U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 9,813 times

Advertisements

Who would you recommend going to at Modern? For style and for color. Which salon would you go to? Phillips place or Ballantyne?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM

422 posts, read 1,217,035 times
Just my opinion, but I do not like modern. The staff there is horrible and they do a horrible job. Its just the "hype". Ive been to both, phillips place and ballantyne and they were both bad.

I personally go to Carmen Carmen in Ballantyne for my hair and wax. They are awesome!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM

175 posts, read 495,353 times
I just went to Modern and I HATE the color on my hair. I paid almost $200 and she did a terrible job. :-( I agree w/ the above poster, I usually go to Carmen, Carmen and they are great.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,666,848 times
Default newbeginnings

Who do you see at Carmen, Carmen for hair and wax?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM

513 posts, read 1,915,767 times
I have to agree about Modern. I went there a few times for color and never really liked it (over $200 later). When I went to Planet 21, they told me I really did not need the highlights AND "color wash" that I got at Modern. They said it seemed Modern was adding on services I didn't need just to get more $$ out of me. I LOVE my color I get at Planet 21 and it costs me a lot less.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM

176 posts, read 471,064 times
One of my best freinds goes to Carmen Carmen in Ballantyne and loves it but I personally don't like Carmen Carmen. When I went they were very pretentious and told me I should be a model (it was really fake) and totally screwed up my hair and it was really expensive. Yeah right, me a model! I'm short and have pale skin and black hair. I am not model material. I will never go back because they were so snobby. I drive all the way to Greenville, SC to get my hair done because my stylist is the only one who does my hair exactly how I want it and does way better than the pretentious salons in Charlotte. I've also heard good things about Planet 21 but I've never been. I guess if you don't mind fake and pretentious people you could go to Carmen Carmen.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,171,352 times
I think that a lot of salons in the South Charlotte area are overrated. It's as though they have to put out the "snob-factor" to attract the customer who feels that to get a quality cut they have to plunk down mega $$$.

I've been to Modern Salon on the recommendation on one of the above mentioned customer types. I liked the cut, but was APPALLED at the price of the color. When I called to request pricing for color, I was told it would be from $75 "and up"...well I ended up paying $175! This did not include the cut or the tip!

I found Planet 21 to be overrated as well. I didn't get the feeling that the stylist was listening to anything I was requesting (as far as the cut goes). She cut my hair with a razor, which is a big no-no for my type of hair texture. The color was nice, though.

Carmen and Carmen...well, I walked in to get a pricing menu and the attitude of the person at the front desk completely turned me off. Total snob! I refuse to pay $$$ to be treated like a second-class citizen!

But... there is light at the end of the tunnel...if you are willing to travel.

There's a place in downtown Waxhaw called "Fuzion", where you can get a cut and color for a reasonable price.
The stylist are completely down-to-earth, funny and TALENTED!
I went to Gina, who is just lovely. She's from New York, worked in New York City (for those of you who care about that), and the quality of her work proves it.
I felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of girlfriends while I was there. Everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves. There is nothing pretentious about this place, but the quality of the work is definitely on par with the more expensive, high snob-factor salons that I've been to.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM

422 posts, read 1,217,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Who do you see at Carmen, Carmen for hair and wax?
I go to Onya for cut, and Lilly for waxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte