Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If you've ever eaten in the off-the-beaten-path restaurants in any major Chinatown, you know that what we think is Chinese food, isn't. When I vacationed in San Fran a few years ago a friend who lived there took us to a couple of those places. It's a whole different experience.

It's been a while since I've eaten at PFC, but even so I can see your point about the sauces. And it's definitely even more Americanized than most local Asian restaurants, but I think that's something they actually claim to be. I just like it on it's own merits.
# 1 way to tell if you are dealing with a "real" Chinese restaurant: they have chicken feet on the menu. Them's some good eats, right there. Fry 'em up and dip them in the hot mustard. yum-o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
# 1 way to tell if you are dealing with a "real" Chinese restaurant: they have chicken feet on the menu. Them's some good eats, right there. Fry 'em up and dip them in the hot mustard. yum-o
Chicken feet were one of the things I saw in the restaurants I'm referring to. Not something I can get really excited about. Grossed me out.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,350 times
Default ugg

iI DONT EVEN LOOK AT THAT AS PIZZA..GO TO SUPERMARKET U WILL GET THE SAME THINGG...I KNEW THAT PLACE WAS GONNA GO OUT OF BUISNESS BEFORE IT EVEN OPENED...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Just tried to get a pizza tonight at Papa Murphy's in Blakeney and it looks like it is closed! Not sure when or if anyone has mentioned this but I really can't believe it! Darn...I really liked their take 'n bake pies.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy41 View Post
iI DONT EVEN LOOK AT THAT AS PIZZA..GO TO SUPERMARKET U WILL GET THE SAME THINGG...I KNEW THAT PLACE WAS GONNA GO OUT OF BUISNESS BEFORE IT EVEN OPENED...
Please turn off your Caps Lock, thank you.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Following up on Buffet Dynasty, I am surprised they closed. Why, I just read in the Best of Matthews and Mint Hill magazine that BD was admitted to the Top 100 Chinese restaurants by Chinese Restaurant News. My goodness.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Following up on Buffet Dynasty, I am surprised they closed. Why, I just read in the Best of Matthews and Mint Hill magazine that BD was admitted to the Top 100 Chinese restaurants by Chinese Restaurant News. My goodness.
Its a sign of the economic times we are living in.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 21,459 times
A large number of businesses that are dying are ones established by folks that left the north, without jobs here, who thought they could put up a Pizza place, a Deli, a Diner, or whatever and make a living because "...Charlotte is a cheap place to live...". There are SO many "NY Style" fill in the blank businesses here now that the market is simply flooded....it's a supply/demand problem coupled with a lousy national economy.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Yes indeed. Eating out is a very easy expense to cut off quickly and these marginal places just won't make it. In addition most of these "NY style" places ought to realize that NY isn't exactly a sign of good food to Southerners anyway.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Yes indeed. Eating out is a very easy expense to cut off quickly and these marginal places just won't make it. In addition most of these "NY style" places ought to realize that NY isn't exactly a sign of good food to Southerners anyway.

And I'd add that when a Southerner looks for "NY Style" and finds that it really isn't up to par, the shine is gone off of that place.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Too bad y'all don't know that the only cheese that should go on a cheesesteak is Cheez Whiz. The only place I can find it is at Duckworth's. Hopefully it will never close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte