U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,476 times

Advertisements

Simply amazing what level people will stoop to, to push their agendas.

Push to register felons to vote could aid Obama -- dailypress.com (http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-felons-voting1004oct04,0,5100561.story - broken link)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,314,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What do you mean? Precinct books have to be updated. People move, die, change parties . . . Are you saying - precinct workers have somehow manipulated voter registration and wiped off people's names - just in one party, or what?
This would be one example. NC is mentioned as one of the states where there are questions. Again, does not appear to be systematic or coordinated, but could be an issue nonetheless.

Elections officials deny illegally purging voters - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/ap_on_el_ge/voter_purges - broken link)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
We gotta keep this local, guys, LOL!!!

I would like to remind everyone . . . you can check on your registration ahead of election day.

Also, you should have received a voter registration card in the mail.

In addition, if you get to the poll, and your name is NOT on the books, and you are sure you are in the right polling place, there is a form that can be filled out that will allow you to still vote.

There is really no reason that someone would be turned away from a polling place, unless they are trying to do something like vote in several different polling places, or they moved and they forgot to change their address w/ the elections board, etc.

Heck, they don't even require ID any more, wh/ I find OUTRAGEOUS. A person should have to prove they are, indeed, who they say they are.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,314,981 times
How prevalent are provisional ballots in NC?
We registered when we got our new drivers licenses over a month ago, but haven't gotten any cards in the mail yet.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
This would be one example. NC is mentioned as one of the states where there are questions. Again, does not appear to be systematic or coordinated, but could be an issue nonetheless.

Elections officials deny illegally purging voters - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/ap_on_el_ge/voter_purges - broken link)
Thank you for the link. Stlterp! I think it would be good to remind your friends, neighbors and coworkers to make sure they have a voter registration card in their possession or to check ahead to make sure they are properly registered. After reading that article, I know that is what I am gonna do!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Tomorrow is the last day you can register or people who not sure better check to see if they are in the system

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM

419 posts, read 1,239,278 times
If the "disenfranchised" split their vote evenly between democrats and republicans, nobody would be reaching out to get these people registered.

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Yea, right! Got some good names off of tombstones? There was no oral indication that he was representing only African Americans, just avoidance of European Americans. I now know why there was a literacy test.
What is your problem with my statement? Or have I flunked the comprehension test too?

As for 90% of blacks voting from Obama, I'm sorry that I didn't get the memo. But I'll be certain to stay true to my color.

I don't suppose any of these remarks are in the least bit racist.

Sara

Quote:
We registered when we got our new drivers licenses over a month ago, but haven't gotten any cards in the mail yet.
OH!!! That is worrisome. It is so close to the election now.

Here is some info on provisional ballots in NC - and a lot more info if you check out the link. Now this is an organization w/ an agenda, but I think they are truly trying to do the right thing, LOL, and the info seems very factual.

"Electionline.org just released their report on the 2008 primary elections. You can read it all at 2008 Primary in Review . Electionline advised the following for North Carolina: 69.3% of provisional ballots that could not be counted were for voters who were not registered to vote. 14.2% of voters whose ballots were not counted had been removed from the rolls. Electionline did not provide the number of provisional ballots."

Provisional Ballots Issues

Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,629,298 times
Quote:
If you registered, your ballot wouldn't be provisional. Do your names appear on the NC Board of Elections web site yet?

North Carolina State Board of Elections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or