U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,116 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to the Charlotte NC are mid-October. How is the market for administrative assistant jobs. I currently live in Albany NY and am ready to make the move. Packing it all up and just going.

Any info on apartments and administrative assistant jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryhyman View Post
I plan on moving to the Charlotte NC are mid-October. How is the market for administrative assistant jobs. I currently live in Albany NY and am ready to make the move. Packing it all up and just going.

You aren't coming without a job are you???

Guess you have a trust fund or at least a years worth of savings to live on?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Is it that bad?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM

I have my resume into many employment agencies. Don't think it will take long to become employed. I have 25 years + of administrative & managerial experience. Even if I have to work for a temp agency, that'll be good with me. I'm in New York, remember? Taxes, taxes, taxes........
I'm ready to make the move; kids are raised. Always wanted to live in the south and now is the time.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,394,041 times
Don't move to Charlotte without a job. I made that mistake, and hundreds of resumes later, after a year, I "landed" a long term TEMPORARY assignment with a major company in the area. There are many Administrative Assistants jobs available, but you have to keep in mind that there are thousands of other applicants going after the same job you are. Most staffing companies in the area are a joke. They want you to come in, you take the test, and then you never hear from them. Specially if you have one interview with a potential hiring company, and if you don't get hire, the staffing company will throw you to the back burner. Avoid AppleOne in the University area, W2 in Tyvola and I-77. Spherion/Today's Staffing in South Park is pretty good. Have plenty of money saved, you might be looking for an entire year. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,124,238 times
I'd really do some research and search the boards. Many people who have relocated to Charlotte with high expectations and no job have really struggled and been faced with disappointment.

I really want to relocate myself and started with my plan over a year ago. Because of the economy - I have decided to delay the move and wait and see what is happening with the economy and Charlotte after the first of the year.

Read through other threads in this forum over the last several days - any title with Relocating - finding an job, etc - I think you will find the answer to your questions already answered many times. I visit the CD Charlotte forum almost daily and have been reading/following what has been happening in the Charlotte area on the job front for over a year and there are posts about people struggling to find employment almost daily.

Not to discourage you, but I think you really should investigate and read more to get a better picture of the current Charlotte market.

No doubt many other locales will chime in soon

Last edited by KansasChick; 10-07-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Is it that bad?
It really is - don't do it unless you have that year's worth of savings to live on that I already mentioned.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM

257 posts, read 585,844 times
I would really wait. I am thinking of moving back too and even with a ton of contacts I can't find anything. Also, I just looked and Albany's unemployment rate is 5.0% right now while Charlotte is trending up to 7.1%. If you really need to get down here soon I would broaden your search and include Raleigh/Richmond/Atlanta and maybe you will have more options. Best of luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM

15 posts, read 33,807 times
Default Relocation- another point of view

While the responses so far are good, sometimes it's good to approach things as "how can you" rather than why you can't. Granted it is risky just picking up and moving without a job, however, if your finances are in line, then you just need a plan. With that in mind it is all about your experience and your strategy.
First of all, assess your skills. Assuming they are up to date based on your experience, start with a plan. Research organizations similar to your industry experience and start contacting them now. Just because a job isn't posted doesn't mean there isn't a need, and soliciting in advance shows initiative and will set you apart from competition. Recognize that for an admin position, unless you come down job hunting first, you will not get hired without being interviewed in person, but you can create interest/demand for when you arrive. Since you are coming from outside Charlotte, make sure you have letters of recomendation from previous employers- these still carry weight for getting the interview.
Second, do you know anyone in Charlotte? If so, start networking and get them working for you by circulating your resume and personal recomendations for you.
If you do not know anyone, it will be tougher, but not impossible. You just have to create a need. Example- as you can see from my title, I'm a Realtor. Real estate is tough here as in other areas. Therefore, any qualified Realtor hungary and worth their salt would probably be interested in helping someone who wants to relocate to Charlotte find a job-creates a potential win -win situation.
Go to the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce site to start research potential employees. www.charlottechamber.com From this site you can get a list of largest employers, Headquartered Fortune 500 companies, number of companies by industry as well as lots of misc. things for people relocating. Start making job hunting phone calls and making friends on the phone. You will be amazed at how many people live here that have moved from somewhere else- the majority more than willing to help someone trying to do something they have already done. you'll be suprised at how many people are from Upstate NY.
Finally, get your Albany network working for you. Are you a member of any clubs/activities with chapters or equivilent groups in Charlotte? Network through personal and professional associations. I am sure many people who know you would not mind making a phone call or two to help you out.
Perhaps an ex boss or a friend would call a competitor or an affiliate of their business in Charlotte on your behalf.
Remember- most people like helping others- just be sincere and put a plan together. Coming from Albany you will love not having to shovel a path to your grill this winter!
Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM

158 posts, read 497,994 times
Quote:

I am also in that line of work. Have over 10 years of experience, and moved here without job. I have enough money saved and it will keep me afloat for a while, but as of now I am still unemployed. Been here since June. Registered with every agency in town, took numerous tests, so far got one temp assignment that lasted 3 weeks.

This being said, I love it here and never want to go back to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte