seen a mobile classroom or trailer, it's not what you think. I pictured a trailer with dirty yellow/green carpet, chairs and dingy light. They are opposite. Roomy, well lit, windows, aquariums, books, shelves, etc.. Not at all different from regular classroom. Not all mobile classrooms are equal I suppose but the ones near me are excellent.

If you're expecting free daycare and don't being involved in your childs education then you get what you deserve. To bash the entire system because it's differrent from where you went to school is unfair.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
I think Mike she just picked the WRONG SCHOOL DISTRCIT...I mean if you look at some of the south charlotte schools in Meck the scores are very high, and Union County were we are looking all schools have made HONOR OF EXCELLENCE and or will be brand new....I hate when people write posts like these especially coming from out of town, you have to know that with GROWTH there will be issues, THAT is why there is SO MUCH resources and INFO out there it amazes me....DIDNT you reserach the schools before you moved there?? I looked into Lake Wylie a while back and I wont say who but one of the Sales People for a builder said If I had school age children tht I should consider another area to live...

Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
I think people need to move here, or anywhere, with their eyes wide open. NCmom's post is a good reminder of that. Not to be rude, but NCmom, didn't you know the school in the neighborhood you bought in was overcrowded before you bought your home? Please try to understand, I am not being critical, and I do understand your frustration. But as Mark said, you can't blame the school system that so many people are moving here so fast that the schools can't keep up. Building new schools takes time and money! I have great faith in our superintendant and I do believe he is doing the best he can. This problem could help to be fixed if more people moving here bought existing homes instead of only new construction - please keep that in mind all of you thinking of moving

Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 AM

90 posts, read 240,288 times
I completly agree, I dont have kids but it seems to me that its more about the student then it is about the school.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Meck county also has a new superintendant who is supposed to be awesome, and I think with the influx its certainly difficult....they cant build and open schools fast enough....

Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,261 times
Why don't you put your education and degrees to good use and address these issues with Peter Gorman. He would probably appreciate your input, if it's sincere. I agree that CMS schools are overcrowded and that's due in part to the influx of new residents from other parts of the country and other countries, legal and illegal. Most of these people have come here for a "better way of life", lower taxes, lower home prices, jobs, etc. New schools can't be built overnight and the system is having a hard time keeping up with the growth.

Newsweek Magazine has for the past few years published an article on the top 1000 high schools in the nation and CMS is represented ten times. Myers Park is #37 in the entire nation.

It sounds like your problem is with a particular school or teacher who gestures with her hands in a way you don't like. Hands on her hips and on her lip...what's that about??? Tolerance and acceptance of diversity is a two way street. Maybe she's just not like you.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
I sympathize, but I find this post very ironic. The very people that are flocking to Charlotte and causing school overcrowding, are blaming the school district for dealing with the overcrowding.

Let me ask: what did you expect?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 AM

146 posts, read 506,680 times
NCmomof3....I just sent you a p.m. (private message).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte