U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM

27,580 posts, read 24,648,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
maybe so, but the breading is delicious. Honestly, very rarely can i tell the difference in how the actual chicken in fried chicken tastes so a lot of what i like comes down to breading. Unless it is brined in buttermilk, it all tastes like chicken to me.
wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 AM

3,245 posts, read 3,947,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
As someone who grew up in Brooklyn NY, Popeye's IS NEVER overrated! The food is just right and tastes delicious! Why do you think there are magnanimous lines? People LOVE Popeyes! Natives don't understand tasty food all too well here.
I can't wait to visit the Wilkinson store! OMG, We have Popeyes! No more BoJangles!
In most major markets, people tend to prefer Popeyes over Bojangles. But now there is a choice in Charlotte. Now we just need to get a Roy Rogers. A good Roy Rogers had great fried chicken also, just not the spicy variety. And for several years, Hardees featured Roy Rogers fried chicken back when they were co-owned. Now Roy's is independent and expanding again. Plus they have very good roast beef and burgers. Wish they would return to the Carolinas. But happy to see Popeyes.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 AM

And the previous poster was indeed correct. Publix has very good fried chicken, as well as cole slaw and potato salad. Often cheaper than the fast food establishments.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM

136 posts, read 327,028 times
I just went to the Popeyes at 3318 Wilkinson on Monday. Everyone had smiles on their faces and was happy and the line was pretty decent @ the drive-thru. BoJangles on the other hand was empty.
I'm so happy that popeyes is here. Now if they can get one on the southside and in Stonecrest, that would make my day.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 PM

3,377 posts, read 2,944,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
I just went to the Popeyes at 3318 Wilkinson on Monday. Everyone had smiles on their faces and was happy and the line was pretty decent @ the drive-thru. BoJangles on the other hand was empty.
I'm so happy that popeyes is here. Now if they can get one on the southside and in Stonecrest, that would make my day.
No doubt, Bojangles is shutting down.... This isn't Popeyes first attempt at making inroads in the Charlotte or NC market, which didn't go over that well 15-20 years ago. The novelty will were off soon, lets hope they have better luck and staying power, although I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice in terms of poor planning and realize Bojangles isn't going anywhere.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
I went to Popeyes and waited in the line for about 20 mins however, after I drove back on the Eastside and got home and ate it..It was well worth the wait!! :-)

Old 12-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Most Popeyes the quality is usually good. Bojangles is more hit or miss.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 AM

136 posts, read 327,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
In most major markets, people tend to prefer Popeyes over Bojangles. But now there is a choice in Charlotte. Now we just need to get a Roy Rogers. A good Roy Rogers had great fried chicken also, just not the spicy variety. And for several years, Hardees featured Roy Rogers fried chicken back when they were co-owned. Now Roy's is independent and expanding again. Plus they have very good roast beef and burgers. Wish they would return to the Carolinas. But happy to see Popeyes.
I remember Roy Rogers had a presence in Brooklyn when I was a kid in the 80's. The Chicken was good then. Soon after they disappeared. When I came down on trips to Charlotte, we would make rest stops in some places like VA or Maryland or DC, and I believe I went into a few Roy Rogers spots. Good food.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 64,763 times
I just had Popeyes chicken in concord mills mall and have eaten multiple times before in Ga. Honestly, I don't understand the hype. It costed $11+ for a 5pc chicken finger meal with drink. It's just ok and not worth the price Imo. Personally, I prefer chick fil a or zaxbys and sometimes bojangles

Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 PM

123 posts, read 183,039 times
Thumbs up Publix Fried Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And the previous poster was indeed correct. Publix has very good fried chicken, as well as cole slaw and potato salad. Often cheaper than the fast food establishments.
A new Publix store is opening on Lancaster Highway in February 2014. I was told it will be 9,000 sq ft larger than the Indian Land store. As I previously posted, they have awesome fried chicken. Go in and they'll give you a free sample. That's what happened to me. Before that, a grocery store is the last place I would have bought fried chicken. Best I've had in Charlotte so far. Whole lot better than KFC, Prices's Chicken Coop, Bojangles. I do like Popeye's Spicy Chicken, but prefer Publix Deli Fried Chicken most of all. I have a Harris-Teeter just across the street from me, but go to Publix in Indian Land to get my groceries. it's a little out of the way for me, but I walk out with more groceries for my buck and never go without bringing a box of chicken home. We'll worth it! Who would have thought the best fried chicken around was in a grocery store deli. if not for that free sample, I never would have tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte