U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 AM

26 posts, read 82,186 times

Advertisements

Which town has the best "town center" area. When I say best, I mean, quiant, family friendly, safe and clean and pretty....

Also, which ones have a very strong sense of community and family (kids) activities?

Does anyone have photos of these town centers?

Just trying to narrow down our search...

Thanks so much!!
Jharris213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 AM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
I think Davidson has a very strong sense of community and does a lot to promote family events. It is also a town that's big on cycling and jogging.

Here are some pic's. Check out the different folders too.

Davidson, NC - Official Website

We live in Mooresville (much larger than Davidson), which also has a nice downtown area. But, activities are spread out over the town and I don't think you have that feel of cohesiveness as you do in Davidson.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,482,132 times
They are all one in the same really. However out of the group Davidson has more activities "downtown" as that is where the college is located and there are things going on there. However; with Birkdale in the Lake Norman Area, Cornelius, Huntersville there is always something going on there. They have live music on the weekends during the summer, kids are running through the fountain, dogs walking owners etc etc. Huntersville hopefully will have the DPK (Discovery Place for Kids) and should get the downtown Huntersville area going again.

So really the Lake Norman Area is Huntersville (Birkdale as you call it) Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 PM

14 posts, read 46,396 times
You should try Matthews, Weddington or Indian Trail too

Old 10-04-2008, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
These are only sample of each downtown
Davidson

Cornelius

Huntersville

Birkdale

Old 10-05-2008, 10:31 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,920,215 times
We live in Birkdale and love it. Birkdale Village was a major consideration in our purchase here. We loved having a downtown in our New Jersey town and we wanted to be able to walk (or bike) to restaurants and shopping. But I will tell you it may not be for everyone. Birkdale Village is not a quaint old downtown area, it is a totally planned modern area. I think they did a great job planning it, but some will find it maybe too much like Disneyland. The place really hops on a Friday and Saturday night; they had concerts every weekend during the summer which attracted lots of families - kids playing in the fountain.

I have been to Davidson a couple of times (farmers market on weekend) and it is very nice and there are a lot of old buildings and it has been here for 100s of years.

You really have to visit these places yourself because a lot of it is personal taste and preference.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
They are all one in the same really. However out of the group Davidson has more activities "downtown" as that is where the college is located and there are things going on there. However; with Birkdale in the Lake Norman Area, Cornelius, Huntersville there is always something going on there. They have live music on the weekends during the summer, kids are running through the fountain, dogs walking owners etc etc. Huntersville hopefully will have the DPK (Discovery Place for Kids) and should get the downtown Huntersville area going again.

So really the Lake Norman Area is Huntersville (Birkdale as you call it) Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville.

jharris213, this may help you with your research

Davidson, NC, City- Data's Info., Davidson College
Huntersville, NC, City- Data's Info., Birkdale Village (an area in Huntersville)
Mooresville, NC (http://www.ci.mooresville.nc.us/home.html - broken link), City- Data's Info.
Cornelius, NC, City- Data's Info.

Lake Norman "extends across four counties and has a thirty mile radius that includes the towns of Davidson, Mooresville, Huntersville and Cornelius."

Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 PM

13 posts, read 29,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post

jharris213, this may help you with your research

Davidson, NC, City- Data's Info., Davidson College
Huntersville, NC, City- Data's Info., Birkdale Village (an area in Huntersville)
Mooresville, NC (http://www.ci.mooresville.nc.us/home.html - broken link), City- Data's Info.
Cornelius, NC, City- Data's Info.

Lake Norman "extends across four counties and has a thirty mile radius that includes the towns of Davidson, Mooresville, Huntersville and Cornelius."
Nice response.

I would say each town is unique in their own way. I personally would vote for Cornelius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or