Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
So true And all of the DMs I received from my friends here -- made me sure I had to find a way to stay. I love all of you!! There is a God
SouthCharlotte...you were the first one I thought of! We love you, too! Hope this is very good news for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpreets View Post
So would there be any job losses? Nothing is still mentioned about that... (Worried as an employee!!!)
There are always losses in mergers. But, I think most people feel that the Citi purchase would have been a blood bath. WF is a much better fit and should have less of an impact on the employees. There will be cuts but there will also be more opportunity for securing an alternative position since the platforms are more similar.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times
Thank God this news came just before the weekend. I understand nothing is final, but it is quite hopeful.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,256 times
Default Wells Fargo statement on Wachovia merger - October 3

Full statement:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/downloads/pdf/press/WFC_WB_100308.pdf (broken link)

A clip:
Quote:
The combined company will have a strong presence in Charlotte, which will be the headquarters for the combined company'sEast Coast retail and commercial and corporate banking business. St. Louis will remain the headquarters of Wachovia Securities. In addition, three members of the Wachovia board will be invited to join the Wells Fargo & Company Board when the transaction is complete.
Wells Fargo President and CEO, John Stumpf also comments that he is aware that the Wachovia employees have been through a lot and will do everything he can to make this a smooth transition for them.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 AM

76 posts, read 291,438 times
I just talked to my brother, who works in Wachovia e-commerce here in Charlotte, and he seems to think this could be worse for them. Wells Fargo has a fairly strong online presence so there could be a lot of duplicate e-commerce jobs. He's not feeling as confident now as when the merger was with Citi.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennej View Post
I just talked to my brother, who works in Wachovia e-commerce here in Charlotte, and he seems to think this could be worse for them. Wells Fargo has a fairly strong online presence so there could be a lot of duplicate e-commerce jobs. He's not feeling as confident now as when the merger was with Citi.

Same here for my wife. She said they have a conference call at 10am and should know more.

Man when are my lottery numbers going to hit?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Let's all remain positive. This HAS to be better than the CITI deal. Yes, there may be jobs lost but surely not like w/ CITI. There were gonna be jobs lost w/ CITI - and probably in great numbers.

Of course, when it is our own job that is lost, that is a 100% loss to us personally, regardless of how few the other losses there were. But we just have to trust that this is gonna be a better situation. We will get some answers soon - and we sure weren't w/ CITI - that was gonna be a drawn out process, it appeared.

Last edited by brokensky; 10-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
HOW soon until they move to NY? it's the Banking Capital of the US, they can't survive in Cali, St. Louis and Charlotte.. UGH!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
In reality though this is great news for Charlotte, Good News for Wachovia, Good News for the Banking Industry and not so good news for BofA (another strong top competitor).

Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
HOW soon until they move to NY? it's the Banking Capital of the US, they can't survive in Cali, St. Louis and Charlotte.. UGH!
Gosh, don't know, Wulf. Where is our favorite Doom and Gloom poster. He seems to have an "inside track" on Charlotte's impending demise and the purported exodus of all our business entities to the Big Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte