U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,690 posts, read 4,084,602 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most of the time good restaurants don't close, though there is definitely exceptions i.e. I thought Salsa's was great Mexican food for around here. Most closings seem to be chain restaurants or poorly run independents. Take La Isla for instance. The food was okay, but it was always dead and to make matters worse they played uncensored rap music in the restaurant. While that may be appropriate for a bar/club, I found it totally innapropriate for a restaurant. Last time I ate there I wondered why the place was even open.
That's not true at all. It takes more than a resturant to simply be "good" for it to stay in business. You should research the resturant industry. Again, resturants open and close all the time. Its a revolving door. Its one of most risky businesses to be in. You can do everything right, have great service, great food, and lines out the door, and still close because you miscalculated your food costs, or your building rent, or your opearting costs, etc. This thread started in 2008. I'll say it again, as long as this thread is mostly speaking of resturants, it will never end.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
 
1,664 posts, read 1,510,239 times
Reputation: 532
Sure, restaurants close due to bad business plans, crappy food, incompetent management, and surly wait staff. This does happen all the time. However, good, well managed, restaurants close only during long term recessions and economic downturns. For most people eating out is an easy expense to cut out and closing restaurants are a clear sign an area is in economic distress. Many of the restaurants mentioned in this topic are long term favorites so I think it is worthy of discussion. And there have been discussion of non-beanaries here as well which is a further sign of this downed economy in Charlotte.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,690 posts, read 4,084,602 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Sure, restaurants close due to bad business plans, crappy food, incompetent management, and surly wait staff. This does happen all the time. However, good, well managed, restaurants close only during long term recessions and economic downturns. For most people eating out is an easy expense to cut out and closing restaurants are a clear sign an area is in economic distress. Many of the restaurants mentioned in this topic are long term favorites so I think it is worthy of discussion. And there have been discussion of non-beanaries here as well which is a further sign of this downed economy in Charlotte.
I take issue with everything you just said. You have absolutely no way of knowing if any of these restaurants that closed were "well managed" or not. And many of the restaurants mentioned here were not "long time favorites". And the ones that were long term favorites, how do you know they simply haven’t run their course? I’ll ask you guys again to research the restaurant industry and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. Restaurants come and go all the time. New ones, long time favorites, chains, independents, all of them. It’s the industry. This thread is pointless. It should be renamed, "The revolving door of the resturant industry".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
 
1,042 posts, read 1,390,942 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
This thread is pointless. It should be renamed, "The revolving door of the resturant industry".
If I learn about a place that has closed down and it saves me making a wasted trip, then the thread is not pointless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,844 posts, read 12,488,328 times
Reputation: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
The old "new business" thread is here:

The Good News Thread

Sad that there's nothing new there in over a year. Somebody please post some good news and bump this topic up!
I make my posts about new businesses in Gastonia & Kings Mountain separately, since most people are not interested.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,690 posts, read 4,084,602 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
If I learn about a place that has closed down and it saves me making a wasted trip, then the thread is not pointless.
That wasn't the point of this thread. It was supposed to highlight business closings as it relates to Charlotte and the recession. My point is that the heavy focus on resturants is misleading. I stand by that claim. As I've said a million times, the resturant industry in characterised by constant openings and closings. Someone should start a seperate thread for resturant information.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
 
1,664 posts, read 1,510,239 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I take issue with everything you just said. .... Iíll ask you guys again to research the restaurant industry and youíll see exactly what Iím talking about. ....
Seems to me that if you are taking "issue" with what is posted here, then it is on you to do this research.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,608 posts, read 4,960,555 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech2002 View Post
I heard that the Salsa's at Sardis and Monroe closed yesterday. I haven't driven by to confirm it for myself, but if so, it makes me sad. That was one of my favorite places to go for lunch with my co-workers.
They still have 2(?) other locations. One in Ayrsley and one off of Pineville-Matthews Road.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,608 posts, read 4,960,555 times
Reputation: 3555
Just found out that Red Lion in Ayrsley recently closed. In that case, I will blame the management. The place was awesome when they first opened. Then after the first year they started cutting corners on the food big time (same names on the menu, far inferior quality), cutting down their wide beer selection...the people who owned and ran that place had something good and let it go down the tubes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Mauldin
341 posts, read 473,895 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Just found out that Red Lion in Ayrsley recently closed. In that case, I will blame the management. The place was awesome when they first opened. Then after the first year they started cutting corners on the food big time (same names on the menu, far inferior quality), cutting down their wide beer selection...the people who owned and ran that place had something good and let it go down the tubes.
+1. After our last visit, I'm not surprised at all. Went from incredible handmade fish and chips to Food-Lion frozen crap.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top