U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 AM

3,151 posts, read 1,839,139 times
Default Drivers License

Can anyone give me advice on this issue. I bought a house in Waxhaw. I will not be a permanent resident, only coming down maybe once every other month, long weekends, holidays, etc. I have a NY drivers license. Can I get a NC drivers license as well and have both? What have other people done as far as registering vehicles? I'm a little confused and overwhelmed right now. Closing at the end of the month.

Thanks,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 AM

327 posts, read 702,306 times
To my knowledge, you cannot have both. If NY will remain your primary residence, you should keep your NY drivers license. Why do you want a NC license?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,936,524 times
Legally, you can't have both. But, technically, if you go to NC without your NY driver's license, they will issue you a NC DL if you show proof of residency and proof of identity. I don't know the specific documents you need, but you can look on the NCdot website for specific information.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,011,291 times
i believe you would just keep your NY license as that is your residence and you are just visiting NC. you can't have both. it would be cheaper if for insurance if you had NC rather than NY, but if NY is your main residence it's easier to keep that one.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,936,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
i believe you would just keep your NY license as that is your residence and you are just visiting NC. you can't have both. it would be cheaper if for insurance if you had NC rather than NY, but if NY is your main residence it's easier to keep that one.
I agree totally. You could get an NC DL and register your cars here in NC rather than NY. Check out the car insurance rates here as well as the car registration and taxes first to compare. You can search this forum for the specifics on the charges that NC has to help you compare. I'm not sure what part of NY you're from, but if you're from NYC, I think you'll find it less expensive here.

Congrats on the house!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 AM

124 posts, read 286,679 times
Just wanted to mention that you can't have both because the NC DMV actually takes your out-of-state license from you when you switch it over and no, they won't give it back.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM

18,954 posts, read 13,073,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
Just wanted to mention that you can't have both because the NC DMV actually takes your out-of-state license from you when you switch it over and no, they won't give it back.
That's what they did to me! Took my out of state license and gave me my NC license. Also, if you insure your cars in NC you must have a NC drivers license.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM

123 posts, read 192,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
What if you request for a new DL, saying that you do not have one till now.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM

124 posts, read 286,679 times
Then you're going to have to reapply, which means going through the road test.

When you change your license over from another state, you only need to take a written (on a computer, go figure) test.

It's just less of a hassle to switch it over.

Try looking here:

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM

18,954 posts, read 13,073,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpreets View Post
What if you request for a new DL, saying that you do not have one till now.
So you don't have a current DL? If you are just "saying" you don't have a DL but in reality you do in another state---well, this is the age of computers and they will know right away if you do already have one! If yoiu don't currently have a DL you will have to do what the above poster said! Start at square "A".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte