U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2008, 01:35 PM

246 posts, read 470,878 times

Advertisements

Kirby vacuum people making door to door rounds in my neighborhood and up and down the road today - they want to open an office in Charlotte.

They tell you they'll come in and "fry foam" clean your dirtiest room for free, etc., just to give you a demonstration - no pressure. Thought it was a good idea, so I let the kid in to clean a downstairs room.

Took forever. The guy has to assemble the whole thing and show you each and every part and what it does, and that takes a while before they even start cleaning anything. Seems like a great product, when he got around to actually cleaning the carpet, but the pitch and the assembling (and then dis-assembling) took way too long and it was awkward. I like my Saturdays and I don't have time to waste. I had to go out so I cut the demo short and had him leave.

And if you don't need a $2000 vacuum cleaner, ( and I don't and I'm not in the market for one, anyway) you definitely don't have to waste on these guys. Normally I don't let salesmen into the house, but I thought they were just going to clean something and be off... my mistake.

Check the internet - you can get one on Overstock refurbished for $400 - the ones on ebay are cheaper. Supposed to be a good product in any case - I don't see why they waste their time and yours with poor demonstrations.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:41 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
They are heavy and hard to folks like me(not very strong) to even push around the floor. I fell for the same trick, only it was a young woman I knew, who had to "practice" her pitch. It turned into a very hard sell and she even called her manager to have him make the pitch when I said no.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,060,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag-charlotte View Post
Kirby vacuum people making door to door rounds in my neighborhood and up and down the road today - they want to open an office in Charlotte.

They tell you they'll come in and "fry foam" clean your dirtiest room for free, etc., just to give you a demonstration - no pressure. Thought it was a good idea, so I let the kid in to clean a downstairs room.

Took forever. The guy has to assemble the whole thing and show you each and every part and what it does, and that takes a while before they even start cleaning anything. Seems like a great product, when he got around to actually cleaning the carpet, but the pitch and the assembling (and then dis-assembling) took way too long and it was awkward. I like my Saturdays and I don't have time to waste. I had to go out so I cut the demo short and had him leave.

And if you don't need a $2000 vacuum cleaner, ( and I don't and I'm not in the market for one, anyway) you definitely don't have to waste on these guys. Normally I don't let salesmen into the house, but I thought they were just going to clean something and be off... my mistake.

Check the internet - you can get one on Overstock refurbished for $400 - the ones on ebay are cheaper. Supposed to be a good product in any case - I don't see why they waste their time and yours with poor demonstrations.
Hey bankers need work !

Old 10-04-2008, 02:10 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,919,892 times
One more reason not to let a stranger into your home......

Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 4,719,339 times
I can't believe those are still around and the salesmen still go door-to-door.

I would never let a salesman in the house, period! Just another stranger casing the joint.

Sara

Old 10-04-2008, 05:17 PM

9,230 posts, read 5,207,486 times
Door to door selling is rare these days ... we don't even get JW's anymore.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,350,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Door to door selling is rare these days ... we don't even get JW's anymore.

They found me Wednesday however the dog acted tough that day and they said thye would get back to me

Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
For $2000, consider a central vac! Dear me . . . I am sure Kirby is a good product but they ought to be for that price.

I feel so for anyone trying to do that job . . . door to door anything. It's a virtual world, people! If I want to see a Kirby demonstration, the first place I would look is YouTube - on my own time schedule, LOL!!!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,974,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
For $2000, consider a central vac! Dear me . . . I am sure Kirby is a good product but they ought to be for that price.

I feel so for anyone trying to do that job . . . door to door anything. It's a virtual world, people! If I want to see a Kirby demonstration, the first place I would look is YouTube - on my own time schedule, LOL!!!!!
Kirby is like the Mercedes S-Class of vacuum cleaners. They're very good, but by no means the world's greatest vacuum cleaner. My sister bought one in 1976, when she got married, and still has it - and it still works! My idea of buying a vacuum cleaner is to check the latest ratings in Consumer Reports. I bought their best buy one three years ago for $138 and it still works like a charm. Kirby's appeal runs along the lines of Viking and SubZero appliances - a bit of "snob appeal", rather than being substantially better than vacuum cleaners priced for us mere mortals!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,733,591 times
I've had a Kirby since the mid 70s. I wouldn't have anything else. I've never seen another vacuum any better, and with the debris going into water there is no bagging or dust. I've had numerous houses with central vac systems that I rarely used in the house, mainly using it only to vacuum the car in the garage. I think I paid about $500-$600 in the mid 70s, which was expensive back then. I didn't know they were $2,000 now. If I had to replace mine I would get a refurbished Kirby, and wouldn't care if it was a vintage 70's, 80's, 90's or newer. They are indeed unbelievable...

PS - I wouldn't let a door-to-door salesman inside the house either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte