U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 AM

5,137 posts, read 11,756,958 times

Advertisements

Looks like this wont be over for a while

Citigroup accuses Wachovia of 'breach' - * HP | Right Headlines | Map - Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/112/story/229694.html - broken link)

I can only imagine that the judge will force Wachovia to sell itself to Citibank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 AM

509 posts, read 1,255,580 times
Saw this one coming... it's going to get nasty.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,974,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Looks like this wont be over for a while

Citigroup accuses Wachovia of 'breach' - * HP | Right Headlines | Map - Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/112/story/229694.html - broken link)

I can only imagine that the judge will force Wachovia to sell itself to Citibank
It looks like someone in Wachovia forgot to read the fine print when they were signing all those documents!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 AM

35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
No, this is not the problem it appears to be, IMHO. The Feds forced Wachovia to make a deal as they were going to seize them and shut them down. So then CITI stepped in and was going to use this as an opportunity to take advantage of bail out money to dump bad debt on Uncle Sam.

Once the SEC changed its guidelines on marking to market - value vs. fair value - this gave Wachovia a chance to work on their spreadsheets. And the Feds don't want to have to assume the bad debt that CITI was gonna dump on them as part of this deal. So I just don't see the Feds allowing the CITI deal to go thru/. I suspect Lehman could have been saved had the SEC changed their guidelines earlier and that is what makes me sick. Instead of trying to mitigate the "credit crisis" w/ some innovative strategies, Paulson's solution of dumping money into the system struck many of us as a bandaid that still was not going to really remediate the underlying marketing conditions (how we got to this point).

The truth is still not being told, altho I am noticing that some of the financial programs on TV are explaining things in more depth now . . . Most people do NOT understand the debacle w/ Fannie creating these toxic securities . . . and the assumption that buying them meant no probs since they were federally backed. Oh, I could go on and on but my point is . . . I believe the Feds see it is much to their advantage to back the Wach/WF deal, wh/ does not include having to back bad loans wh/ would have been written off w/ the CITI deal.

Last edited by anifani821; 10-03-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 AM

It would be better for Wells to buy Wachovia for many reasons.

Citi would probably shut down a lot of branches.
Wells will more than likely expand or leave everything the same.

I'm hoping that Wells does buy so I can get an account there.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,350,470 times
Either way when we the benefits get dropped from Wachovia I'm going to suntrust!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM

634 posts, read 1,575,624 times
This reminds me of the Merchant of Venice. It appears Citibank is demanding its pound of flesh. If there is a Portia in Charlotte, please speak up now.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,733,591 times
Bob Steele, WB CEO, has a fudiciary responsibility to take the best deal for his shareholders. That is a CEO's number one responsibility - its shareholders.

If the Fed demands that WB take the Citi deal it will still require a vote by shareholders and I strongly suspect that WB's BOD would suggest voting against the Citi deal. Nevertheless, I strongly suspect that WB shareholders would vote against the Citi deal regardless of what the WB BOD suggests.

Citi can sue, but I really think the pressure on the Fed would be overwhelmingly against the Fed requiring WB's shareholders taking a worse deal. Lastly, with the WFC deal there is no Fed involvement, which is something the Fed should want.

The whole deal with Citi was forced and went down in a matter of mere hours. The Fed was just wanting take care of things at the speed of light, not caring about the true outcome and what is best for everyone.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 AM

the problem is that the FDIC head said that they still fully support the Citi/Wachovia deal.

It wont matter anymore if Wachovia really did sign an exclusive agreement. Citibank will take Wachovia to court, and the judge will run in their favor

Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Bank of America wins fight for LaSalle - World business - MSNBC.com

It will be the same outcome....hopefully not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte