U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
San Antonio's in South Park is closing but City Tavern is opening there.

San Antonio’s Closes for Good « Charlotte Restaurant Traffic
San Antonio's wasn't open very long. Mexican food is a gamble in my opinion in Charlotte. I haven't been able to find the kind of quality I was used to out west around here thus far. Paco's Tacos is honestly the best I've had around here and that is VERY Tex-Mex.

Most of the locally owned places I've been to serve horse slop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,128,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
San Antonio's wasn't open very long. Mexican food is a gamble in my opinion in Charlotte. I haven't been able to find the kind of quality I was used to out west around here thus far. Paco's Tacos is honestly the best I've had around here and that is VERY Tex-Mex.

Most of the locally owned places I've been to serve horse slop.
Yeah, I didn't like SA. My wife likes Paco's and Zapatas but my favorite is Azteca. I usually get the ceviche which I guess isn't really a Mexican dish.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 PM

189 posts, read 286,668 times
Best part about San Antonio's was the dollar margaritas. Based on their urbanspoon reviews I made a safe choice by only getting chips and queso when stopping by for drinks.

Last edited by clevelandguy811; 01-18-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM

85 posts, read 265,765 times
Default Portofino's At The Arboretum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
There seemed to be some insurance issues with that mystery fire. Last time I was able to peek in there, there was nothing but some plumbing in there.
I've spoken with servers at two Portofino locations and the insist that they will be moving into that space at the Arboretum once some code issues are resolved.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,155 times
Could not be more excited about Portofino going into the Arboretum!!!! What part of ceviche is not a Mexican dish?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 AM

The service at San Antonio was unbelievably rude. I knew within ten minutes of our first visit that it would not last. Did the snarky servers think we couldn't hear their sarcastic remarks?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yeah, I didn't like SA. My wife likes Paco's and Zapatas but my favorite is Azteca. I usually get the ceviche which I guess isn't really a Mexican dish.
I'm not big on Azteca. Yes it's good for Charlotte but its not very good compared to Mexican food I'm used to out west. Salsa's was the best I had around here before they closed. Cabo's is awful.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Try La Unica on South. The green salsa alone is reason to go. It's bright and clean, good service and great food.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM

445 posts, read 680,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm not big on Azteca. Yes it's good for Charlotte but its not very good compared to Mexican food I'm used to out west. Salsa's was the best I had around here before they closed. Cabo's is awful.
Those that are used to Mexican food out west and in Texas will probably feel that the eastern variety is not good as well as vice versa.

I happen to like Azteca but felt that Salsa's was so-so and the service left a lot to be desired.

One thing I did notice....... the further west you go; the better the salsa. Lots more chilies and chunks out west rather than the tomato puree they service here in the east. But most places here have a hotter salsa if you prefer and you just have to request it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

445 posts, read 680,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Try La Unica on South. The green salsa alone is reason to go. It's bright and clean, good service and great food.

La Unica in Indian Trails is very good and the service is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte