Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 12,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I thought it was a Twilight Zone episode based on a short story, not a movie.
That is correct. It was based on a short story by Damon Knight of the same name. Yes, I am old (ish).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,274,354 times
I stopped by the Borders going out of business sale at Northlake. There are some decent deals in there. Got a cookbook for $2.67. Took the opportunity to walk into that mall. It's sad. There is an entire row of closed stores on the top level. It reminds me of the Freedom Mall once it started it's decline. i.e. OK concept, wrong place and wrong time. Never heard of the Freedom Mall? Exactly.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,423,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I stopped by the Borders going out of business sale at Northlake. There are some decent deals in there. Got a cookbook for $2.67. Took the opportunity to walk into that mall. It's sad. There is an entire row of closed stores on the top level. It reminds me of the Freedom Mall once it started it's decline. i.e. OK concept, wrong place and wrong time. Never heard of the Freedom Mall? Exactly.
And to boot I keep hearing rumors that Carolina Place is struggling as well, though it usually seems pretty busy to me.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,978,057 times
I dont see how Carolina Place is doing bad. The place is packed on the weekends and very busy during the week. It has a low vacancy rate and has stayed up to date in the years.

Northlake Mall is very up to date and modern. I wouldnt say the vacancy rate is high, but theres a few more then they probably would like. I wouldnt be overly concerned.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,978,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Back on topic, I visited the Stonecrest location today and, true to form, the prices were no lower than their normal discount, yet the place was being cleaned out with most items at the 20% off level.

More important, can anyone please identify the smell between Borders and Harris Teeter? It was as if the back end of a horse smacked me in the face in 100 degree heat. I saw more than one person holding their nose today.
What people seem to forget is, Borders isnt selling these items, the liquidator they have come in sells it all. They take the MSRP, and then, take the discount off. The "borders price" will be when they go to 30 or 40% off. The real deals wont be until 2-4 weeks before they close.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 AM

45 posts, read 147,489 times
If you are talking about the empty row of stores upstairs across from Pottery Barn, then you are talking about the new Apple Store that is coming. They are working on it. Trust me, if there was any indication that the mall was going downhill, Apple would not even come close to opening there.

Confirmation Of Next North Carolina Store

Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,517,146 times
I don't have any numbers but given how many cars I see over at CP on the weekends they don't seem to be doing that badly. I bet some people are glad that CP is going to have an Apple store.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,198,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
And to boot I keep hearing rumors that Carolina Place is struggling as well, though it usually seems pretty busy to me.
Carolina Place is fine, I don't know why people think it's going downhill. Vacancy in that mall is very low. I usually go to Carolina Place even though I am closer to Southpark because CP is more to my income level.

As for Northlake, I am somewhat worried about it but the Apple store will give it the boost it needs. Hopefully they are able to find another tenant for the Borders space. Northlake was unfortunately built going into the most terrible recession since 1929 and many of the original chains have been chains that have gone out of business.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,274,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilk23 View Post
If you are talking about the empty row of stores upstairs across from Pottery Barn, then you are talking about the new Apple Store that is coming. They are working on it. Trust me, if there was any indication that the mall was going downhill, Apple would not even come close to opening there.

Confirmation Of Next North Carolina Store
Yes this would be it. However, I notice the link they give for the building permit seems not to work now. There did not seem to be any sign of construction taking place as I did look for it.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,724,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Both Carolina Place and Northlake are doing well. This link below was posted before in response to one of Yantosh’s responses, but she ignores the info because it doesn’t help promote the propaganda about Charlotte she is trying to push.

“…Three of the area's four major malls - Carolina Place, Concord Mills and Northlake Mall - reported occupancy rates above 90 percent. Generally, that's considered the cut-off point for a healthy mall…” Link: Charlotte malls staying healthy | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/12/25/1934664/charlotte-malls-staying-healthy.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte