U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,185 times

Advertisements

It seems Wells and Citi are going to split Wachovia and any merger could take YEARS to be completed... but here's my prediction: whoever owns it will continue to operate as "Wachovia"...my reason is that Wachovia has exceptionally high customer service ratings and very loyal customers. It's foolish to give up name recognition.

So, I am planning on leaving my accounts where they are until I see any changes to fees and policies.

Last edited by Damemeow; 10-06-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM

96 posts, read 176,674 times
Personally I think that your money is safe with Wachovia, but I feel pretty secure in BOA right now. They're huge, and buying banks. I think BOA is definately safe, but I'm Wachovia will still be able to give you money if you were to make a withdraw

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM

44 posts, read 118,598 times
I was fine last week with everything going on, I just kept an eye on it.

However this week did not give me a level comfort. I closed all but 2 accounts and moved to a new bank.

It's a pain, but I need to feel secure. Wachovia has not impressed me with the way this has been handled at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,143 times
SunTrust has been great for us so far. We dumped BofA for abusing their "fee" assessment. We picked SunTrust since our mortgage is through them. You get the second highest checking account for free if you have a mortgage with them. They've pretty much bent over backwards to get our business and keep it.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
No reason to move your money unless your deposits exceed $100K.

Otherwise, stick with your banker friend.

Now, if the new regime changes services and you don't like them, that's a good reason to switch...
Great advice, thank you.
I marched in to our Wachovia branch today (to make a deposit NOT a withdrawl) and I thought; I could never just walk in here and take all my money out...these people know me and they've been so damn nice to me!

But, if the regime changes and all my friends are gone, so am I and my money.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Great advice, thank you.
I marched in to our Wachovia branch today (to make a deposit NOT a withdrawl) and I thought; I could never just walk in here and take all my money out...these people know me and they've been so damn nice to me!

But, if the regime changes and all my friends are gone, so am I and my money.
That seems very reasonable to me! I think you made a good decision - and you have a plan if things change!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Everyone please remember....people pulling money out of banks is what has contributed in a large degree what has happened to both Wamu & Wachovia. So, please calm down, let the dust settle, then make your choices!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 AM

532 posts, read 1,565,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraabb11 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a small local bank where I could put my next downpayment on a house, collect a good rate of interest, and not get penalized for taking the money out? i figure i'll be ready to purchase in a year or so...BBT looked like they had a nice savings program, what about CD's?

Thanks!
Are you eligible to join a Credit Union? When we sold our house, we didn't have another to put our equity in. When I talked to my Credit Union, they told me about a CD specifically for this situation. It's called a Home Buyer's CD. You can put your money into it and it collects a pretty decent interest rate. It has an expiration date (I don't remember how long... 6 months or longer, maybe?) BUT, if you need the money for a new home purchase before the CD matures, you can get the money back out for any home purchase related expenses! It really worked well for us!!! HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
No reason to move your money unless your deposits exceed $100K.

Otherwise, stick with your banker friend.

Now, if the new regime changes services and you don't like them, that's a good reason to switch...
ITA with Native_Son. Don't panic.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM

172 posts, read 527,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Everyone please remember....people pulling money out of banks is what has contributed in a large degree what has happened to both Wamu & Wachovia. So, please calm down, let the dust settle, then make your choices!
I agree completely. I have no intention of pulling my accounts out of Wachovia.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
I roll over my 401k from Wachovia retirement services to my credit union back

I did this because it was under 3 different banks before it was with Wachovia and I dont want to know where exactly all my money is at 30 something years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or