Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM

56 posts, read 157,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was just curious to find out how many of you own all brick homes. I have a preference for brick homes but want to know other's opinions. Are they really worth the higher sticker price? Being from NY a lot of our homes are brick so that's just what we're used to. Do those Vinyl homes hold up as well?

Thanks in advance.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
We don't have brick or vinyl. We have a cedar sided home. We love it. It is surrounded by trees and makes it feel more woodsy, our style.

Brick always feels too formal to me and vinyl is not our style either.

But, that is the beauty of so many styles!

When we first moved here everyone said, "Oh, you want an all brick house." I found it a bit funny that so many felt they should TELL us what we wanted!

Dawn

Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbound2007 View Post
Hi all. I was just curious to find out how many of you own all brick homes. I have a preference for brick homes but want to know other's opinions. Are they really worth the higher sticker price? Being from NY a lot of our homes are brick so that's just what we're used to. Do those Vinyl homes hold up as well?

Thanks in advance.

Jen
Many people like the look of brick, but I have many clients that don't. A lot of the builders now are using hardiplank fiber cement siding -- IMO it looks a lot nicer than vinyl and is supposed to be extremely durable. According to the builders it lasts for 15 years without needing to be painted and has a 50 year warranty.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM

135 posts, read 503,685 times
Brick is a specific market in the home market, I would love to own a brick home one day ! Low maintenance, looks great and lasts forever of course. It's a bit more expensive here in the south because it's not the norm. Hardiplank siding is an excellent building material and alot better that vinyl siding and I would recommend that idea as well Don't be scared to get a vinly siding home either pretty low maintenance may have to pressure wash due to dirt accumulating on it and the same with brick !! Goodluck ! How come so many people from the North want to move to North Carolina ?? Must be a great place !! I definitely think it is !

Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM

172 posts, read 584,486 times
We had cedar shakes is NY and all brick here. The brick is definitely lower maintenance. I think it is a personal choice as to what you prefer.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM

52 posts, read 149,848 times
Purchased an all brick home...My wife and I always wanted one. Brick in our opinion is beautiful and will last forever . Yes we are also from the North....reason for relocating.....<G> I cant think of any reasons not to.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM

56 posts, read 157,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin2100 View Post
How come so many people from the North want to move to North Carolina ?? Must be a great place !! I definitely think it is !
Are you kidding me!! The home we now live it which is all of 1165 sq feet is worth around 420k (go figure)-we want to upgrade our home but can't afford to here. Not to mention the cold, living in a SEVERLY overcrowded area, horrible (for the most part) school system, the rudist people you would EVER meet (ok-not all of them :-))- BUT mostly because we visited NC 2 1/2 years ago and i absolutely loved it!! We can actually afford to live in a nice neighborhood and our kids can go to a decent school! what's not to love!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
The difference won't be seen for 20-30 years... Up North where homes are that age on AVERAGE in many neighborhoods, it's easy to see the difference in exterior materials. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find 30 year old homes in most of the areas surrounding Charlotte.

Granted the milder winters here are easier on the exterior of the homes, however vinyl generally starts looking like crap rather quickly. Even wood shingles which hold up if you take care of them, get dull. Some people like the natural look of dull cedar, but I think it looks so much better on the houses and decks if you maintain it (which is a whopping pain in the ass year after year).

For low maintenance and holding the look for a long time, I would definitely prefer brick/stone. It's important to note that there's many stone options besides the traditional fire engine red brick - I've seen many beautiful brick options.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM

73 posts, read 330,566 times
I moved from South Florida to North Carolina six months ago. In South Florida, pretty much everything is stucco. When I came to North Carolina to house hunt and saw brick homes, I knew that I wanted a brick home (although ours is only brick front). I think brick is beautiful. I have neighbors that came from an area that had a lot of brick homes and some of them chose Hardi Plank. We have a choice in our neighborhood. I guess coming from South Florida, I wanted something different.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times
I've lived in 2 diff. vinyl houses (neighborhoods abouve $300k) and will def. go brick next time. You can hear the vinyl whipping in the wind storms, the vinyl comes off in heavy wind storms as well. In both houses i've seen neighbors sides of houses blown off and land in others yard. I would suggest you go for brick or hardboard. I had a hardboard house and had no issues at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte