Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 PM

462 posts, read 1,837,211 times

Advertisements

The wife and I did some driving around this weekend and drove through downtown Monroe. It looks like it is really run down and a mess. Is it really as bad as it looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:24 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,068,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
The wife and I did some driving around this weekend and drove through downtown Monroe. It looks like it is really run down and a mess. Is it really as bad as it looks?
Dont expect much of a response. People dont want to hear that and will turn away from comments like that. People only want the positives. I personally travel thru Union county and the Hwy 74 area to go to the beach or visit family every now and then, the sprawl and traffic there is so terrible I find it undesirable to live, but it doesnt stop people.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM

117 posts, read 491,193 times
Last year when I visited Union County I got the same feeling while driving on Hwy74. I'll admit though when I drove off the highway into the neighborhoods it was completely different...very nice areas. It may be the case or Monroe or not, but dont be too quick to judge a whole town or city from driving down a few streets.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,086 times
Quote:
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. It really does not look THAT bad to me, and I am not being snide. While there's not a whole lot going on (by way of shopping or eateries), nothing frightens/concerns me about downtown. The buildings are old, and the city could do some work jazizng things up but it just really doesn't look "run down" to me.

It would be nice to think that a revitalization is in the works but honestly, I haven't heard or read anything about that yet. Maybe someone here has information but honestly, there aren't a lot of posters here whom have expressed interest in Monroe.

SL

Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,739 times
It all depends on where you came from. I do not think Monroe is bad at all but then again the town I came from was once just like Monroe, actually exactly like Union County. If you are not use to the "rural" area, then it will look run down and horrible. As far as revitilization, again, that is moving to a new area and changing the natives whole way of life. Just like moving into a new area and changing everything. In short, it is a way of life and those who are use to it, does not mind how it looks. That is why I chose this area, it is what I am use to and others should chose accordingly as well. But to down a person's way of life or living, that is all a matter of opinion I suppose.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM

462 posts, read 1,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
It all depends on where you came from. I do not think Monroe is bad at all but then again the town I came from was once just like Monroe, actually exactly like Union County. If you are not use to the "rural" area, then it will look run down and horrible. As far as revitilization, again, that is moving to a new area and changing the natives whole way of life. Just like moving into a new area and changing everything. In short, it is a way of life and those who are use to it, does not mind how it looks. That is why I chose this area, it is what I am use to and others should chose accordingly as well. But to down a person's way of life or living, that is all a matter of opinion I suppose.
I did not mean to offend anyone. Seriously it was not my intention. I guess I could have put it a little bit better, and I would not care if they changed it or not and my sub is only a short drive down the road. I guess I felt that it had a ton of potential business wise but it seemed there were a lot of empty spaces. It could also have been that the wife and I were on the whirlwind tour this weekend and our perspective was skewed. Keep in mind we drove 12 hours down Sunday morning went to the neighborhood and other areas outside of it just to look around only to be in the car again Monday afternoon to drive 12 hours back. The old feel to the city is not what had me wondering how the area was, it was more of the fact that there did not seem like there was much commerce. Like I said my view could have been skewed and is pretty much why I asked for an opinion on what other thought and experienced with the city. Again, I did not mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I did.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,086 times
One reason we chose to Monroe over other areas is development is slower in this part of the county, and coming from Jersey (without an inch of real estate to spare) we welcomed the change in scenery. I've said it here multiple times, we love Monroe.

SL

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,308 times
Quote:
There is a lot of work to be done. My wife had a business downtown, but she moved out 3 years ago.

On the bright side, a friend of mine is buying downtown buildings and is updating them. He is also trying to bring some residential units there, too. I feel that if Downtown can attract some residential interest, everthing else will fall in place, and things will take off. We just need to get rid of some of the "good old boys" who still own many properties, but are willing to just sit on them. Lets let the progressives make some changes. Positive things can and will happen, it just takes a little time (and effort).

Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 107,807 times
I think Downtown Monroe has been neglected for awhile - it seems like a town that has promise, but really would be years before it's a thriving area. Monroe does have some spectacular older, Victorian homes that aren't really available in most places around here.

74 (the road leading from Charlotte to Monroe) is showing signs of "rehab" (for good or bad) and a number of new shopping centers and stores have been going in there. I think that as Western Union county continues to sprawl - the Indian Trail area, in particular, will start to generate new interest in the area.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM

38 posts, read 95,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall2u View Post
There is a lot of work to be done. My wife had a business downtown, but she moved out 3 years ago.

On the bright side, a friend of mine is buying downtown buildings and is updating them. He is also trying to bring some residential units there, too. I feel that if Downtown can attract some residential interest, everthing else will fall in place, and things will take off. We just need to get rid of some of the "good old boys" who still own many properties, but are willing to just sit on them. Lets let the progressives make some changes. Positive things can and will happen, it just takes a little time (and effort).
oooh, thank goodness for the "progressives" What would the rest of us do but sit here in our own trash. Your attitude is condescending and exactly what's ruining small towns all over America. The "good old boys", as you described them, OWN the property and, at least until the supreme court gets a hold of it, it's theirs to do with as they see fit. It's been my experience that a business that meets an unfilled need of the community, with the perception it's priced fairly and serves the public respectfully will most likely succeed. (Capitalism 101)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte