U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,515,972 times
Default Good Luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmhulett View Post
Thank you for your respeonse. I will look into that and I will be putting my house up for sale...at this point it may be worth losing $$ just to get out of here and move back to Fort Mill.
Having that kind of thing happen to you is very frightening. I can certainly understand why you would feel like that. Putting your home up for sale in this market may not be the wisest idea. Maybe you should install an alarm? Make sure that your car is in the garage at all times? If you do not have a garage, then, have a car alarm. A dog works, too, thieves are usually afraid of dogs. Even if it is a small one that just yips a lot...get one from a shelter. They are usually very loyal and will protect you (as well as offer good company).

And, LOTS of LIGHT. Install motion detectors with bright floodlights at every corner of the outside of your home. Thieves also hate light. And, install a timer inside that randomly turns on lights/radios at different times of the day/night. the idea is to keep the thugs guessing. You don't want to be predictible when there are these kinds of people around.

Hope these ideas help. It will be difficult, but, you can get over this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 AM

10 posts, read 15,967 times
Thank you for this advance. Most of it we do already have. I have 2 dogs, I already have a house alarm.. We only have a one car garage and rotate whoever is going to work first. Thank again for the advice, I will be installing a floodligh on a timer that is good!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:37 AM

35,075 posts, read 41,389,102 times
Do you have a neighborhood watch? Do you know your neighbors? How long have you been in this home (how much of a history do you have there, and has there been other crime on your street?) Have you discussed this w/ your neighbors? Have your other neighbors experienced crime in the past? This may be totally random and never happen again - or it may be that you are living in a place that is easily accessible by thugs . . .

Is there something different about your house that would attract thugs to it? Are all the houses the same on your street (same set back, same type of landscaping, leave a car out at night, etc). You need to think about these questions to determine whether there is anything you can do to make your house less of a target. If the other neighbors are basically in houses like yours, leave their cars out, etc . . . perhaps the type of car you own is easier to hot wire, for example, so that is why they chose your car instead of someone else's.

I know that many will disagree w/ this, but I would get a firearm and learn how to use it. Have signs on your property re: your house alarm. Leave floodlights on at night.

This would not be a good time to put your house on the market. Just b/c you try to sell it doesn't mean you will. It is better to figure out how to keep your house from being a target. The chances of a vehicle being stolen again are small, but you do need to figure out WHY they chose your house/car. It could come down to something as simple as your house having less light around it . . . or that your model of car was easier for someone to hot wire - or it is a model that is high on the target list for stripping (to sell parts).

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 AM

35,075 posts, read 41,389,102 times
According to a RDU news station, this article from July/08 lists the most often stolen models of vehicles in NC.

North Carolina's most popular stolen cars - 7/10/08 - Raleigh News - abc11.com

Most of the cars, trucks and SUVs are more than 10 years old.

Honda Accord -- 1996
Honda Civic -- 1995
Ford F150 Series -- 1997
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee -- 1996
Toyota Camry -- 1993
Ford Explorer -- 2002
Ford Taurus -- 2001
Dodge Caravan - 1994
Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup -- 2000
Ford Ranger -- 1996

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 AM

11,760 posts, read 17,700,661 times
Having Lojack installed or if the car has OnStar can help the cops to track the car & recover it faster.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 AM

630 posts, read 1,174,510 times
Honestly, that's the same stolen car lists thats been around for the past 10 years. I've wondered the accuracy of that list for years. How many 96 Accords can even be left if they get stolen so frequently?

I'd suggest watching It Takes A Thief. They have some good ideas there. Motion sensor everything. Timer lights. Alarm. Steel doors. Reinforced door frames (most forced entries are from kicked in front doors). Don't cover any entry points with bushes and stuff. If you have a screened in porch, put the alarm sensors in there as well. Stuff like that.

When we buy our next home it won't be in an HOA and will have a moat and drawbridge with alligators, so that's always an option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte