U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Is waiting until Veteran's Day Weekend too late to see fall leaves in the mountains? If not, anyone have any recommendations of where to go then (with kids)? I think some of the seasonal family activities will be closed by then.
I would suggest at that date that you consider going to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. They are at a lower elevation than the Parkway and should be just right of just past peak for your visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I was looking for this thread on the Western Carolina forum to tell you what a great time we had. We decided to go to Grandfather Mountain, and had a great time. Being one fry short of a happy meal, I didn't realize it would be SOOOOO cold up there. Only downside of that is that we drove most of the mountain instead of climbing it, but enjoyed it just the same. Loved the mile high bridge and the bears. I could have driven one end of the parkway to the other and never felt bored. I am deffinately going back in the spring to see all those rhododendruns in bloom!!! It must just as spectacular as the fall foilage? Gorgeous mountains!!
I'm SO glad you enjoyed your time up at Grandfather Mountain Yes, it is just as beautiful in the spring - just with a different set of colors! Definitely go back when you can do some of the trails!!! YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR KIDS!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,290 times
They were with us and loved it. They are convinced they heard a screaming female panther in the woods and ran as fast as they ever have. Maybe we spent too much time at the wild life center????

Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM

149 posts, read 529,430 times
We are headed back up with some friends on Saturday!! Hope to get some great pictures!! I love the mountains!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Heading out there today but in the truck. Probably freeze to death on the HD. Will post pics when back!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,129 times
We went to Blowing Rock this past Saturday
(Insert touristy picture of Blowing Rock here =>)

It was an easy 1 1/2 hour drive from Huntersville. Traffic was not a problem on the way up but wow! Blowing Rock was bumper to bumper with no place to park... very crowded. But very very nice. We even ate outside and had a wonderful time. I was surprised leaves were still very green. It will be better this weekend or next.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
I was looking for this thread on the Western Carolina forum to tell you what a great time we had. We decided to go to Grandfather Mountain, and had a great time. Being one fry short of a happy meal, I didn't realize it would be SOOOOO cold up there. Only downside of that is that we drove most of the mountain instead of climbing it, but enjoyed it just the same. Loved the mile high bridge and the bears. I could have driven one end of the parkway to the other and never felt bored. I am deffinately going back in the spring to see all those rhododendruns in bloom!!! It must just as spectacular as the fall foilage? Gorgeous mountains!!
I've driven from Winchester to Ashville on the Blueridge Pkwy with the rhodos in bloom. You'd really enjoy it.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 AM

149 posts, read 529,430 times
Nice pic Xcape! I love the Blowing Rock area! All the shops and restaurants are great for a nice weekend in the mountains!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've driven from Winchester to Ashville on the Blueridge Pkwy with the rhodos in bloom. You'd really enjoy it.
Yes, I've never seen so many! I kept thinking that they must be magnificent in the spring. It is on my spring "to do" list. Thanks Southbound. Whats your ETA ?. Should be fairly soon, right?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM

21,872 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Yes, I've never seen so many! I kept thinking that they must be magnificent in the spring. It is on my spring "to do" list. Thanks Southbound. Whats your ETA ?. Should be fairly soon, right?
If my memory serves me well it was early June when I made that trip with my ex & we stopped at Asheville for the Biltmore. He wanted to go to Ruby Falls, so then we took a road through Cherokee through the hills up to TN & headed on to Chattanooga (That might be a nice drive in the fall, for color.) & then down to Rome GA.

I think it was early June because we bought fireworks at Winchester & took them to a friend of mine in Rome. Her kids had just gotten out of school a few days before.

My closing is Oct 30th. I have a couple of ends to tie up here, get on 295 southbound, then 3 stops to make in Delaware & then I'll just cruise down 95 to 85. When I get south of the Capital Beltway, I'll decide if I'm driving through or stopping around Richmond.

If the color is good on 85, I'll report that. I figure even if it's good on 95, that's too far. Nobody wants to drive to Petersburg for fall color.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-22-2008 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or