U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 24,921 times

Advertisements

When a builder (Evergreen Homebuilders) goes out of business, what happens to the spec/inventory homes they still have on the market? Do they then go to the bank in foreclosure or what? Could I get a good deal if they are out of business????

BTW homes has been on the market almost 3 years!!!- has been reduded $50,000 so far w/ no bites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,065,286 times
I believe they go to foreclosure, I was in the process of purchasing a home that the builder lost their loan monies , but the lawyer in charge of the home at that time would not take less than the home listed price and I was also told it could take up to 6 months through the court process. I surely didn't want to wait 1/2 a year to purchase a home and move in, so I kept searching for another new home. Hope this helps some.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,800,938 times
Evergreen homes is out of business??? they are still building in Union County unless something has changed...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 AM

Unfortunately yes..... they are out of business. I thought that they had just pulled out of this neighborhood because of the market. But after many people in the neighborhood told me so, I called a realtor and he told me that sadly they had gone out of business!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 AM

Default :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
I believe they go to foreclosure, I was in the process of purchasing a home that the builder lost their loan monies , but the lawyer in charge of the home at that time would not take less than the home listed price and I was also told it could take up to 6 months through the court process. I surely didn't want to wait 1/2 a year to purchase a home and move in, so I kept searching for another new home. Hope this helps some.
Well that is horrible news, I was hoping to get a good steal. Although it doesnt make sense for them to do that because all the builder needed was the loan for the materials and labor, so basically the house should sell for whatever the house took to be built, and not the profit that would have been gained. For instance, if the house was $180,000 and it only took $120,000 to build the house( i have no idea, just throwing numbers, I am not a buidler) then $120,000 is what the house should sell for right? I mean I dont know how they figure the numbers, but from what i am told, the banks just want the money they lended back, not the profit??? Could be wrong though....

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
There may be mechanics' liens against the house - subcontractors who were never paid. It is not as simple as what is directly owed to a bank.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM

23 posts, read 79,988 times
I also live in a neighborhood where the builder is broke. Beckwith homes. Once the model is for sale, I guess they are pulling out!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,742,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam9206 View Post
Well that is horrible news, I was hoping to get a good steal. Although it doesnt make sense for them to do that because all the builder needed was the loan for the materials and labor, so basically the house should sell for whatever the house took to be built, and not the profit that would have been gained. For instance, if the house was $180,000 and it only took $120,000 to build the house( i have no idea, just throwing numbers, I am not a buidler) then $120,000 is what the house should sell for right? I mean I dont know how they figure the numbers, but from what i am told, the banks just want the money they lended back, not the profit??? Could be wrong though....
Suggestion: You might want to check out "squatters rights" in the State of NC. I'm not joking. This debacle might take so long that if you moved in now who knows..maybe you will own the house before it's resolved.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,230,505 times
Good point John!

I think its a while though..20 years is what comes to mind for some reason.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM

693 posts, read 1,958,210 times
Hi! I was a paralegal for developer. I'm not 100% sure, but most spec projects have liens and loans up the proverbial wazoo. Just like any homeowner, if the loan can't be paid back...the bank acquires the property. When its sold, the investors will usually get a prorated share of the proceeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or