U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

Another one bites the dust . . . Christian Bernard Jewelers at SouthPark . . . big clearance sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 AM

494 posts, read 1,183,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Well, and the food was absolutely horrible IMHO.
BUT we never ate breakfast there, only lunch and dinner occasionally over 10+ years.
We always wanted it to be good.

Perhaps breakfast was their meal.

I agree...the concept was cute but the food was terrible. We tried it several times for breakfast and it was just bland. Not surprised it closed.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,996,296 times
A lot of places mentioned on this thread are restaurants, and honestly, I wouldn’t look at restaurant closures at all as gauge of the economy. Restaurants constantly open and close, even in good times. Before the recession we saw places close here like Gus’s in Uptown that had been around for years, and places like BD’s Mongolian BBQ in University City that was only open for about a year (just examples). Both of those places where popular and had tons of customers in good times, but still didn’t make it. A lot of these restaurant folks are going to use the recession as an excuse, but the truth is, that’s just the nature of the business they’re in. More significant are the non-restaurant closures.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM

494 posts, read 1,183,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
A lot of places mentioned on this thread are restaurants, and honestly, I wouldnít look at restaurant closures at all as gauge of the economy. Restaurants constantly open and close, even in good times. Before the recession we saw places close here like Gusís in Uptown that had been around for years, and places like BDís Mongolian BBQ in University City that was only open for about a year (just examples). Both of those places where popular and had tons of customers in good times, but still didnít make it. A lot of these restaurant folks are going to use the recession as an excuse, but the truth is, thatís just the nature of the business theyíre in. More significant are the non-restaurant closures.
Great point!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,148,198 times
Quote:
A lot of places mentioned on this thread are restaurants, and honestly, I wouldn’t look at restaurant closures at all as gauge of the economy. Restaurants constantly open and close, even in good times. Before the recession we saw places close here like Gus’s in Uptown that had been around for years, and places like BD’s Mongolian BBQ in University City that was only open for about a year (just examples). Both of those places where popular and had tons of customers in good times, but still didn’t make it. A lot of these restaurant folks are going to use the recession as an excuse, but the truth is, that’s just the nature of the business they’re in. More significant are the non-restaurant closures.
True enough, typically what you are seeing now though are places that are don't have enough working capital to get through the thin times and are using lines of credit to make it through. Many that have good working relationships with their vendors can get through by cutting back staff and reworking menus etc. However the ones that are don't have experience and running day to day on credit are the ones that are dropping faster. Credit is dried up and there's nothing to use for operating capital. Right now, an independent needs a minimun of 2 years working capital in the bank to make it through (not sure that's enough right now). They have to run very lean, and keep food costs and labor costs as low as possible. The less experienced operators don't know how to do that and fall in a hole they can't climb out of.

Last edited by jlat; 01-28-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,056,300 times
I talked to a friend today who is a waitperson at a popular steakhouse on South Blvd (very very near La Paz ) They said that business has been off, but even worse were the tips. 5-10% has become the norm where 15-20%+ used to be the norm. I feel for the people working in the service industry taking such a huge hit: less hours AND less in tips. Sad.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Quote:
Exactly. It is bad....

See Circuit City, Linen's and Things, and Libby Lu's as examples....

Old 01-28-2009, 05:53 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Exactly. It is bad....

See Circuit City, Linen's and Things, and Libby Lu's as examples....
I guess this could mean that construction will have a slow ramp-up even after the economy in general picks up again. There are so many empty retail spaces that new units won't be needed for a long time.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I guess this could mean that construction will have a slow ramp-up even after the economy in general picks up again. There are so many empty retail spaces that new units won't be needed for a long time.
That is true.

Also, add another one to the list....

Joe's All American Grill in Indian Trail is dark and seems to have bit the dust.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,133,672 times
There is a whole strip mall behind the Shell station that I normally go to near UNCC on 49. Practically the whole thing is empty including the showroom for the Portrait Homes townhouses that are being built behind my subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte