Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 AM

227 posts, read 292,731 times

Advertisements

I say SC, but could be NC too...

Moved to the QC recently. Was curious as to the best place for a (local) beach vacation for a young couple is? We normally beached vacation in the FL/AL panhandle.

We want nice beaches, nice restaurant or two. As uncrowded as possible. (i know this is a stretch), and something that isnt too far of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post

Moved to the QC recently. Was curious as to the best place for a (local) beach vacation for a young couple is? We normally beached vacation in the FL/AL panhandle.

We want nice beaches, nice restaurant or two. As uncrowded as possible. (i know this is a stretch), and something that isnt too far of a drive.
Emerald Isle or Topsail Island in NC get my vote. In SC I'd vote for Kiawah, but it can be pricey!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Hilton Head area is nice too.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Hilton Head area is nice too.
You know, I did not care for Hilton Head when I went last year AT ALL. First of all, you cannot see the ocean or beach from any road unless you are inside some of those gated "villages". And forgot traveling from one village to the other, if you aren't staying in one area you can't get in to even look around. The few areas you can go over to have tolls! I tell you, some super wealthy folks must have planned this place out for sure. The way they have devised it they never have to mix or mingle with us "common folk".

And, as an aside --- locals there will tell you the jelly fish problem is horrible there every August. These stings are incredibly painful and mine lasted a month or so before it healed. The lifeguards told me that local people avoid the beaches then for that reason.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post

As uncrowded as possible -

I would go with Edisto Beach, SC. It sounds like what you're looking for. A small beach town, with a restaurant or two, not close to anything. Second place: Sullivans Island, SC. Third place: Litchfield Beach, SC.

I haven't spent much time at NC beaches, but Holden Beach is quiet and not crowded.

I would encourage you to stay far away from Hilton Head. I agree with the previous poster, it is sort of 'elitist' and pretentious, and there isn't much public beach access. I have never liked it. If you have a money tree in the backyard, Kiawah Island, SC tops them all.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:52 PM

I loved Hilton Head for that reason. I guess what we really enjoyed about it is the fact that you do not have all the public annoyances in Hilton Head as you do in Mytrle Beach. Being a young family we liked the fact we could bike with the kids down to the ocean and not have some 18-21 punk thinking they own the place.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
CA, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can do those things in Litchfield, Sullivans, DeBordieau or Edisto. Myrtle Beach is on the far end of the spectrum, and would be the worst possible option for a family.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
CA, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can do those things in Litchfield, Sullivans, DeBordieau or Edisto. Myrtle Beach is on the far end of the spectrum, and would be the worst possible option for a family.

I agree. Like I said we are a young family and before that we enjoyed being in the middle of all the action. We still have plenty of years ahead of us and when we were in Hilton Head enjoyed our stay. Maybe once we visit the other areas we will see what you mean about HH but for the time being we are comparing it to the night/day aspect of Myrtle beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte