Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,542 times

Advertisements

I have a piano sitting in my kitchen right now (don't ask!) that I need to sell. It's in excellent condition, having barely been used, but requires tuning of course and requires someone to come move it. Are there any piano stores or music stores in the area that might buy and pick up a gently used piano? I don't even know where to begin to look for this one... Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 PM

13 posts, read 33,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I have a piano sitting in my kitchen right now (don't ask!) that I need to sell. It's in excellent condition, having barely been used, but requires tuning of course and requires someone to come move it. Are there any piano stores or music stores in the area that might buy and pick up a gently used piano? I don't even know where to begin to look for this one... Thanks in advance!

Why not use craigslist?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNormanSocial View Post
Why not use craigslist?
Well, I'd prefer not to go the CL route if I don't have to... it's not that I won't use it, just that my first choice would be selling to a music/piano type company that will come pick it up.

I have used CL in the past, and have found the buyers there tend to be less reliable, and I've run into issues with them. I don't want the hassle of some Joe Schmoe telling me he's going to buy it and arrange for a pickup and then not showing up, or showing up late, or showing up with his pickup truck half drunk expecting me to help load a piano in the back... which isn't far from what has happened with other CL items I have listed.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I know what you mean. Sometimes, you just get into a hassle w/ CL.

Wonder about a bulletin board at a college that has a music department . . . or CMS - do they have a place to post info on musical instruments for sale? Cause a student is gonna most likely be your market. Well, that is - assuming this is a studio piano. I figured you don't have a baby grand in your kitchen. But then - hey - might be a great island!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know what you mean. Sometimes, you just get into a hassle w/ CL.

Wonder about a bulletin board at a college that has a music department . . . or CMS - do they have a place to post info on musical instruments for sale? Cause a student is gonna most likely be your market. Well, that is - assuming this is a studio piano. I figured you don't have a baby grand in your kitchen. But then - hey - might be a great island!
Hah! Yes, it's just an upright Young Chang. Honestly it's in fantastic condition. I bought it about 10 years ago new when I thought I would take piano lessons. Then I quickly discovered - I have no musical talent!

It's been going everywhere we go, being shoved into this room or that, until we had a flood in our house about 3 days ago and it got moved out of the office it was in to the kitchen to keep it from getting wet. Rather than hassle with moving it back once the flood damage is fixed, I think it just needs to be sold.

I will check with CMS, etc. I don't know if any colleges around here have a good music department. I was just really hoping that some hidden piano store around here is just bonkers to buy and come pick up my lovely Young Chang. I have too much on my hands right now trying to clean up the mess of the rest of the house.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Hah! Yes, it's just an upright Young Chang. Honestly it's in fantastic condition. I bought it about 10 years ago new when I thought I would take piano lessons. Then I quickly discovered - I have no musical talent!

It's been going everywhere we go, being shoved into this room or that, until we had a flood in our house about 3 days ago and it got moved out of the office it was in to the kitchen to keep it from getting wet. Rather than hassle with moving it back once the flood damage is fixed, I think it just needs to be sold.

I will check with CMS, etc. I don't know if any colleges around here have a good music department. I was just really hoping that some hidden piano store around here is just bonkers to buy and come pick up my lovely Young Chang. I have too much on my hands right now trying to clean up the mess of the rest of the house.
Ohhhhh - Young Chang. NICE. Shoot, when you bought one, you did it right! My sister teaches music, but she is over an hour NW of CLT. I don't know anyone else who teaches here . . . but I will keep thinking. This would be a terrific time for someone to purchase a wonderful instrument for their son or daughter interested in piano lessons!! Or for someone who has wanted to start playing again . . .

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,256 times
Default Some suggestions

Here are some possibilities. Contact them to see if they would post a flyer with tear-off phone numbers:

CMS - Northwest School of the Arts
http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/northwest/music.html

Community School of the Arts
http://www.csarts.org/music.htm (broken link)

Music & Arts Store (where band students shop)

http://www.musicarts.com/

Or, contact your nearest high school and leave a message for the Choral Director. In most cases, they know who in the area is looking for a piano.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 AM

Hey marvinnative, thanks so much for the links! I will start contacting them and see if I come up with anything. Appreciate everyone's help!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
What is it and how much do you want.

So happens I'm in the market for a piano.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,256 times
Quote:
Hey marvinnative, thanks so much for the links! I will start contacting them and see if I come up with anything. Appreciate everyone's help!
No problem! Which reminds me...if you happen to have a band instrument collecting dust in a closet somewhere, consider contacting your local high school band director and donate it to the school - especially to the newest high schools who are trying to start up new programs on a very stretched budget. In particular, I know that Marvin Ridge could use a couple of clarinets...anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte