Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,660 times

Advertisements

There's lots of empty storefronts in the Overstreet Mall and Founder's Hall. Uptown is just not a shopping destination. Seriously, if you're in the burbs and you want to go shopping, would you want to deal with the traffic and parking Uptown? While the Overtreet is convenient to workers, it hides away the retail stores from street traffic, so that was probably a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 AM

494 posts, read 1,348,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
There's lots of empty storefronts in the Overstreet Mall and Founder's Hall. Uptown is just not a shopping destination. Seriously, if you're in the burbs and you want to go shopping, would you want to deal with the traffic and parking Uptown? While the Overtreet is convenient to workers, it hides away the retail stores from street traffic, so that was probably a bad idea.
So true...I've been here for 5 years and didn't have a clue. Whenever we have gone to Uptown on the weekends it has been a ghost town. Luckily, now w/ the Epicentre it is great in the evenings...now we've got to get some family oriented places that are open on Sat & Sundays!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Doorway WHAT? you missed the bernstein bears orchestra holiday cheer ?

IMO most fun way to enter this place is go into Founders Hall at Trade & Tryon there restaurants and shops on first level take the grand stairs to go upstairs and feel like a princess , wave to crowd and one of the corners is a walkway that goes over trade st I cant remember if there is a view from there.
Then you will run into open area near the Omni and there is steps to continue on and there is a view on this over street walk nothing much down the hallway , the ymca is there and I always felt it was one of the fanciest there nothing really down this hallways for public except a 4 star MC'donalds
YOu can continue down the hallway and you will at one point enter a parking garage (I know weird)
but it leads into the Wachovia Atrium.

To me it has airport shops feel to it you know cater to crowd they sell to buisness people . go there with low expectations and you will find it unique

Old 01-16-2009, 02:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,180,951 times
Circuit City

Bankrupt electronics retailer Circuit City Inc. said Friday it has asked for court approval to close its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sell all its merchandise.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I think there is more traffic and parking issues in certain parts of the suburbs than in Uptown Charlotte. If there is traffic Uptown, it usually flows. By the way traffic (which isn't always fun) = vibrancy. People complain about Uptown being dead and then when there are people and traffic they complain about that. I agree that when you hide retail from the street most people don't know it's there. All Uptown is missing is street-level shopping and it will come eventually as the center city continues to grow. By the way, there are some retail shops that will open in the Epicentre.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,660 times
They weren't kidding when they warned you not to give CC Gift cards for Christmas presents.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Well, another store in Indian Trail bites the dust.

The bagel/deli place next to Sun Valley Cafe is done.

I'm po'd....he was a good guy w/vg bagels and sandwiches...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well, another store in Indian Trail bites the dust.

The bagel/deli place next to Sun Valley Cafe is done.

I'm po'd....he was a good guy w/vg bagels and sandwiches...
Sorry to hear this . . . sadly, I think we are going to keep seeing these closings. This is a loss for the neighborhood as well as for the business owner himself.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,243 times
I saw a few days ago that a gift store in the Arboretum is closing...J. Rawlings or something like that, over near Michaels. I've never been in there, but I hate to see vacant stores. I hadn't been over there in a while, so that may not be something recent.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I saw a few days ago that a gift store in the Arboretum is closing...J. Rawlings or something like that, over near Michaels. I've never been in there, but I hate to see vacant stores. I hadn't been over there in a while, so that may not be something recent.
Empty storefronts are bad all the way around. 2009 is gonna be the year of empty storefronts. Hopefully, that is only a short term situation. I just feel so bad for the individual store owners who are seeing a dream die when those shops close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte