Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times

Advertisements

KFC quality has indeed declined in recent years, especially in those combo stores that have a Taco Bell or Long John Silver's. But a good KFC is hard to beat if you can still find one. And a good buffet store. But a good Popeyes store has great spicy chicken and they are popular in many major markets. But now I would like to see a nice Roy Rogers come to Charlotte. Not the rest stop variety. But the recent revival of the former Marriott chain has very good roast beef, burgers, and fried chicken. And nice clean stores. They declined when mismanaged by Hardee's, but are now expanding again. The newly opened stores have been well received in Virginia and Maryland, and they are now seeking franchise partners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I just don't get the fascination with Popeye's. It's more breading than meat, IMO.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Crowds and congestion continue at Wilkinson Blvd. store. Extra police hired to direct traffic. Reported on WBTV News 3.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM

123 posts, read 217,997 times
I would love to get a Popeye's in the Ballantyne area, but it seems they only welcome McDonalds and Chick-Fil-A. KFC's quality has gone downhill. I've been to Price's Chicken Coop, after hearing it was the best; not a good experience for me. Same with Bojangles...terrible. Leroy Fox has some great fried chicken; I've been there several times. But the place I found in this area for fried chicken is Publix Deli. When they first opened in Indian Land, they gave samples and I've been hooked since. I don't buy pre-made foods in grocery stores, but I do get fried chicken every time I go. Just ask and they will give you a sample. I used to live on the West Coast and the best fried chicken I've ever had was a little place in Memphis called Gus'. I read about it on-line and it had awesome reviews. For something local, I recommend Leroy Fox or for fast food, I highly recommend Publix Deli; they sell a ton of fried chicken. Once you try it you'll go back again and again.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:18 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I would love to get a Popeye's in the Ballantyne area, but it seems they only welcome McDonalds and Chick-Fil-A. KFC's quality has gone downhill. I've been to Price's Chicken Coop, after hearing it was the best; not a good experience for me. Same with Bojangles...terrible. Leroy Fox has some great fried chicken; I've been there several times. But the place I found in this area for fried chicken is Publix Deli. When they first opened in Indian Land, they gave samples and I've been hooked since. I don't buy pre-made foods in grocery stores, but I do get fried chicken every time I go. Just ask and they will give you a sample. I used to live on the West Coast and the best fried chicken I've ever had was a little place in Memphis called Gus'. I read about it on-line and it had awesome reviews. For something local, I recommend Leroy Fox or for fast food, I highly recommend Publix Deli; they sell a ton of fried chicken. Once you try it you'll go back again and again.
What? You can get fried food in California?...I joke, sort of. In my opinion Popeyes is overrated and can be hit or miss like Bojangles. Prices is pretty good and so is Publix. I'm biased being from downeast NC but soul food and/or southern cooking is better in the eastern part of the state. Even in Durham, the Krogers fried chicken is better than Publix. Smithfield Chicken & BBQ has good fried chicken...I know people who don't care for the vinegar based downeast BBQ but go there for chicken. Maybe the Charlotte area will get a location one of these days.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM

137 posts, read 386,049 times
As someone who grew up in Brooklyn NY, Popeye's IS NEVER overrated! The food is just right and tastes delicious! Why do you think there are magnanimous lines? People LOVE Popeyes! Natives don't understand tasty food all too well here.
I can't wait to visit the Wilkinson store! OMG, We have Popeyes! No more BoJangles!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
As someone who grew up in Brooklyn NY, Popeye's IS NEVER overrated! The food is just right and tastes delicious! Why do you think there are magnanimous lines? People LOVE Popeyes! Natives don't understand tasty food all too well here.
I can't wait to visit the Wilkinson store! OMG, We have Popeyes! No more BoJangles!
You're overreacting. I live in Atlanta where they are everywhere and yes, they are overrated. If I want REAL, good chicken, I've got dozens of local spots to pick from. And if you've ever been to NOLA, you'd know that Popeyes is NOT authentic NOLA cuisine (which it claims to be).

Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Magnanimous? You might want to check that definition. Maybe you should stick to smaller words that make sense, like "long or "big".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're overreacting. I live in Atlanta where they are everywhere and yes, they are overrated. If I want REAL, good chicken, I've got dozens of local spots to pick from. And if you've ever been to NOLA, you'd know that Popeyes is NOT authentic NOLA cuisine (which it claims to be).
Read his other posts. You'll see he has no problem offending large groups, and using hyperbole to do so.

Some would say he is a typical Brooklynite...brash, offensive, poorly opinionated. But that would be stereotpying, so I won't say it.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:05 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just don't get the fascination with Popeye's. It's more breading than meat, IMO.
Maybe so, but the breading is delicious. Honestly, very rarely can I tell the difference in how the actual chicken in fried chicken tastes so a lot of what I like comes down to breading. Unless it is brined in buttermilk, it all tastes like chicken to me.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
I don't know what a magnanimous line is. Care to explain t? Just to be helpful, magnanimous means:

generous in forgiving an insult or injury; free from petty resentfulness or vindictiveness:
to be magnanimous toward one's enemies.
high-minded; noble:
a just and magnanimous ruler.
proceeding from or revealing generosity or nobility of mind, character, etc.:
a magnanimous gesture of forgiveness.

At one time Bojangles was owned by Horn & Hardardt. Popeye's & Bojangles showed up in Philly & Baltimore about the same time. Popeye's stayed & Bojangles left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte