U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM

1,177 posts, read 423,104 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Can someone point me in the direction of the best public high schools or where I can get some information on them?

I sincerely appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 PM

822 posts, read 2,540,478 times
Search this message board for "high schools." There are plenty of threads. Your question is a very broad one. I know people will be happy to answer but you will need to provide more specifics because "best" high school doesn't mean the same to everyone. The first big question is where will you be living? Your attendance zone determines where you, or your son/daughter, will attend.

I don't think there's a short list of schools simply because there's so many different areas and variables to consider. For example, are you just looking in Meck County or in surrounding counties?

I did a search with the term "high schools" and this was one thread I found. There are others and probably still more useful information hidden away in other threads that relate to the topic of high schools.

High schools in Charlotte area

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay11 View Post
Hi All!

Can someone point me in the direction of the best public high schools or where I can get some information on them?

I sincerely appreciate your help
Public Schools where?

Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Cabarrus County
Mooresville Graded Schools -- Excellent Schools - but quite a commute into Charlotte
Gaston County
Union County
Fort Mill, SC (just South of Charlotte) -- Excellent Schools - a very easy commute into Charlotte

It is a big spread out area. Help us narrow it down for you.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
check our union county-Excellent Schools

Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Try www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) for ratings/info on all schools in each state. You can't comparee across states but you can compare all the CharMeck schools, for instance. The hard part is figuring out the school boundaries, unless it's a small town with only good schools so it doesn't matter. It definitely matters in Charlotte.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 AM

513 posts, read 1,912,767 times
Some of the top schools in the South Charlotte area include:
In Meck Cty - Providence HS, Ardrey Kell HS
In Union Cty: Weddington HS, Marvin Ridge HS
Fort Mill, SC schools
I am not as familiar with schools in other counties or in northern Meck Cty, so there are definitely more schools and areas worth looking into.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM

1,177 posts, read 423,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Search this message board for "high schools." There are plenty of threads. Your question is a very broad one. I know people will be happy to answer but you will need to provide more specifics because "best" high school doesn't mean the same to everyone. The first big question is where will you be living? Your attendance zone determines where you, or your son/daughter, will attend.

I don't think there's a short list of schools simply because there's so many different areas and variables to consider. For example, are you just looking in Meck County or in surrounding counties?

I did a search with the term "high schools" and this was one thread I found. There are others and probably still more useful information hidden away in other threads that relate to the topic of high schools.

High schools in Charlotte area
I guess it is quite broad isn't it? Because I am only doing preliminary research and have not made a decision quite yet, I really have not decided on which area is of most interest. I will say though, that if I make a decision, that decision will be based on the county with the best schools.
Here in Nevada, where I am located, our school district is not the best. And quite frankly, it seems that the newer developed areas of the city seem to have the best teachers...etc. I wasn't sure if that was the same case with Charlotte, as I am sure it is worlds apart and differ greatly.
But, I want to thank you for giving me a starting point into where I can begin gathering information. It really helps. Thanks muffinman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Public Schools where?

Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Cabarrus County
Mooresville Graded Schools -- Excellent Schools - but quite a commute into Charlotte
Gaston County
Union County
Fort Mill, SC (just South of Charlotte) -- Excellent Schools - a very easy commute into Charlotte

It is a big spread out area. Help us narrow it down for you.
thanks so much! I really had no idea of the names of all the counties. This will help narrow things down and I can search by counties as opposed to just Charlotte in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
check our union county-Excellent Schools
will do thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Try www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) for ratings/info on all schools in each state. You can't comparee across states but you can compare all the CharMeck schools, for instance. The hard part is figuring out the school boundaries, unless it's a small town with only good schools so it doesn't matter. It definitely matters in Charlotte.
thanks for the link! exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
Some of the top schools in the South Charlotte area include:
In Meck Cty - Providence HS, Ardrey Kell HS
In Union Cty: Weddington HS, Marvin Ridge HS
Fort Mill, SC schools
I am not as familiar with schools in other counties or in northern Meck Cty, so there are definitely more schools and areas worth looking into.
This is great info! It will allow me to look right into these particular schools. Thanks marblmom!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
In Meck County the top 2 are Ardrey Kell (it's in a newly developed area and has just been open a couple of years) and Providence High School (it was the top H.S until Ardrey Kell was built).

Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 AM

240 posts, read 657,615 times
Cool high schools

Ardrey Kell.

Daughter is in 9th grade there and loves it. Very challenging classes, wonderful teachers who enjoy what they do and a very strict Principal.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,435 times
If you are looking for a smaller more rural area look into North Lincoln High School. It's in Lincoln County on the west side of Lake Norman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or