U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,981 times

Advertisements

All,

My little 4 year old apparantely can't see! I am now heading into the new territory of finding children's eyeglasses for a good price. She will have to wear them all time, so I need some that are durable, but also look attractive.

Does anyone have any suggestions in the greater Charlotte area? I live out by Lake Wylie, but am willing to drive if necessary. My thoughts were Lenscrafters, Target????

Thank you so much!

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 AM

755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Charles Marshall with Horizon Eye Care is a wonderful pediatric opthalmologist. They have a bunch of locations.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM

999 posts, read 4,253,048 times
My daughter got her first pair of glasses at 18 mos.....even at age 4 the glasses with the hooks over the ears are a great idea, so running, jumping riding a bike etc won't cause them to fall off....usually they only "come' that way in the smallest glasses, but many places will take whatever frame you buy (metal frame, don't think it can be as easily done with plastic) and add them. I can't help as to where since we lived in CT back then, but I know a Sears in Fayetteville offered to do them for me (she's 13 but still needs the hooks as she can't put them back on her own face if they fall off). I doubt a lenscrafters or walmart would do it for you, but you never know until you ask.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,441,208 times
If you don't already have the prescription, yes, go to an opthamologist not an optometrist (which is likely what a Lenscrafters, Wal Mart, etc would have on staff). But, I would never purchase eyeglasses from an opthamologist's office. The prices are typically outrageous (a lot of patients are talked into purchasing on the spot and they usually don't mention that the prescription is yours and can be taken anywhere).

It's been a long time since I've been but from about 10-19-years-old I bought my glasses from Sears. I have no idea if Sears still has this department or if their choices are optimal. I haven't been in the last few years because inventory in the entire store is lacking and service, well, it's just not the Sears I grew up with.

They literally had the best deals going. I always purchased two for one (which is not an uncommon deal these days but make sure you're not overpaying for eyeglass pair #1) and the insurance (sweetest part of the deal!). With the insurance (there was no deductible and the cost was minimal, otherwise, I'd advise against it), there was replacement for the full life of the eyeglasses no matter how long you'd had them. I was in a car accident once, my 2-year-old glasses shattered in the collision. I went to Sears to get a new pair and the woman insisted I go home, find any remnant of the glasses I could find and come back with it so she could replace them at no additional cost. Came back with a fraction of the eyeglasses, discovered that line had been discontinued and was able to select an entirely different style (more stylish too!), at no additional cost.

Sears didn't always have the widest selection but at that age, there was enough to choose from and they were attractive enough. And, they were definitely durable.

I still wear eyeglasses and another option you'd likely find at any distributor are Flexible Frames. Well worth the money! I'm not gentle with my eyeglasses, they take a beating and they somehow manage to always pop back into shape. Gotta love it.

Remember to tell your little girl that girls with glasses are beautiful!!!

Good luck and have fun with your choices. They definitely lend a lot to one's personality.

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,981 times
Default Thanks to all!

thanks so much to all of you for your help! My daughter has been to the eye doctor (pediatric, highly recommended here in charlotte) and as a former eyeglass/contact lens wearer, I knew to avoid the eye doctors office for lenses/frames! It has been years though since my lasik surgery...and first time out there with a child looking for frames.

I agree with the last poster...sears seems to be the best price so far. I will try them.

Thanks to you all!!!! Just another journey and adventure in life

Amy

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 AM

386 posts, read 839,414 times
Since it is her first pair I would definately take her in to try on different frames, etc. But here is a great site to get a second pair very cheaply - Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00 (http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=5 - broken link) someone sent me the website when I was looking for glasses for my son.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,011,441 times
I'll second catonc's recommendation of zenni optical. 3 of us wear glasses and we all get them from zenni. They are great for a back up pair or even your regular pair. We have ordered 5 pairs from zenni and been very happy with all them, all the perscriptions have been spot on. I would be a bit concerned because she is so young, you have to make sure they fit properly but for a back up pair you don't have much to lose.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Be mindful of BBB records.

Sara

Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybean View Post
thanks so much to all of you for your help! My daughter has been to the eye doctor (pediatric, highly recommended here in charlotte) and as a former eyeglass/contact lens wearer, I knew to avoid the eye doctors office for lenses/frames! It has been years though since my lasik surgery...and first time out there with a child looking for frames.

I agree with the last poster...sears seems to be the best price so far. I will try them.

Thanks to you all!!!! Just another journey and adventure in life

Amy
Lasik surgery, now you're talking. Had the money at one time, was too afraid. Don't have the money now, would love it. Isn't that always how it goes?

Good luck to you and the little one.

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or