U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,068,693 times

Advertisements

That's pretty sad. I read somewhere that landlords not bending on rental rates are a large cause of businesses going under. I think that was the reason Eddie's Place in Toringdon went out also.

I wonder when they rent the space to a new tenant do they pay the same, or more, rent than the last tenant was paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,481,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Chicken feet were one of the things I saw in the restaurants I'm referring to. Not something I can get really excited about. Grossed me out.
Feet & faces are nasty.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,050,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I actually liked Phil and Tony's! Darn...

Check out their website for the reason for their closing: Phil and Tony's Italian Cuisine & Sports Bar - Home
Nearly everything in that shopping center is going out of business. Thats another shopping center that is fast becoming completely abandoned, much like the Galleria shopping center. It was thriving one year ago, now its dead. I wonder if the same owner owns that shopping center. I've heard the reason for the deluge of closings in the Galleria shopping center is because of the rent.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,357,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Nearly everything in that shopping center is going out of business. Thats another shopping center that is fast becoming completely abandoned, much like the Galleria shopping center. It was thriving one year ago, now its dead.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!!!!

Maybe "nearly everything" is a slight exaggeration? I haven't been through there in a few weeks, but I'm guessing the majority of the tenants are still there. I live near Galleria, and while there are vacancies, "becoming completely abandoned" in no way describes that center.

Don't be part of the panic.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,736,047 times
I'm kind of torn about Phil & Tony's posted reason for closing. They can't afford the rent and the landlord won't negotiate a lower amount. So they blame the landlord for going out of business? Unless the landlord RAISED the rent a lot, then it seems to me it's just another restaurant that couldn't cut it. If the rent was the same as when they moved into that location, then the problem is really that they didn't make enough business to pay the bills. That's not the landlord's fault.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM

128 posts, read 241,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!!!!

Maybe "nearly everything" is a slight exaggeration? I haven't been through there in a few weeks, but I'm guessing the majority of the tenants are still there. I live near Galleria, and while there are vacancies, "becoming completely abandoned" in no way describes that center.

Don't be part of the panic.
Come on now. You don't drink the sky is falling kool-aid too? I mean, some vacancies in a shopping center or building doesn't mean dire straits?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,138,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Nearly everything in that shopping center is going out of business. Thats another shopping center that is fast becoming completely abandoned, much like the Galleria shopping center. It was thriving one year ago, now its dead. I wonder if the same owner owns that shopping center. I've heard the reason for the deluge of closings in the Galleria shopping center is because of the rent.
Please clarify what you mean by "fast becoming completely abandoned". That plaza still has:

a running shoe store
Best Buy
a mattress store
Lane Bryant
Qdobas
UPS store
McAlisters
Batterys Unlimited
Stool Pigeons
Game Stop
A Shade Above (blinds)
CostCo
Lowes
Pier One Imports (lot of space in this mall)
and a bunch of other stores whose names I cannot remember from the top of my head.

IMHO, the reason P&T closed is because their food was not good.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,068,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Please clarify what you mean by "fast becoming completely abandoned". That plaza still has:

a running shoe store
Best Buy
a mattress store
Lane Bryant
Qdobas
UPS store
McAlisters
Batterys Unlimited
Stool Pigeons
Game Stop
A Shade Above (blinds)
CostCo
Lowes
Pier One Imports (lot of space in this mall)
and a bunch of other stores whose names I cannot remember from the top of my head.

IMHO, the reason P&T closed is because their food was not good.
The majority of the above are chain stores with deep pockets....you make a little less here and make up for it with other locations. Maybe the food wasn't good at Phil and Tony's but they were a privately / locally owned restaurant. This sort of situation promotes the crappy food of the chain restaurants like an Olive Garden (which food is much worse than a Phil and Tony's IMO) and pushed the little guy out.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,138,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
The majority of the above are chain stores with deep pockets....you make a little less here and make up for it with other locations. Maybe the food wasn't good at Phil and Tony's but they were a privately / locally owned restaurant. This sort of situation promotes the crappy food of the chain restaurants like an Olive Garden (which food is much worse than a Phil and Tony's IMO) and pushed the little guy out.
Excuse me, but I was not trying to start a chain vs. non-chain argument. But since you brought it up, I would rather go to a good chain than a crappy local place any day. I go to plenty of local places, some are better than chains and others are not.

The point of my post was that the statement "nearly everything in that plaza is going out of business" is incorrect.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,930,472 times
I've never been to that Phil and Tony's but if this was the same thing that was at the Arboretum a while back, I'm not surprised. Swingers and cougars. Terrible food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte