Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times

Advertisements

Grandfather and kids tried a few spots but nothing that wowed them. Trying to get across that they do not need to go back to Jersey to have a decent day out!

Any suggestions in the greater-Charlotte area?

Thanks!

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
Moutain Island Lake Dam....it's like on the border of NW Charlotte.

I used to catch big catfish there..and some stripers.

Haven't been there in a while..and you will need a fishing license.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Best thing is to get what info you can from an experienced local fisherman. It is important to know what baits work best, what depths should be fished, knowing the proper size of hooks that are effective, and the best places, ie. coves, etc. I am a very experienced ocean fisherman and haven't fished in N.C. lakes for many years. I will begin next week. I do know that fishing is really good on Lake Norman and surrounding lakes if one knows what he/she is doing. To grab a rod and reel and worms and head to the nearest may or may not be effective. I used to have great luck doing just that. Where has your grandfather been fishing?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
We've been fishing at Badin Lake and had some pretty good luck. We've been using red worms and have caught lots of Brim and some catfish of decent size. We rarely get "skunked" but it has happened. Since we don't own a boat yet we have been shore fishing and since the water is up in the lake there are several good spots all around the lake.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks for these replies.

Spoke to the grandfather minutes ago. (Just an FYI, he's got to be the most cantankerous old man I've ever met.) He and the boys have only been to Cane Creek (Waxhaw).

He was an avid fisherman back home, Jersey. Asked him if he has a license (as recommended here) and he replied, "I didn't need one in Jersey." I don't know what he means by that. But we've learned not to ask him a lot of questions.

But, he jumped on it and told me to get the info and he'd get one right away. Got excited when I mentioned "brim" and "big catfish".

Delighted to see I can make the purchase online. Hope I choose the right options.

If there are additional suggestions on where to go (fishing, of course), please keep them coming. As long as the old man is occupied, I'm off the hook.

Sara

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/pg1a.asp

Last edited by saralee; 10-12-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: added website

Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 PM

how old is he?

I think if he's a certain age then he can fish for free

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

You will need his driver's license to purchase it online.

I would get the comprehensive if he plans to fish in different counties, and decides to fish for trout. It's about 20 bucks

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Fishing maps and locations

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Everything can be found online, huh? GEESH, I know that!

Hope the links here helps others.

Sara

Old 10-12-2008, 06:54 PM

237 posts, read 855,792 times
Try Cane Creek park, nice aea plenty of places to fish from. Becareful where you are though certain area you will need an SC license.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Maybe I should have known this ...

Attempted to take the boys fishing at Lake Twitty, found out it was closed for the season. I was surprised. Simply don't know any better.

Does anyone know if the same would apply to other local lakes:

Lake Lee
Lake Monroe
Wadesboro Lake

Are the following still good bets?

Lake Norman
Lake Wylie
Mountain Island Lake

The first ones are preferred due to proximity but I'm willing to give the other ones a shot too. Hoping someone here has personal experience at either.

Thanks!

Sara

Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Mountain Island and Lake Wylie have a dam.

A lot of people go to Mountain Island...you can fish off the tailrace pier or off the shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte