U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
From the road, the one at the Arboretum appears to be in business as usual.
Netflix and Redbox (not to mention online streaming alternatives) have crushed Blockbuster.

They rested on their laurels and the marketplace decided on better alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,923,434 times
The Blockbuster at the Arboretum gave up half of its space to that crappy noodle place at least 18 months ago.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,917,931 times
The Bi-Lo on Little Rock Road just closed shop.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Baja Bistro on Prosperity Ch Rd has been closed now for a couple of weeks.
Piece of advice for the next person to open a business in that unit, don't put in a Mexican/Southwest grill....unless you wanna go for the hat-trick.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,544,842 times
Last night my husband and I and a couple of neighbors decided to try Kavkaz a Lebanese restaurant much praised for its excellent food out on Stallings Rd. A bit of a trek for us but having heard such rave reviews about the food we decided to make the trip. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was the empty parking lot, next was the "For Lease" sign.

By this time we could taste the tabouli and the dolmades, so out came our Blackberries to locate Aladdin's Eatery off Lawyer's Road - another middle eastern place that had been recommended. Our Blackberries didn't fail and we found it quite handily - except it wasn't there. The young lady in Mac Donald's next door told us that it too had closed.

We next tried Bonefish which had a 40 minute wait. After all of this, we ended up at GadoGado on Trade Street in Matthews. The prices are reasonable and, as always, the shrimp and grits was great.

I was distressed to find that Kavkaz, a family dream, had not made it. The location was not good I fear.
Aladdin's Eatery is one of a chain that has done well in other cities. I wish it had been able to make it here.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,224,971 times
Kavkaz was mentioned on a thread earlier in the week...someone was looking for it as it has apparently moved. Another poster thought it had moved somewhere in the Ballantyne area, but nobody seemed to know for sure. Sorry you drove all the way out there! Hopefully someone will surface soon with info on Kavkaz. I love Lebanese food, and I'd love to try it!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,315,832 times
Restaurants come and go all the time....it's one of the riskiest business ventures out there. There are many closing these days, but there are many opening as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 9,234,136 times
I hear that Mamma Mia's Too in Huntersville has closed. And I believe Harbor Inn Seafood in Charlotte has closed.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM

416 posts, read 807,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Last night my husband and I and a couple of neighbors decided to try Kavkaz a Lebanese restaurant much praised for its excellent food out on Stallings Rd. A bit of a trek for us but having heard such rave reviews about the food we decided to make the trip. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was the empty parking lot, next was the "For Lease" sign.

By this time we could taste the tabouli and the dolmades, so out came our Blackberries to locate Aladdin's Eatery off Lawyer's Road - another middle eastern place that had been recommended. Our Blackberries didn't fail and we found it quite handily - except it wasn't there. The young lady in Mac Donald's next door told us that it too had closed.

We next tried Bonefish which had a 40 minute wait. After all of this, we ended up at GadoGado on Trade Street in Matthews. The prices are reasonable and, as always, the shrimp and grits was great.

I was distressed to find that Kavkaz, a family dream, had not made it. The location was not good I fear.
Aladdin's Eatery is one of a chain that has done well in other cities. I wish it had been able to make it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Kavkaz was mentioned on a thread earlier in the week...someone was looking for it as it has apparently moved. Another poster thought it had moved somewhere in the Ballantyne area, but nobody seemed to know for sure. Sorry you drove all the way out there! Hopefully someone will surface soon with info on Kavkaz. I love Lebanese food, and I'd love to try it!
BarbJ-That happened to us and we were dissapointed as well. When we got home I looked on their website and something new had been added saying "located in South Charlotte"- confused me because the few times I went ( really enjoyed and posted about them here under a thread - opinions on must eat places) we went to Stallings Road for them. Then called the number which was disconnected. Sounds like a new location will be emerging soon!
I also enjoyed Aladdins as well and was sad when I posted about them closing here also. A long time ago! Do you have me on ignore?
I could have saved your time and gas.

I will post WHEN I find them and please someone do the same.

Also wanted to add for cheesehead- A friend of mine who is Russian turned me on to Kavkaz. She loves their borsch. this place has lots of Russian and Armenian flair in their "Middle East" dishes.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM

409 posts, read 988,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I hear that Mamma Mia's Too in Huntersville has closed. And I believe Harbor Inn Seafood in Charlotte has closed.
Yes, Mamma Mia's is closed, and the property (including the old house) is up for sale. Unfortunately, one possibility for the property that was mentioned in the local weekly was to raze the building and put a convenience store there.

I'm not at all surprised it closed - in fact, I am shocked that it remained open so long when you seldom saw more than one or two cars in the parking lot. We ate there once, and were the only people in the place. Food was good, but way too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte