Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,064,843 times

Advertisements

Sorry you've only heard horror stories and find Monroe Middle undesirable. Fortunately, we have had a very different experience. Also, MM does not have the lowest scores in the county, I won't name which schools do though. The demographic is largely Black and Latino but it's not a war zone by any means. Also, rezoning has taken place a number of times to ensure it remains largely Black and Latino (anyone is welcome to infer what they wish). Too bad enough people don't get to see first hand how hard working these children are and the dedication of their teachers and principal (whom I actually don't see eye-to-eye with but ... ). I am surprised to hear about this though because MM is overcrowded so this proposal doesn't make sense to me.

I really hope you get the desired school assignment for your child or find a more suitable alternative. But let me say one more time, aside from the fact that these kids are middle schoolers (a yukky population to begin with), the environment is very comfortable, as well as conducive to learning and the school produces its own fair amount of scholastic stars. I know this from personal experience.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,303,830 times
Saralee - I'm glad you joined this discussion, because I know that you have recent firsthand knowledge of Monroe schools, and I appreciate hearing from someone who truly knows the situation.

I think the School Board is trying to work with projected 2010 population (note the numbers on the charts here) and overcrowding until such time as the next new MS/HS complex (D) can be funded.

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/Sun_Valley_Relief_Proposal_Packet.pdf (broken link)

Note that taxpayers are not excited about building new schools when some schools are not at capacity. They are working to be good stewards of our tax dollars, and I appreciate that. I'm sure they would appreciate some constructive suggestions at the public hearing October 21:

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communicat..._%20Relief.pdf

Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
The demographic is largely Black and Latino but it's not a war zone by any means. Also, rezoning has taken place a number of times to ensure it remains largely Black and Latino (anyone is welcome to infer what they wish).
What exactly does this mean?

Personally we invest MORE than our mortgage in private education as we do not wish to intrust our most valuable assets to public education for a few reasons. But what exactly are you getting at with your post?
You want to use the 'free' system and wish it to be white only, or white mostly?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:58 PM

396 posts, read 966,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Possible Sanford Road location would open 2011
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communicat...n_11-19-07.pdf
Just as an FYI that document is over a year old. Since then the proposed school was removed from the discussion. Then at back to school night this year we were told by the principal of our current school (where most of the kids would come from) that the proposed school was put back on the list and was scheduled to break ground in 2009 and open in 2010. Of course that is still probably subject to change until they actually break ground.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,452,133 times
NO! Sara is saying that the schools have rezoned, not her personally! She is saying that UC has done the rezoning to insure that Monroe stays mostly black and latino.

Sara has children IN the school and is saying she has had a positive expererience.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
What exactly does this mean?

Personally we invest MORE than our mortgage in private education as we do not wish to intrust our most valuable assets to public education for a few reasons. But what exactly are you getting at with your post?
You want to use the 'free' system and wish it to be white only, or white mostly?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
NO! Sara is saying that the schools have rezoned, not her personally! She is saying that UC has done the rezoning to insure that Monroe stays mostly black and latino.
And what is the purpose of Monroe doing this?
Is this not racist?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,452,133 times
Of course, but don't blame Sara, she wasn't saying she was doing it. That was my concern.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
And what is the purpose of Monroe doing this?
Is this not racist?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,303,830 times
OK, let me shed a little light here, before this goes too far...

Union County has had a long policy of "neighborhood schools." That has been one of the reasons for the huge influx of newcomers to the county. As the suburban communities have sprung up, "neighborhood schools" have been built and the population that arrived attends the nearby school.

Monroe is a school with a very long history. Initially, Monroe City Schools had their own school system (back in the glory days of them being the "elite" system in the county.) There was the rural Union County Schools System and a separate Monroe City Schools System. When the rural county started to grow, and more affluent families moved into the newest developments out in what had been the rural county, it left Monroe standing alone with a very unbalance low income/minority population. At that point, Monroe City Schools were forced to merge with Union County Public Schools and there has been a constant shift and struggle with rearranging the boundaries to correct this unbalance.

Now, as you can attest to on this forum, deserved or not, no one recommends anyone move to Monroe because of this long standing "label," despite the fact that things have improved over the years (a new superintendent, Ed Davis, new principals and new teachers in Monroe, new monies pumped into upgrading the school facility and sports facilities. So, I'm sure there is enough blame to go around about how this situation occurred originally, but as for right now, the current Superintendent and School Board are working toward solutions. And, as you can see by the tone of this thread, moving families back to Monroe is not a popular idea...

My hope is that this realignment could help Monroe lose this "label" and move things along toward helping Monroe come back to its glory days.

Last edited by marvinnative; 10-11-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 07:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
I hope Monroe cleans itself up in the future, but I'm not going to lie to you.....I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for this....

Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,021,859 times
Default we are in the same boat

our neighborhood might go to Monroe middle and I wasn't happy with the idea of Sun Valley schools so this just made things worse for our neighborhood. I am hoping it doesn't work out and I know many of our neighbors are going to the meeting. We don't plan on stayting in our current home when our children are school aged though and we will most likely go with a private or Catholic school. If we do switch to Monroe middle it will definitely hurt our property values even more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte