Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,658,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
Where on here are you getting the idea that I don't want expert advice? I'm the one that was chastized for *thinking* of coming to Charlotte and then was *educated* that my M*sshole ways obviously weren't going to work in your area.......

I like butter on my popcorn, please. Oh and salt.

My eyesight gets worse by the day. Was that a thumb sticking up at me or the middle finger??
If it was your thumb..well then good luck in your move to CLT and please for your sake have a job before you get here.
On the other hand, or finger, well you know what my sentiments would be for that.
LOL
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,232,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
I didn't say I was moving there without a job, I said that I hadn't even started looking for a job yet. Don't worry, I'm not one to live off the system. I'm a big girl, I take care of myself.

Thanks to everyone for your insights on the area. I will definitely rent first, if I decide to go south, and narrow my areas of interest down that way.

I appreciate all your help.

As far as commutes go, I'm in MA - we do nothing but commute.

DarinsMom
I was not around to correct your misperception about my advice - but thanks to Loves, who did clarify exactly what I meant.

Everyone thinks he/she is not going to have the same experience as everyone else w/ the job search . . . so . . . we are trying to put some realistic advice out there. Seems the potential transplants think we Southerners are not putting the welcome mat out by being honest.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM

91 posts, read 279,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
My eyesight gets worse by the day. Was that a thumb sticking up at me or the middle finger??
If it was your thumb..well then good luck in your move to CLT and please for your sake have a job before you get here.
On the other hand, or finger, well you know what my sentiments would be for that.
LOL
John
Well the middle finger would certainly be a M*sshole thing, wouldn't it? But I'm not that ignorant. It's just a thumbs up.

I'm not out to ruffle feathers people, I'm just a regular working mom trying to raise my kiddos in better area. That's all. No hidden agendas. No subliminal messages. It is what it is.

DarinsMom

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 23,152 times
As far as safety goes I know that a lot of people like to tend to stay away from Wilkinson Blvd, Freedom Drive, Some parts of The Plaza Road.

These are all within close proximity of the Uptown area.

Safe places to live in my opinion are North Charlotte such as Mooresville, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson. As far as South Charlotte you might want to look at Ballantyne, Providence Road Area, Southpark area and even maybe in Fort Mill, SC (Approx. 20 minutes or so from Uptown Charlotte).

Fort Mill also has very low taxes and is just outside of Ballantyne which is a short drive away. Fort Mill is probably around the price point you are looking for as well. The other areas are safe but also nice and you will pay accordingly.

Let me know if you need any more help and I can certainly do so.

Thanks,

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-15-2008 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: NO SIGNATURES

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM

63 posts, read 257,146 times
DarinsMom,

while i understand that you are not afraid to commute, trust me when i say that there are plenty of areas that offer a relatively short commute (under 30 mins w/traffic) in your price range. as a DC area transplant i love my 20 min commute to uptown from northlake area (with traffic) where the same distance in VA would be over an hour and i didnt even go into DC. while i wouldn't compromise my happiness for a shorter commute its nice to have the extra time with the family. also easy to get home in an emergency.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM

232 posts, read 726,758 times
DarinsMom,

I had the worse commute in MA. I commuted from the north shore to Marlboro every day. It was a total nightmare, and when it snowed it took me about 3-4 hours to get home. On Friday's my commute was exactly 2 hours..

Having lived in Waxhaw- I was constantly driving to uptown and to the airport. Also always stuck on Providence Road (16)...however the traffic was still WORSE in Mass....and I think it will always be that way

just my 2 cents

PS. Not sure where you will be working? but Union County is a nice area to raise a family.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 40,987 times
My husband and I just moved to Steele Creek from Queens, NY and LOVE IT. Its awesome. Really nice area with lots of great shopping and McDowell Nature Preserve is nearby so a great place to hike right near Lake Wylie. Very family oriented.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM

64 posts, read 158,366 times
Charlotte is a crime infested cesspool. We moved there from NJ 8 years ago and just moved back to NJ. What a joy to be out of that hideous place.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,458,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson12 View Post
Charlotte is a crime infested cesspool. We moved there from NJ 8 years ago and just moved back to NJ. What a joy to be out of that hideous place.
Believe me when I say, those of us here couldn't be happier for you

Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 PM

15 posts, read 40,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson12 View Post
I literally choked when I read that. I wasnt aware NJ could ever compare to NC. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte