U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

403 posts, read 785,587 times

Advertisements

Last edited by lanigan911; 01-02-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,101,589 times
They are "popping" up all over town. Good to see some competition moving in against Bojangles.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,765,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
When did Popeye's pull out of Charlotte? Was it before or after Charlotte started growing? Just wondering if the transplants are the main ones supporting Popeye's....

small sample size but everyone from Charlotte (not many, lol) aren't fans of Popeye's.. and everyone from up north who lives here loves it. Not all but most... and when the Concord Mills location was announced you would think they won the lottery the way they were celebrating.
I want to say that it was 20 years or so ago. Seems to me that I bought some of their chicken around 1990 or so at the former Popeyes store on Freedom Drive. (It was at the Freedom Village)

I found their chicken to be bland and dried out with a slight overture of low quality grease. I never bothered to go back. So yes as a Charlotte native, I wasn't that impressed by their fried chicken. Natives in this town know what good fried chicken is supposed to be like and Popeyes isn't it. Even Churches chicken on W. Trade does better.

Maybe they have changed their procedures since then but the real test will be if they can make it in Mecklenburg county.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,961,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
Um, I saw it with my own eyes. It had a Huge Popeye' sign on the front of the building. So unless it changed in the last 2 weeks, it's a Popeye's.
I am sorry for the apparent misinformation and confusion. I have been receiving conflicting reports. I no longer reside in the Concord/Charlotte area, so have not been able to confirm with my own eyes. And the Popeyes website had not yet updated the list of locations. I am hoping to see Popeyes re-enter the Charlotte market and move south to Greenville-Spartanburg.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
When did Popeye's pull out of Charlotte? Was it before or after Charlotte started growing? Just wondering if the transplants are the main ones supporting Popeye's....

small sample size but everyone from Charlotte (not many, lol) aren't fans of Popeye's.. and everyone from up north who lives here loves it. Not all but most... and when the Concord Mills location was announced you would think they won the lottery the way they were celebrating.
I think there were 2 Popeyes in Charlotte in the 80's and they left in the early 90's. North Tryon St. and Freedom Drive. In fact, the Freedom Dr. store later became a Bojangle's, which I know is popular in the hometown market. But overall, I just think Popeyes spicy chicken is better than Bojangle's version. And Popeyes is not only popular up north, but also in Atlanta, Florida, New Orleans, Texas, and California. And in recent years Popeyes locations have started emerging across the Carolinas, and now apparently they are returning to the Charlotte region. I think they will do well this time because of the transplanted northerners and fans from everywhere else that have moved here who will support the brand. But I still support Bojangle's as I do enjoy their breakfast biscuits, but I will definitely "love that chicken" from Popeyes.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,420,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am sorry for the apparent misinformation and confusion. I have been receiving conflicting reports. I no longer reside in the Concord/Charlotte area, so have not been able to confirm with my own eyes. And the Popeyes website had not yet updated the list of locations. I am hoping to see Popeyes re-enter the Charlotte market and move south to Greenville-Spartanburg.
Maybe it's a hibrid Chick Fil A and Popeye's.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 24,016 times
I have tried Popeye's(the one in Concord Mills). I must say, I was not impressed. I would take Bojangles any day of the week over Popeye's.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencity92 View Post
I have tried Popeye's(the one in Concord Mills). I must say, I was not impressed. I would take Bojangles any day of the week over Popeye's.
Sometimes the food court franchises are not as good as the normal freestanding stores. Most Popeyes I've visited in Atlanta and other areas are normally very good and I prefer them to Bojangles. But not to say Bojangles is bad. Their breakfast biscuits are very good but their chicken is just a bit different from Popeyes. While both are spicy, Popeyes is usually a bit crispier and tastier to me. But both can have their own appeal depending upon your preference.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM

11,355 posts, read 8,874,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencity92 View Post
Not sure if you are from Charlotte but most natives say the same thing. I like Popeyes because it's poked harder than Bojangles. Bojangles is a little rubbery to me... I will eat it from time to time but I prefer Popeyes.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,765,525 times
I don't care for Popeyes, Bojangles or ChicFillet.

If I'm going to eat chain store chicken I'll take original recipe KFC any day. They fry their chicken in a pressure cooker and that produces a far superior taste in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte