U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times

Advertisements

Don't have the time to read all the postings here....however...

Woman who screams profanities at children should have a stern talking to by the parents of said children. They could go as a group, respectfully and united. Ask very politely that this behaviour stop immediately. If it does not, a complaint should be filed with the HOA.

Children should play in their own yards or in the alley where they won't disturb anyone. I am also not a fan of children yelling and screaming, but, I would not say anything to my neighbours since we have a lot worse issues to deal with. However, we do not have an alley. That is a perfect place for the kids to play...rarely do cars go down there and it is great for those bicycle races or baseball games...I grew up playing in alleys that were far dirtier and disgusting than the ones here in Charlotte...didn't hurt me or the zillion other city kids that were doing the same thing. The advantage of playing in the alley is that you have a bit more room between the play area and the house...making the noise slightly less obvious if the windows are open.

That said, if kids were running all over my lawn and playing in my yard, I would be upset, too. Not enough to actually curse at the kids, but, enough to say something to the parents. My yard isn't the most beautiful, but, it is mine and I really do not want to be responsible for some kid getting hurt on my property and my being responsible for it....again....another vote for playing in the alley.

my apologies if this has already been suggested. time to go to work!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,169,222 times
I just want to reiterate that the children do not go onto this woman's property at all. I can totally understand someone having issues with that. At most they are playing games, riding bikes, drawing with sidewalk chalk, etc. but they stay on the sidewalk or street. These kids are not there all day every day although I will have to say I think more kids will be down there more often now that the weather is cooler and throughout most of the winter. Most of the parents of the kids, if not all, are very good at keeping kids from being obnoxious. If they are all very good about getting out of the way of cars, my son is and he is only six.

We finally got an answer from a representative of our neighborhood. The kids ARE allowed to play there and she said if there were anymore confrontations to call her immediately and she would try to come down and explain the same thing to her. Crazy lady is also allowed to park there. Parents did try to talk to her but she started screaming.

Umm, house is the second to last on that street. Alleys are actually more dangerous than the actual street - more blind spots. Unfotunately they are way too often used by folks other than the homeowners. Don't see how they would disturb any less though, there are typically more houses on an alleyway than a culdesac.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Interesting post... Our neighborhood is full of kids and it has always surprised me the amount to retirees that live here also. It would seem that most people that drive through our neighborhood would realize that fact before they purchase... Good luck Jenn... this is a tough one... Oh, quick question....did the neighbor in question purchase the last house on the street, the green one that overlooks the common area?

How do you know which neighborhood Jenn is talking about???

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM

743 posts, read 2,024,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Hey! Grouchy people......

You were once kids too. Chalk drawing on the ground is not just for the "ghetto". I did it as a kid, as others did and I was far from the "ghetto". I still don't live in the ghetto and kids still draw with chalk.

Chalk comes off when it rains......oh, waitaminute

Let the little rug rats play and be merry.

How I remember roaming the neighborhood with my other 3 friends. Playing in the streets and sitting along the sidewalks/curbs talking. Wow, we turned out to be such a burden on society. I agree gimme a break, if they were destroying private property, tearing up your flower beds, breaking into your car or denting it....etc. that would be a different story but come on. Mostly all parents work full time nowadays, they get home and have to get dinner ready. Who can leave the house to take them to the park when they can watch them from the kitchen/dining room window while they play out front or just a little down the street. I live on a through street and hate it!!!! They speed and have no sense whatsoever that kids are out playing at 5pm. I am talking about kids just crossing the street not playing in it and they have to run like chickens to get to the sidewalk. I would love a culdesac for this reason.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM

743 posts, read 2,024,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
All for kids playing outside...and personally think skinned knees from asphalt were awesome and miss the days when kids played outside alone until it was time to eat dinner ( I think a lot of life lessons are being robbed because of helicopter parents)...but I don't understand playing in the street in front of a culdesac when there are perfectly nice yards, woods and parks where free-range kids could play.

And why make them play in front of the house belonging to the one neighbor who gets mad... can't they play in front of one of their own yards?
But obviously there are more than just her house on the culdesac or at the very beginning of the culdesac. How do we know they don't live right across the street or even next door?? And they can't have their friends over to play with?? A lot of whatif's.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM

845 posts, read 2,318,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
How do you know which neighborhood Jenn is talking about???
Lucky guess... I guess.....

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Wow, this situation sounds so much like the stuff I remember from when I was a kid. We just moved on to play somewhere else. No amount of conversations from parents to these old biddies ever changed anything. They just got older and more bitter every passing year.
My Dad used to grump about certain neighborhood kids. Then he (not me) wondered why our house got egged.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 AM

52 posts, read 136,227 times
Default Get a Grip

People need to get a grip.

Kids will be kids and if people do not like it they should live in a retirement community. As long as kids are not involved in illegal or immoral activity, we should support outdoor play in any area that does not incur damage.

As far as damage goes, let the kids play and if a window is broken or car is dented, the parents can pay for it. I broke numerous windows as a kid while playing baseball and my mom made me sell stationary to pay for it. It taught me several good lessons and the neighbors understood every time.

I grew up playing lots of sports and we played basketball late into the night with up to 10 kids with music balring from the radio. The next door neighbor was an elderly couple that welcomed our presence. They siad they had no concerns over the noise, as they knew we were not off getting into trouble while we were playing basketball. I learned a lot from this elderly couple.

I have a basketball goal in my driveway and I make sure all of the neighborhood kids know they are welcome to play on our goal or in our yard anytime. It is not rare for our family to come home and find numerous kids playing in our driveway.

What is the worst that can happen - tear up some grass, bang a garage door, leave some trash, break a light fixture? Who cares - they are kids learning how to play with friends, developing relationships and having fun doing a physical activity. Most importantly, they have an activity to enjoy and are not out causing trouble in other ways.

If someone does not rejoice in the noise created by kids playing they need to move to a place where kids do not live. Yell, scream, laugh, argue, etc... these are all valuable parts of growing up!

It sounds like some adults did not do this enough as kids!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times
my 2 cents.

Any neighborhood non criminal issues should be brought up neighbor to neighbor. If it cannot be resolved in that fashion, try a mediator, someone outside of the area. The HOA is a good resource. After that its a live and let live, because nothing criminal is occurring.

Please be aware from a legality stand point, Children playing in a public street, which this is, is illegal, cul-de-sac or not. It is kind of an unwritten rule though about kids playing in the street, but if something where to happen the child is at fault. (the civil court may see things differently). Parking on the street is not illegal if there are no signs there. The HOA can state there are rules against this, but then its up to HOA to enforce the rules and can only fine the home owners if they violate an HOA policy. This is a sticky situation though, because if they start enforcing it on her, they would need to enforce it on everyone. Mind you these are also hard fines to get, because usually there are "reasons" for parking on the street, unless its camped out. Be careful if the HOA says its ok to play in the street, it's a public street (most likely) and thus governed by general laws that the HOA cannot change.

I am not aware of any local Obscenity laws, though there are laws that could apply to either party. There noise ordinances, disorderly conduct, damage to property, etc and other misdemeanors that could come into play. Retaliation on a neighbor is not the answer and could lead to legal battles.

She should not be swearing at the children. If she has issue she can request them to "fix" whatever issue was at hand. If it was noise, please keep it down, riding next to her car please be careful etc. Don't know the issue, so it wouldn't hurt to ask what the issue is first. Then its an issue you bring up with the parents.

IMHO, I don't see an issue with kids playing in a cul-de-sac. But every person on that cul-de-sac has rights even minority rights of the 1 of 4 without kids. Cul-de-sacs are not only for Families. There should be no expectations of such. In fact many people like them because of the reduced traffic and larger yards. I was looking at that sort of thing as well. It is not a park though, I would have an issue if 20 families along the block came down to play in front of my house because I lived on one along with 3 other people. How odd would it be if I decided to have a block party on some one else's block. That's essentially what we are talking about. (Also note to have a block party you have to get city approval to get the barricades). I don't know all the circumstances (number of kids, age, activities, time of day, frequency, etc.) so really I don't have a stance either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte