U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 4,725,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Saralee,

I was not trying to be confrontational, but the way you described the situation was a bit alarming.
The reality of it is disappointing, if not alarming, and despicable, if not criminal.

But I understood where you were coming from, no malice meant on my part either.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Just wanted to add here that I sincerely appreciate marvinnative's input because her historical viewpoint, as a native, is priceless. I'm delighted every time she gives us the history that has shaped our adopted home.

I think she's a bit "optimistic too." But it certainly gives me alternate perspectives to consider and it helps me to shape a more balanced view.

Sara

Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM

8,528 posts, read 10,392,610 times
If I choose to not want to have my kids goto schools in Monroe, that is my right. I'm not "ashamed" to say it at all. If you guys want to think that its wrong to feel this way, then go right ahead, I don't mince words....

Again, I DO hope Monroe turns itself around since I live so close, but I also am realistic and don't expect it to happen anytime soon. If you think the town is going to be transformed in 5 years, your crazy. 10 minimum I'd suppose, but in order for the work needed to be done, you can't snap your fingers and just make it happen in such a short period of time in light of the lousy economy. People are going to be LESS willing to PAY for all the things you need to have done.

Just my honest .02

Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Like indicated previously, you're entitled. No one even asked you to be ashamed. But knocking an entire population due to misguided perceptions well ...

I'll also say again, Monroe schools do not have the lowest scores in the county but oddly enough, most people choose to believe that they do.

And I don't think Monroe has so much turning around to do that it should take 10 years. Growth has to move outward and people recognize that (hence, why the value of our home is steadily increasing). Somehow people forget that Monroe spans many, many socioeconmic ranges and the population here is extremely diverse. In many ways, it is the eptiome of a Southern community in the sense that it' remained a lot of its charm and many natives and transplants alike don't think it needs to look like other UC communities to be desirable.

Sara

Old 10-12-2008, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,465 times
Default Many Thanks To All

I have been happy to read all the info on Union County schools and the history of Monroe Middle. Also thrilled to be given the link to plans for new construction and any insiders thoughts on the Board of Ed. Thank you to everyone who added their 2-cents.

I have to ask, How did I miss this info while doing my research of this area? I looked at the same websites listed. I put my trust in the facts that were available to me at the time. How was I to find out that my new neighborhood used to go to Monroe MIddle? My realtor was restricted in talking about it. I have a co-worker that lives nearby and she felt that her children would be able to continue at Sun Valley until another new school was built. Where did I miss the talk of the proposed relief?

I bought this home in 1/08. In 5/08, my child's 5th grade teacher approached me with the info that Monroe Middle was to be my child's new school. I called Sun Valley then and was reassured that it was a mistake, my child would continue to Sun Valley not Monroe. But the writing was on the wall at that time. It was already too late for me. I already bought the home. I can not afford to move now. I am also very unsure of allowing my child to be a guinea pig in a social experiment. I would love to see Monroe experience a wonderful re-birth but not at the expense of my child.

I thought I did enough research to make a good choice. I joined the PTO and attended meetings. I listened but did not have the social contacts I may have needed. The info I was given came from seasoned locals not new comers with limited insight such as myself. I find myself feeling defensive to comments about not knowing the area and it's history.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 8,465 times
[quote]I'll also say again, Monroe schools do not have the lowest scores in the county but oddly enough, most people choose to believe that they do.

Saralee, please help direct me to where you are finding your test scores. The only ones I can find list Monroe Middle at 58.1 with East Union at 67.7. I would love to be better informed. Please show me where I need to be looking.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 PM

7,175 posts, read 12,327,982 times
Oct 21st is the meeting regarding the redistricting..you might want to look into it...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,365,453 times
[quote=MMPC123;5659860]
Quote:
I'll also say again, Monroe schools do not have the lowest scores in the county but oddly enough, most people choose to believe that they do.

Saralee, please help direct me to where you are finding your test scores. The only ones I can find list Monroe Middle at 58.1 with East Union at 67.7. I would love to be better informed. Please show me where I need to be looking.
I think she was referring to school(s) in the Monroe area, not just Monroe Middle. There are a lot of schools in Monroe.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 938 times
Default Proud MMS Parent

My name is Sharlene Apsega and I'm the president of the PTSA at Monroe Middle School. I have alot of feelings regarding the proposed changes. The main one is terrible upset. Not at the idea of our school getting new students but over the fact that our school is getting such a bad rap. I don't get it. Monroe Middle is a great school. Our test scores are some of the best in the county. The teachers and administrators are good caring dedicated people and the kids are awesome. People make it sound like the walls are covered in graffiti, drugs being sold in every bathroom and gang fights happening at every turn. That's not the case.

This is my fourth year as a MMS parent. My oldest child graduated last year and is now a student at Union County Early College. Another, a current student, is in honors classes. My youngest will attend in a few all to quick years. lol

Yes we have our problems and issues. All schools do. But to judge a school on the color of the majorities skin or the average pay check is just wrong. I've heard stories about Sun Valley and Weddington that'd prolly curl your hair. That doesn't mean I believe it unless I've actually been there to judge for myself.

PLEASE! Do accurate research. Come visit us. Judge for yourself. After all, what are you teaching your kids? To be critical of people other than themselves on rumor, speculation and false judgement?

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow, defending our school's reputation if it comes to that because I believe in my school. Monore Middle is a good place to be and it's only getting better.

Come up and say hi to me. I'll welcome you with open arms and Redhawk pride. And if your students do join us I look forward to seeing you at our monthly PTSA meetings. It'll be my pleasure to work with you.

GO REDHAWKS!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 AM

997 posts, read 3,206,952 times
[quote=SharleneApsega;5780778. I don't get it. Monroe Middle is a great school. Our test scores are some of the best in the county.

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a child going to Sun Valley or Monroe Middle, however I've been watching what's happening as I do have children in other schools here and redistricting school assignements was a hot issue where I came from and was a factor when we moved here. I have no issue with much of what you have said, I agree that color/race etc should not play a part in decision making, however, and if you have other numbers from somewhere, I'd like to see them, I do have issue with outright falsehoods.
The OP was concerned about test scores, here is some of the data I've seen:

all schools, from greatschools:
North Carolina schools - NC elementary, middle and high school information

Monroe Middle, from NC school report cards:
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ser...Year=2006-2007

Porter Ridge, a "middle of the pack school", from NC school report cards:
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ser...Year=2006-2007

Last edited by joanchris2000; 10-21-2008 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: syntax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte