Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times

Advertisements

Be for warned, I was just up there and things are changing late this year due to the rain and late warmer weather. The higher you go the better chance you have. Western Carolina and Tennesee are my favorites. Blue Ridge is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 AM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Dori I would suggest getting on the Parkway at hwy 70 in Asheville and heading north. Almost immediately you will encounter the brand new, beautiful Destination Center. Take the time to watch the approximate 15 minute movie in the theater - it is so well done - about the history of the Parkway. From there you should continue north to Craggy Gardens. There are some great colors up there right now and some trails you could hike with your kids that are not difficult. There is a great picnic area there at the parking area, so consider bringing some lunch or snacks too

We went there this past weekend and the section that you are speaking of is closed due to a rock slide. They detour you at highway 70, then onto I-40, and you can't get back on until exit 86. I wish I would have known that before we went, but we turned around and took the southern route instead! Here is a link for the closures of the Parkway.
Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumssb View Post
We went there this past weekend and the section that you are speaking of is closed due to a rock slide. They detour you at highway 70, then onto I-40, and you can't get back on until exit 86. I wish I would have known that before we went, but we turned around and took the southern route instead! Here is a link for the closures of the Parkway.
Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)
It has been widely reported here on C-D and in the media about this closure at the Craggy Garden area of the Parkway. HOWEVER, you can STILL access Craggy Gardens, its picnic area, bathrooms and trails. If you went all the way up there and didn't discover that I am truly sorry for you! It is truly beautiful there right now, especially the closer to Craggy Gardens you get.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM

LoveMountains, that is dissapointing. I have been there before and it is beautiful, that is why I wanted to go this weekend! They should really clarify that for those of us who aren't in the area that often. It said to detour so we did and since it was only a day trip we didn't want to waste time driving all the way up only to have to turn around. Well, we are planning to bring our friends up on the 25th. Maybe we will try that again! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumssb View Post
LoveMountains, that is dissapointing. I have been there before and it is beautiful, that is why I wanted to go this weekend! They should really clarify that for those of us who aren't in the area that often. It said to detour so we did and since it was only a day trip we didn't want to waste time driving all the way up only to have to turn around. Well, we are planning to bring our friends up on the 25th. Maybe we will try that again! Thanks for the info!
What a shame! The detour signs on hwy 70 are to show people how to get on I40 to access the Parkway on the other side of the rockslide at Mt. Mitchell, but you still CAN get on the Parkway at hwy 70 in Asheville and go north - wish that had been clear for you guys!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Loves, you are amazing. THANK YOU for the suggestions and the clarification on the detour. We're looking forward to trying it out!!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Loves, you are amazing. THANK YOU for the suggestions and the clarification on the detour. We're looking forward to trying it out!!
Glad to help Hope you love it up there!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What a shame! The detour signs on hwy 70 are to show people how to get on I40 to access the Parkway on the other side of the rockslide at Mt. Mitchell, but you still CAN get on the Parkway at hwy 70 in Asheville and go north - wish that had been clear for you guys!

Oh darn, that just gives us another reason for a drive next weekend! Shucks!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Is waiting until Veteran's Day Weekend too late to see fall leaves in the mountains? If not, anyone have any recommendations of where to go then (with kids)? I think some of the seasonal family activities will be closed by then.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Glad to help Hope you love it up there!
I was looking for this thread on the Western Carolina forum to tell you what a great time we had. We decided to go to Grandfather Mountain, and had a great time. Being one fry short of a happy meal, I didn't realize it would be SOOOOO cold up there. Only downside of that is that we drove most of the mountain instead of climbing it, but enjoyed it just the same. Loved the mile high bridge and the bears. I could have driven one end of the parkway to the other and never felt bored. I am deffinately going back in the spring to see all those rhododendruns in bloom!!! It must just as spectacular as the fall foilage? Gorgeous mountains!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte